Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #9: Feedback  (Read 43345 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #9: Feedback
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2010, 02:00:30 pm »

All generalization or absolute statements are false, except this one.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2010, 06:07:58 pm »

Then you'd increase your repertoire, you'd trade in your time and the years of your life for some more skills, and you could then practice them on people as well when you're actually fighting, and you could get better at them that way, but you won't learn new skills that way, unless you fight people long enough and then you suddenly realise 'I know how to do the eagle punch all of a sudden! I understand the deep mystery!' There could be things like that especially if we have universes that are move like Fist of the North Star, then that kind of thing would start to happen, but mostly we're thinking training with warriors and so on.

I long to adventure as dwarf-Kenshiro.

Oh, and with the bakery talk...

"You are already bread."
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2010, 08:45:52 pm »

The previous posters are absolutely right...DF is a tool for creating art*.  I get exactly the same feeling building a fortress as I do painting. 

*A tool for creating art could also itself be art, depending on the tool

uioped1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2010, 05:23:56 pm »

About the restrictions on guiding mounts, shouldn't your mount have at least the capabilities of the native animal, just with restricted player control?

As a player riding a horse, chasing a horse, we should be able to reasonably approximate whatever movements our target makes...

I like the idea of running at full tilt reducing the range of movements we can make, but I don't think a horse should suddenly be unable to turn around once something sits on it.

Also fun would be increased possibility of tripping or other mistakes, and similar mechanics should happen whenever a creature pushes itself beyond it's normal limits.  A good example is carrying an elephant carcass and two bins of lead bars.  Just slowing you down is a poor abstraction.  Other examples are butchery accidents when you don't get enough rest, or try to do it too quickly.

What would be the response of the dwarf eating their fine rum roast, only to discover poor Urist's thumb?

Fluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2010, 08:55:16 am »

What would be the response of the dwarf eating their fine rum roast, only to discover poor Urist's thumb?

Knowing dwarves, they'd suck the food off and then start using the thumb as a weapon.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2010, 01:01:34 am »

I always love listening to the talks. They're awesome. :3
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Dowjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2010, 07:22:38 am »

Loving the game so far, but I heard there was once magma rivers.

Can we has again? Soon? :o

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2010, 10:10:06 am »

I love Dwarf Fortress Talks. I listen to them while playing the soundless adventure mode!
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Autochton

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2010, 06:47:39 am »

This is a creation tool. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It has an image of dwarves on it. The dwarves are laboring. The image refers to the creation of dwarven fortresses across many parallel universes. It has an image of elves on it. The elves are burning.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2010, 03:58:00 pm »

This is a creation tool. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It has an image of dwarves on it. The dwarves are laboring. The image refers to the creation of dwarven fortresses across many parallel universes. It has an image of elves on it. The elves are burning.

Cool and all, but what does this have to do with the DF Talk podcast?

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2010, 01:40:25 pm »

Cool and all, but what does this have to do with the DF Talk podcast?

A short discussion we had on this thread re: DF as art or tool to create art.
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]