Poll

Ignore this poll.

No
- 73 (58.9%)
Sure
- 51 (41.1%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Murdercloisters: Where A Year May Well Be A Lifetime (Succession)  (Read 23836 times)

Efithor

• Bay Watcher
  • The Doodle Dictator!
    • View Profile
Re: Murdercloisters the Haunted Mirkwood Fortress (Succession)
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 06:10:52 pm »

I just realized that the medical dwarf I chose has the same name as the infamous doctor of Battlefailed. Interesting.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 08:37:33 pm »

Granite 865

We've pulled the wagon as far as she'll go.  The wheels got stuck in the mud quite a distance from our intended site, so this spot will have to suffice.

I hate it here.  I don't know what kind of elfherb that Ranger was smoking, but I wish I had brought some of it.  The muck on the ground must be four inches thick, it's freezing for this time of year, and half the trees are rotten or rotting.  Coniferous woods smell the greatest, he said.  Lies.  You've heard of pine needles?  Imagine actual needles sticking out of the pine, sharper than glass and twice as hard.  We don't have to imagine.

My six companions believe there are caverns of marble and gold underneath.  I sure hope there are.  The forest isn't the lush earthen paradise I had sold on them.  If they start to suspect I've been mining by the seat of my pants I won't be the expedition's leader much longer.

They all think I'm an expert woodcutter with years of wilderness experience.  Apparently people like that are trusted to know what they're doing.  In truth, I've never taken an axe to a single tree and I certainly haven't tamed the wild boar of Ugluk Ngozu.  I don't expect it will matter in the long run.  How hard can it be to chop down a tree?

Anyhow, it's getting dark and I should be getting to bed, yet for how dark it is, it's just too darn quiet.  It's spooky.

Not a baying wolf nor a chirping bird nor even a bloody cricket.  Spooky.

I took a walk around the campsite today to try and get to know the place we'll now be calling home.  In the light of the new day, it isn't so bad.  That is, it could be worse.  It's a very queer place indeed, uncanny, one could say.  The legends speak of such places, where the gods themselves did such battle long ago that the land and its creatures were forever scarred with aberrant powers.

As I considered whether we might have found such a place, I came across a colony of ants who had constructed a nest of pure ice, a feat I didn't know was possible.  Then I started thinking it was only

I have returned to the campsite with dignified soils in my trousers.  Hopefully the others don't notice.  I've decided not to mention what I saw, there's no reason to alarm anyone, after all, they're just a couple of sick porcupines.  That's all.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Slate

The miner confronted me when she discovered a monstrous spider in the undercavern.  Strangely, it didn't bother her in the slightest.  She just wanted to tell me, and thank me for all the gold.  I am dumbstruck.  At least no one else has discovered the skorcupines.  I don't expect the secret to remain secret much longer.

Well, the skat's out of the bag.  The swordsdwarf with us, Eclipsetail Agäs, sallied forth with the speed of an elk and smashed the creatures and my dwarven pride in two swings of his sword.  Everybody cheered, but before long, more woodland critters came out to play.

Eclipsetail ran out to defend us all.  Nobody assisted him.

Luckily, nobody needed to.  First the fox, then the skunk, and finally the terrible cougar, all fell before Eclipse and his mighty steel.  Bronze.  The sword is bronze.  It's been a long day and at the end of it, I hope this is the last sort of excitement we have for a while.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 09:04:09 pm »

^.^

I'm glad I picked what I did.

And wth.
Why did we go to the caverns?

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 09:05:36 pm »

Oh man, caverns already. I can already tell this will involve lots of Fun.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 10:14:11 pm »

Oh sweet Adil preserve us

When the skoose were spotted I told everyone to get inside, and naturally we all ran in the opposite direction.  After that happened we learned that the devilish moose run much faster than dwarves do.

As if planned in conspiracy by our subconscious minds, the three of us bolted away from each other at the very same moment.  The moose decided to overtake the slowest among us.

The dark creature stomped down on the Forgedwarf with undulating cries of bestial rage.  Pisano was a bloodied mess within seconds, but managed to get far enough away to stand up.  The beast was on him again with haste, tackling him to the ground once more and trampling him, indifferent to his screams.  The agonized sounds he made... I'll never forget them.  He was soon quieted by a particularly loud crunch to the chest that presumably crushed it.  Not satisfied with its victim merely suffocating, the beast finished off the forgedwarf with a savage kick to the face, caving his skull in like a mallet to an overripe ripe melon.

Then it reared it's bloodstained face in my direction, it's formless eyes fixated on me.

I ran.  Eclipsetail was finally there, too late for Pisano, but in time for me, I ventured to hope.

Ah, shit, I thought, when Eclipse tumbled into the water, his aerial path marked by a stream of ejected blood.  The unwholesome creature he was fighting dove right in after him.

I ran again, and spotted the Doctor's mangled body a few dozen yards from the fort.  I'll miss that old geezer.

I managed to escape, but to my dismay, the gate has been shut.  I don't think it's going to be opened.  My only hope is to build myself a small shelter until h

The rest (indeed, most) of the page is covered in old blood.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 10:19:14 pm »

omenknife was such a better name, i could work do so many puns with that.
EDIT: I just read the update.
YAY DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 10:22:09 pm by cappstv »
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 10:20:20 pm »

I went for the caverns because caverns are awesome.  They're completely sealed off for now, so no worries fron that just yet.

The dwarves elected Charred GP the new expedition leader.  The three survivors are miserable but safe.

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 10:57:00 pm »

Alright, but before I start (tomorrow, it's fairly late where I am), I have to ask two somewhat nooby questions.

Firstly, I use a graphics set (phoebus, if it matters) will that mess up future saves?

And secondly, how long should I play to, the end of the year or the season?

Efithor

• Bay Watcher
  • The Doodle Dictator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 11:14:45 pm »

Ah! What got me? Well, medical skill won't be needed for now. Murdercloisters: where there are no injured dwarves, only the dead and the perfectly healthy.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 11:37:37 pm »

Alright, but before I start (tomorrow, it's fairly late where I am), I have to ask two somewhat nooby questions.

Firstly, I use a graphics set (phoebus, if it matters) will that mess up future saves?

And secondly, how long should I play to, the end of the year or the season?

What I meant was literally, the dwarves elected the dwarf Charred GP as their new expedition leader.  Turns should go to the end of the season year, or as long as you can manage.

Does phoebus change the base raws like Ironhand's does?  If so, the raws can just be recopied into the save after your turn is done.

Efithor was murdered by the skeletal moose.

edit:  year, not season.  -_-
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 12:57:30 am by SethCreiyd »

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 11:45:15 pm »

Ah, my mistake. For some reason I thought you meant I would be going next.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2010, 01:00:30 am »

Pretty sure phoebus doesnt change the raws
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2010, 01:57:57 am »

Fantastic work on managing to scribble in your notebook while being chased by an anorexic ladymoose.  May your journey to the Castle of Arrrggh be swift and without infernal torture.

Whereas I, for some reason, will continue to survive and become one of those tough, grimy old dwarves that could pop a crundle just by winking at it.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2010, 09:26:29 am »

Journal of Creiydil Cloisterjoined, Excerpts

We've made it to the Forests of Leaking, and I would have trouble believing someone capable of seeing a place to live here, if I hadn't seen those of some dwarves far more adventurous than I.

This place runs thick with magic.  I can't exactly define what that means, but I've always had a nose for it.  When we passed through the grassy plain near to the northeast I felt it there, too.  There's a definite quality to a place that decides what is sensible just isn't extraordinary enough.

I tried to explain this privately to Uvash one late evening, but she only laughed until the sound caught dead in her throat.

The lass lept up with uncharacteristic speed and tried to position herself behind me, but I was already backing away with my axe out.  At the head of its group, the bone rooster stared an eyeless, damning gaze, but none of the chickens pursued as we vanished into the shadows back toward our camp.

14th Felsite

Uvash was attacked by a foul creature that dropped from a overlain tree, shrieking as it fell on her.

I ran forward, but she deftly grabbed the rabbit, pulled it off her head, and punched it squarely in the body.  It shattered, stopped moving.  Other than a bad cut on her forehead, she's fine, and we made it to the outpost without further delay.

Instead of being greeted by seven dwarves who were happy for company, we were seized upon by three dwarves who had buried four of their own and were desperate for assistance.  I can tell we're all going to love it here.

Felsite 28

Poor, poor Uvash.  A prodigious skeletal bird manifested itself and dive-bombed her in the middle of the entrance hall.

It clamped down on her hand and pulled at it, slapping her with its featherless wings.  It's her first trip out of the Mountainhome and every wretched beast we've seen has thrown itself directly at her.  One wonders if her blood smells sweeter or something.

She managed to extract her mangled hand from the monstrous beak but the creature pursued her across the hall, ignoring the rest of us until someone managed to break its hollow spine.

We have some extra beds so I had some of the layabouts nearby prepare a makeshift hospital room.  I later discovered Uvash dumped unceremoniously in a corner, where she lay passed out on the floor from blood loss.  An unused bed stood inches from her.

I want to go home.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2010, 11:06:10 am »

I will take a turn, if I can.  Dwarf me as a migrant please, mechanic if possible.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16