Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does anyone do this?  (Read 4546 times)

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does anyone do this?
« on: May 05, 2012, 04:20:20 pm »

Embark with 6 miners/other jobs and a farmer just to get a fort carved out? Then reclaim? My main problem with DF is that I make a fort which design-wise does not fare well long term.
In the end it just starts to sicken me to look at it because I hate things going wrong or being inefficient, so I just abandon.

I haven't actually done this but surely its a good idea?

Edit (I am actually someone who is saddened to see their dwarves die, which seems to be a minority in this forum)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 04:24:55 pm by Mudcrab »

Zerkuron1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone do this?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 04:34:43 pm »

I tried it a few times and it works. The only thing you have to do after every re-embark is to claim all items. They are scattered around the map.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 05:08:44 pm »

Yes I do have huge problems with that, I just hate things not looking the way I imagined them. I sort of just build the first fort in the upper levels and then flood it when I move deeper to the real fort proper.

I can't abandon.. because I'm far too connected to my people than probably anyone else in this forum.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 05:12:30 pm by caddybear »
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 05:11:27 pm »

not really, I just embark with some extra pickaxes and dig fast. The only skill I really consider vital is the farming, so the booze and food goes a bit better

to save points, I don't take any rope, crutch or splint, but a few of every cloth type and a piece or 2 of green glass (for moods), no thread, no quiver, no backpack or whatever. Similarly you can save on food by bringing a turkey gobler instead of (more than) 8 meat, the main difference being that you need a butcher, refuse stockpile and food stockpile to get this going well.

so many ways to save points, so complicated too, often.
I just don't like abandoning for something like that. Just do an advanced world gen and raise your embark points if you're being cheap like that
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 05:25:11 pm »

Nope. I enjoy seeing how the design of my fortress evolves as it turns from a hole in the ground filled with poor, scavenging drunks, to an extravagant keep filled with rich, gluttonous drunks. The mistakes along the way just add character to the fort.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 05:27:09 pm »

Yes I do have huge problems with that, I just hate things not looking the way I imagined them. I sort of just build the first fort in the upper levels and then flood it when I move deeper to the real fort proper.

I can't abandon.. because I'm far too connected to my people than probably anyone else in this forum.

I do my best to keep everyone alive. My casulties, over all games, 72 dwarves. Out of about.....500 I have played with. DAMN YOU URIST MCSTEELTITANSOFBRAINROTTINGVAPOR!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 05:30:00 pm »

I wish I could just let go and laugh manically as my dorfs run about dying and bleeding profously but I just can't bear it. The same with my fortress design, if things start to get too cluttered or messy or cramped it just upsets me!

Same with all games, in black and white 1 I couldn't bring myself to be evil, fable aswell etc etc

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 05:39:33 pm »

Aye, I take fabulous care of my dwarves. And in B&W2 I almost always defeated the other civilizations by winning them over with my magnificent cities.

I'm actually so benevolent that I even try to take good care of almost all creatures that visit my embark area, with the exception of the animals hunted down by my crossbow squad, the fish from the nearby river, and the local kobolds...

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 06:29:51 pm »

Let us all keep in mind, that with the latest versions your abandons won't kill your starting 7, they will come back in a migrant wave
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 06:38:07 pm »

I always embark with seven unskilled Dwarves, seven picks, two axes, one rope, one anvil, three pigs (one male), five turkeys (one male), a breeding pair each of dogs and cats, 25 plump helmet spawn, 9 seeds for everything else except dimple cups, 30 of each booze, and 4 -5 of every "meat" I can afford plus perhaps 4-5 of some fish.  This gives me a lot of barrels because different meat types are not stored together.  I save some time by using an embark profile minus the meat and fish.

My founders dig an entrance, a farm area in the soil, a water source, and then head straight for the magma.  The first wave of migrants begin farming, and whatever else they can do with their skills.  The founders pasture the two draft animals at the beginning, and move all the supplies into the entrance.  I usually make a temporary meeting place where the depot will later go.

This leaves me free to design the rest of the fortress after there is more labor available.

I don't like to abandon a site that has not been destroyed by enemies or some other outside force.

If I were you, I would leave the game paused at the beginning and plan out the digging for a defensible entrance.  Use that for temporary shelter and storage while you work on the rest of the fortress.  There is no need to rush while the game is paused.  Time is not passing for them.  *smile*

Also, turn on the initial save and the saves in spring.  Even if you exit through the normal save, you can always go back to your spring position.  Just make a copy and rename it so you don't overwrite it after your restart.  What I mean is that it will say "something-spr-someyear".  You want to copy it and rename it "something", after you have deleted your faulty "something".
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 06:39:56 pm by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 07:26:40 pm »

Well, as evil is portrayed only as stupid psychotic assholes in video games, who don't care about anything but violence, it is pretty hard to assume their role. Not surprisingly the two most common evil - selfishness and ignorance - is totally ignored. (You are still a hero even with a kill count higher than two World Wars together... and i could rant from this point for pages...)

On topic, i used to do this to terraform large chunks of land. I like my fjords hand-made.
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 09:18:51 pm »

Let us all keep in mind, that with the latest versions your abandons won't kill your starting 7, they will come back in a migrant wave

Start with several Miners. Abandon. Reclaim with more Miners. Abandon. Repeat as desired. Reclaim to do a proper playthrough. Squee as an entire motherfucking army of bearded midget drunks migrate in and dig the entire embark from the lowest z-level up in the blink of an eye.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 10:05:23 pm »

I abandoned the fort when my metalsmith got a mood and wanted steel bars because I didn't have flux and the caravan just left. Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 05:25:40 am »

CHEAT! >:(

Okay, so I had this one cool volcano fort with iron that I reclaimed quite a few times.

In the end, the only living beings inside were a crazed dwarf supersoldier who pretty much one-shotted every member of every reclaim hence with a -steel spear-, and an equally über goblin lasher.
In the non-living inhabitant department, there was no shortage of ghosts, though, even if I tried to slab and bury as many as I could on every embark...

"That's the old embark trail to Siegemachines... We don't go there any more."
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 05:34:53 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.