Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Advice on how to start a RTD.  (Read 2719 times)

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Advice on how to start a RTD.
« on: August 05, 2010, 12:30:45 pm »

I want to start a RTD and I need a bit of help to get started, I'm going to be using Cinnamon Rolls, and I need general advice on pretty much everything RTD related, thanks for any help in advance. :)
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on how to start a RTD.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 04:44:11 pm »

It's not that complex, really. Just come up with an idea, roll with it and ask people if they want to play. All you really need for most basic ones is a six-sided dice; as you get more advanced, you can integrate your own systems like hit points, damage, statuses, etc.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 04:53:52 pm »

I also hear that some people use random.org to do the die rolls, but IMO, using physical dice is preferrable over the randomizer if you have the dice available.

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • Has withdrawn from society.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 10:34:14 am »

The Law of Conservation of Detail.
I know this is probably irrelevant, but this is one of the major rule I once violated, and my RTD collapsed under its own sheer weight as a result...In short: Do not put too much irrelevant details into the game.

And if you're going to include a plot, do not do too much railroading. And depending on the seriousness of the game, the importance of actually staying on plot may vary.

Finally...Hosting a roleplaying game of any sort can be cumbersome sometimes. Try to keep it going as long as you can comfortably.
Good luck!
[Tvtropes links...Be careful:)]

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 10:45:03 am »

Thanks guys, and don't worry about the Tvtropes pages, I can resist clicking every single link. :P
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 11:21:28 am »

Make sure your status line is easily readable, that's something I did wrong in Netland (but it's not TOO big a deal).

Also, when the dice call for stuff blowing up, blow stuff up. RTD works best when it's chaotic and mildly nonsensical.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 12:19:56 pm »

Try to keep your systems simple, or be very clear about them. Also, I'll suggest keeping updates short -- at least at first. Lest you'll go the way of my two failed RTDs; read on, and despair! The former actually held a fair amount of potential, but it was marred by my almost criminal habits of procrastination and, well, school. I feel kinda bad just leaving it hanging. The writing is also all sorts of terrible but that's a lesser matter.

Anyway. Don't make things so ridiculously over-the-top you feel the need to continuously one-up yourself. This is pretty much essential!

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 01:27:12 pm »

I know this is probably irrelevant, but this is one of the major rule I once violated, and my RTD collapsed under its own sheer weight as a result...In short: Do not put too much irrelevant details into the game.

And if you're going to include a plot, do not do too much railroading. And depending on the seriousness of the game, the importance of actually staying on plot may vary.

Finally...Hosting a roleplaying game of any sort can be cumbersome sometimes. Try to keep it going as long as you can comfortably.
Good luck!
Oh God... I just lost... I'm not sure how long!
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 01:39:20 pm »

I managed to evade getting lost in those links but saw a link to the DF page in someones sig and I think I've lost over a hour so far.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 01:57:27 pm »

Good luck!

I agree, that one had and still has massive potential (despite the information overload), it just got bogged down by its complexity which would be comparable to a DnD game and the fact that there are so many things to do for every turn.

As I said before, sometimes complexity can help with the experience (especially combat wise), but more often than not, simpler is better.

Also, what do you mean use cinnamon rolls?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 01:59:05 pm by smjjames »

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 01:59:40 pm »

Well, my experience is:

1. The less you bother with statuses and that stuff, the more you will manage to put out, typically. Skills and magical items are a pain in the ass for me.
2. Make a roadmap. And prepare for people going off the rails.
3. If something happens that you didn't accomodate for, invent ridiculous shit.
4. Have an interesting idea. Although you will always find people that sign up, you better make up something interesting, and STICK TO IT.
5. Don't be a lazy sucker like me. Stay on it. Although typically RtD's end up being abandoned, you should get to at least turn 20. Also, regular updates are very, very nice.
6. Just do it, ffs!

(I totally should necro my most recent attempt.)
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 02:01:22 pm »

Having a good imagination will certainly help, and role playing experience works well too.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 02:03:05 pm »

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 02:05:27 pm »

WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 02:36:51 pm »

It's not that complex, really. Just come up with an idea, roll with it

many lulz were had.
Pages: [1] 2