Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kiln isn't making plaster!  (Read 4570 times)

Cr2O4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kiln isn't making plaster!
« on: August 04, 2010, 12:49:44 pm »

I was in the first autumn of my fortress, and my dwarf expedition leader/miner fell down a shaft and broke his arm and his leg. I dug a secondary stairway down to where he was, and carried him back up to the hospital. He then lay there for months as I frantically searched for some gypsum so I could make a plaster cast. During this time, my chief medical dwarf had diagnosed him and sutured his wounds, but still said he needed his bones set. Eventually, I found some gypsum (above my fort, where I hadn't thought to look  :-[ ), mined it out, and had empty bags galore, as well as seven or eight binfuls of coke. The kiln, however, still said (and says) "No tasks available; check for raw material access and fuel if necessary." Help!

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kiln isn't making plaster!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 02:06:34 pm »

First off, you don't have to have plaster. It is nice to have for your hospital, but your doctors can immobilize limbs just using splints. You can have your carpenter make splints in the Carpenter's Workshop (at the end of the menu--- scroll down!)

Second, your kiln needs "fuel" (charcoal or coal coke) as well as an empty bag and gypsum, alabaster, selenite or satinspar to make plaster powder, according to the Dwarf Fortress Wiki (at: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Kiln).

To create the fuel, you need a wood furnace to burn wood and make charcoal, or "coke" bars which can be traded for or created in a smelter by burning lignite or bituminous coal in it. Please note: if you have don't have any fuel to begin with so you can convert lignite or coal into coke at the smelter, to get the process started, you will need to build a wood furnace to make that first bar of charcoal. That bar of charcoal can THEN be used by the smelter to start coverting the lignite and coal into coke.

Even if you have everything (ie, the fuel, empty bag, and gypsum or other plaster yielding stone), sometimes you can only get the process ordered by using the Manager. I don't know why, but I have found from time to time that I couldn't order the making of gypsum plaster from the kiln, and had to go into the Manager to schedule the job through it, just like trying to make soap in a soap workshop for the first time. It happens. Letting you know so that little gotcha won't get you.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 03:52:07 pm by Lord Darkstar »
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Cr2O4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 03:36:11 pm »

Thanks for the help!  ;D

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 02:49:22 pm »

I put this bug into the bug tracker in the wiki -- hope that isn't stepping on toes for who created it.