Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: An awesome qutoe I thought I'd share.  (Read 9271 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An awesome qutoe I thought I'd share.
« on: August 04, 2010, 09:05:29 am »

It's part of a conversation in which a few people are comparing DF to Wow, though some of you may have already seen this.

They can't really be compared. One has shitty, outdated graphics, an unintelligible UI, no story, and has been so badly tainted by the hordes of hopeless nerds that spout day and night about its esoteric yet uninteresting inner functions that whatever decent experience it may have offered underneath it all has been completely overshadowed to the point where it's really hard to call it a 'game' or even 'fun'.

The other is Dwarf Fortress, which is amazing.

EDIT:: Here's another, which is also pretty entertaining:
A word of warning from shanealeslie of BoingBoing before you begin to scale the 90 degree learning curve:

"I play Dwarf Fortress. Sometimes I wish I was a meth addict instead."

I've played a guitar with my penis.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An awesome qutoe I thought I'd share.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 10:46:17 am »

Awesome Dwarf Fortress quotes are why Bay12 forum is the only forum where reading people's signatures is worth your time.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 11:33:48 am »

Yeah, though my signature is kinda sub-standard... I'll go change it.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 11:45:56 am »

To C4lv1n
I thought dwarf fortress IS commie as debated in this link
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62654.0

First quote was just purely awesome beyond epic description, but what does meth addict really mean?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 11:58:53 am »

First quote was just purely awesome beyond epic description, but what does meth addict really mean?

Hmm... http://www.horrorphile.net/the-meth-epidemic/ is somewhat overblown with the "Nightmare" banner, but the before/after pictures of meth addicts (especially the former model) are pretty much what you need to know.

Meth is both debilitating and incredibly addictive.  (It also primarily afflicts the rural populations, while cocaine tends to be the drug of the urbanites, powder for the rich, crack for the poor, but that's a distinction that has little to do with DF.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 12:19:09 pm »

Unless dwarves discover it growing underground and use a Farmer's Workshop to Process Plants.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 12:35:49 pm »

That's what DF needs. MORE substance abuse!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 01:11:16 pm »

Unlike many drugs, Crystal Meth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methamphetamine) is not directly derived from a single plant, but from a variety of (common household) chemicals and legal medications (which can have multiple organic or chemically derived sources).

Essentially, a Meth Lab simply needs access to a pharmacy and a grocery store and a wide open space to brew them where the frequent detonations of the volatile compounds will not go noticed by the police. Hence, why it is primarily a rural drug - it can be produced without any international connections to illegal-crop-producing farms, and it requires the ability to hide your meth lab in a secluded area.

The sort of things you'd just find underground would be more like "Magic Mushrooms" (which I believe are simply dried out, no further processing needed), or some underground analogue of marijuana or opium.  I believe the original source of LSD was a fungus, but it needs to be seriously chemically derived, first.

Of course, Magic Mushrooms are poisonous alongside being psychotropic, while LSD is just very, very powerful, and essentially rewires your brain (so that you "see scents" because your brain's nasal nerves become linked to the optics portion of your mind) to the point where you can cause permanent brain damage, but they aren't addictive, as other drugs like cocaine or meth or anything made from opium are.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Drug_danger_and_dependence.png  (Note that caffine is in the middle, there)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 01:25:52 pm »

Are you a med student or something?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 01:27:29 pm »

No, why?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 01:27:47 pm »

The sort of things you'd just find underground would be more like "Magic Mushrooms" (which I believe are simply dried out, no further processing needed), or some underground analogue of marijuana or opium.  I believe the original source of LSD was a fungus, but it needs to be seriously chemically derived, first.
We already have weed. Ever wonder what quarry bush is? An underground crossbreed of tobacco and marijuana.
And the reason he thought you were a med student was because how much you knew about the subject.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 01:34:18 pm »

And the reason he thought you were a med student was because how much you knew about the subject.

Which in and of itself doesn't mean much.  I knew a guy who had memorized the Schedule I and II lists, and had a good handle on III and IV, and he was *not* a med student... ;)
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 01:41:54 pm »

I was actually referring to an underground analogue of the coca plant, which was used by the South Americans for a very long time and was once in Coca-Cola.

See, in very small doses it's a simple stimulant, rather akin to caffeine. It's only when you concentrate it that it turns deadly and addictive. So it's easy to visualize dwarves using it like coffee, maybe mixing some coca in with their booze, and then, well...

Urist McAddict cancels Work: Smoking crack.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 01:47:05 pm »

Indeed. I've yet to see anyone that knows much about drugs that isn't a doctor or student.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 01:53:21 pm »

I watch History Channel.  They have a mini-series called "Hooked: Illegal Drugs and How They Got That Way".

... plus I just like learning about things.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6