Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #9: Feedback  (Read 43514 times)

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #9: Feedback
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2010, 08:15:58 am »

Capntastic, Rainseeker, mallocks, Ollieh, and Toady One: you are all awesome. :) Thanks for taking the time to do these.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2010, 10:56:57 pm »

The very fact that people would be motivated to say that video games are not art is all the proof I need to know that video games are art.

Now you're just moving the goalposts...  ::)

Of course he's moving the goalposts. Someone said they weren't art, and he happens to have the wall-space in his dining room.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2010, 12:40:01 am »

The very fact that people would be motivated to say that video games are not art is all the proof I need to know that video games are art.

Now you're just moving the goalposts...  ::)

Of course he's moving the goalposts. Someone said they weren't art, and he happens to have the wall-space in his dining room.
That's got to be a huge dining room...

Blackdutchie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2010, 04:28:09 am »

art and gaming, gaming and art... games and art... games and shakespeare...
this got me thinking...

isn't dwarf fortress sort of comparable to a thousand monkeys typing away on a thousand typewriters (i lack specific knowledge of the size of the playerbase but theres 17 thousand registered forum members)
this has produced such stories as boatmurdered, battlefailed, epic characters like cacame and tholtig.

and there's where my train of thought sorta derailed back into what i was listening to, which was the DF talk.
so it re-railed.
de-railed back onto another rail with is the rail it previously derailed from into the side rail.

Note to self: next time you think try waking up first.
Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Flying Carcass
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
The first lesson taught by DF is patience.
The second: Madness.
The third: Magma, properly applied, solves all problems.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2010, 05:18:41 am »

I have a constant problem while listening to DF Talks; My thoughts wander off thinking what the cool things discussed would make possible in DF. All the riding on top of dragons and building Minecraft-like hovels in Adventure Mode. This makes me lose half what's said and I have to make an effort to rein my thoughts back in to the talk.

The random games in taverns are particularly effective in making me temporarily lose my comprehension skills.

Nothing that can be fixed on your end, but a slightly annoying thing that happens. The good thing is that it makes a second listening much more interesting, though my thoughts tend to wander off in the same parts.

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2010, 09:23:51 am »

I have a constant problem while listening to DF Talks; My thoughts wander off thinking what the cool things discussed would make possible in DF. All the riding on top of dragons and building Minecraft-like hovels in Adventure Mode. This makes me lose half what's said and I have to make an effort to rein my thoughts back in to the talk.

The random games in taverns are particularly effective in making me temporarily lose my comprehension skills.

Nothing that can be fixed on your end, but a slightly annoying thing that happens. The good thing is that it makes a second listening much more interesting, though my thoughts tend to wander off in the same parts.

I've the same problem... then I try to rewind and either go too far or not far enough and then get confused... and end up listening to a bit I did pay attention to and want to get to a new bit so skip on to get back to where I was when I lost the thread and then go to far and suddenly the topic is something that seems nonsensical... "how did we get from carvings in adv. Mode to kitten eye colour tracking?"
I need some sort of podcast bookmarking software for my phone...

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2010, 04:11:49 pm »

I didn't think I was a good listener, but apparently I am.

I have to wonder how many people here have difficulty walking and talking at the same time... ;)
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2010, 05:06:31 pm »

I didn't think I was a good listener, but apparently I am.

I have to wonder how many people here have difficulty walking and talking at the same time... ;)
That sounds pretty mean-spirited. I hope I'm misunderstanding you on some level.

Anyway, the weirdest thing is, this is the only podcast this happens to me with.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2010, 08:52:52 pm »

The transcripts by mallocks have been posted, available at the DF Talk page or here:
Transcript
Extra Hour Transcript
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2010, 09:08:11 pm »

Indeed, this is a significant part of the reason that I personally prefer to wait for the transcript.

The transcripts by mallocks have been posted, available at the DF Talk page or here:
Transcript
Extra Hour Transcript
Well, I'm glad I poked my nose into this thread. I'd have waited a long time if I'd just continued to assume it'd be linked from the Dev notes.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2010, 10:32:18 pm »

Transcript
Extra Hour Transcript

Thank you, Mallocks.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2010, 02:07:48 am »

Multiple cores ... don't hold your breath

So that's it huh? "I'll screw around with micro-multi-threading a bit, but nothing more"?

So Dwarf Fortress is plowing headlong towards a dead end, and it's time for me to jump ship while I still can, is that what you're saying?

Because that's what I'm hearing.

mallocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2010, 03:49:55 am »

Multiple cores ... don't hold your breath

So that's it huh? "I'll screw around with micro-multi-threading a bit, but nothing more"?

So Dwarf Fortress is plowing headlong towards a dead end, and it's time for me to jump ship while I still can, is that what you're saying?

Because that's what I'm hearing.

Questions about development are more appropriately put in the thread here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60554.0

gralcio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2010, 04:05:33 am »

In my mind eyes I see an army of elves, on horses, they fall into a chasm -- they started their circle-based-turning too late.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2010, 05:55:45 am »

In my mind eyes I see an army of elves, on horses, they fall into a chasm -- they started their circle-based-turning too late.
Such things are actually a military tactic that was used.  Pits and dry moats were often built with small hummocks to make them harder to see in time to make a turn away from them while gallopping.  Even mildly fortified locations could be very expensive on calvary.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6