Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Kohaku's Yet Another Magic / Wizard Rant!  (Read 7923 times)

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
Re: Kohaku's Yet Another Magic / Wizard Rant!
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2010, 06:01:05 pm »

Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2010, 06:09:28 pm »

The hard part about making an interesting magic system procedurally is that the really interesting magic in most settings is the stuff that breaks the usual rules. Fireballs are boring, forcing your foe into mental combat in which his superior strength is useless is interesting. Since any procedurally generated system is a set of rules it could be quite difficult to correctly balance that with the necessity of bending/breaking the normal rules of the game. The best example of this I can think of is Magic: The Gathering(yes, totally unrelated, but it conveys my point well) the really fun cards aren't the ones that summon creature or damage your enemy, but the ones that alter the basic mechanics of the game, changing it into something very different.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2010, 07:15:00 pm »

Fireballs arn't uninteresting... But how often are Fireballs fireballs?

How often are Fireballs just crystalised damage? -10hp hurled into the air.

A fireball in a game where things do burst into flames, where creatures do get burned, and where you may decide against it because you could end up burning yourself is very interesting.

It is one of the main reasons why Ice magic in Oblivion is ultimately VERY boring.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2010, 07:24:15 pm »

A fireball in a game where things do burst into flames, where creatures do get burned, and where you may decide against it because you could end up burning yourself is very interesting.
A fireball in DF would be very FUN, I'll admit. Mainly due to dwarves ignoring it...
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2010, 10:41:49 pm »

Urist McWizard looks out upon the carnage he has wrought! The fireball landed perfectly amongst the goblin foes, lighting them on fire and sending them fleeing around.

Brush fires started up, sweeping across the valley, but despite the smoke in his eyes, Urist McWizard has his eye on the prize...!!Pig Tail Left Mitton!!

I can just imagine a wizard chucking a fireball and getting burnt up trying to loot the body while the flames are still burning :D
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2010, 03:52:26 pm »

I was saying how it is important to consider how magic should be related to physical structures

If we built in game 'workshops' that were for specific magics, it'd almost guarantee that they should be there (or why would it be there in the first place?) Unless you start going into tech trees of magic =/

Or if magic were linked to a landmark in the landscape (like say swamps filled with blue plants) to give such a magic a chance of being the landmark is made, but that automatically guarantees it a place simultaneously if you were to have a 'quota' of how many magics there are in a world.

Magic systems I could recall of would be the elemental, nature, 'pure' combative, working, pure, corrupt, scale and theoretical.

Elemental being more of a scientific approach I guess splitting magic down into elements (or spheres). Could also imagine a more 'martial arts' usage of it with all manner of things from psychics to magicians having 'tuned' to a specific element or something. (already mentioned I know but it helped my train of recall)

Nature, pretty much tuning into life and the universe sort of thing, using connections to acquire energy and control to cast spells you need, simplest being fertility magic to get plants to grow and 'grandest' steering far away comets and stuff.

'Pure' combative gets into more flavourless magic missile stuff, but is all centered around fighting and gets into ki stuff and what you might call 'physical' magic.

Working magic is simply magic put to use in the workshop, simply, maybe humble, but like any trade something you refine all your life.

Pure, only way I could honestly describe what you might call holy magic without creating immeadiate associations to being holy or being light vs. darkness or anything. What is typically shared is 'pure' feelings of kindness etc. so I call this the magic of being nice healing, empowering, (bringing back from the dead maybe) etc.

Corrupt, Pure's opposite based on corrupt intention, you could say killing, but I'd say painful death, curses, necromancy and generally upsetting everyone (is not be be immeadiately associated with darkness or anything like that)

Scale, for those acts of magic that are just big or small beyond comprehension, easily associated with other kinds, but in a class of its own for requiring thinking outside the box, or those that can't think inside the box to start with

Theoretical, flavourless like combat and working maybe, but I'd say this is the 'comprehension' of magic at its smallest to largest levels, making use of the innermost mechanics to get the job done with efficiency (i.e. magic nobody but your enemy supervillains will use, or that old guy in the shack)

I'll admit those are somewhat generic >.> though genericism is still worth having around when you consider what might happen if procedurally generated magic juggles them all up in a box =3
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]