Early - Meh.
- 3 (18.8%)
Middle - Yes!
- 8 (50%)
Late - No!
- 5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Dominions 3 PBEM - Round Four = finished.  (Read 22658 times)

AlfFan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 3 PBEM - Round Four.
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2010, 05:50:03 pm »

"These days," since I couldn't play my turn last night? I had to reformat last night and I won't be able to reinstall dominions till I get my disc from Vegas so is there a way you can set me to computer, or does someone want to take it?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 20, 2010, 06:29:02 pm »

I was just looking for an excuse to boast my military successes.

How long is this gonna take?
If just a few days, then it'd probably be a better idea to wait.
If you reckon it's a long term problem, then I suppose I could set you to AI.

Lorak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2010, 08:01:28 pm »

Download the game from your pirate location of choice, then use your legit cd-key on it when you install.

Done.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2010, 05:13:55 am »

Will be setting Shinuyama on AI before the next turn gets resolved(friday 3AM, GMT), unless AlfFan pops in and stops me.

AlfFan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2010, 03:10:16 pm »

I don't want to hold the game up any, you better just go ahead and put me AI . Sorry!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2010, 07:04:47 pm »

O.K.
See you some other time.

ed: I need you password, AlfFan.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 08:47:51 pm by Il Palazzo »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 23, 2010, 12:37:05 pm »

Update:
Shinuyama became computer controlled(turn 23). The game informed me, that the AI assigned was of NORMAL difficulty level. I did not find any way to make it harder.

As for the future, should any one desire to quit the game, do remember to set your nation to AI yourselves, otherwise it's a lot of hassle.

Disclaimer: no information regarding Shinuyama, with whom I'm at war, has reached my eyes during the process of transferring the control to AI.
Theri possible dissapearance from the map in the nearest future should be attributed solely to my asskicking skills, which I've been recently exercising on our late friend AlfFan.

Lorak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2010, 12:33:07 pm »

I've got my turn done, but I'm having issues with Gmail, and can't get files to attach.

Il Palazzo if you read this and I still haven't sent my turn in, can you please add a day to the time for this turn?

I'll keep trying to get it to work every few minutes in the meantime.

Lorak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2010, 12:56:23 pm »

OK turn finally sent.  False alarm!

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2010, 09:43:43 pm »

I'm loving the conversations this is generating, but as a non-player I would appreciate it if there was more information about the game in progress for me to follow than just guessing at events from oblique references. I'm still on the fence about the game and being able to see it in action would be nice, even if the material has to be posted on a time delay to maintain fairness.
... and then it explodes!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2010, 11:32:24 pm »

Abysia bum rushed me a few turns before I could start the acid storm machine up with blessed up lava warriors. I now only have my capital, and am boredly waiting for him to break in.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2010, 01:59:16 pm »

My laptop is barely strong enough to run the game alone, so I can't get you any videos. I might post a screenshot or two from time to time. No promises though.

As for my current situation - My nation of lizards(C'tis) spawned on a small pennisula, and I've quickly found myself surrounded by other players. For the lack of room to expand, I've hired some fish-men mercenaries, and been conquering the surrounding sea provinces.
At some point, Shinuyama deemed it necessary to declare war on me, which coincidentally was about the time my pretender god awakened from slumber(I love this word). I've sent a few assassins to kill his mages, and found out that they're failed rather miserably. Our armies clashed a couple of times. Since the major battles happened near my capital, I was able to get all my research staff to the battlefield, where they managed to swarm the enemy with hordes of skeletons. As a result, Shinuyama's pretender got killed, mostly due to him falling unconscious from casting spells in heavy armour, and then being crippled on a lucky hit - he did not manage to flee the battlefield, even though he almost made it.

In more global terms, Ermor is leading, having in possesion about twice as many provinces as the second best contender. Abysia most likely prepares to finish off T'ien Ch'i, whose last stronghold is currently under siege. Pythium and Marignon are biding their time and plotting some evil schemes, most likely.
That's all I know.

I'm not sure if I should mention this, but the truth is, I've just had my ass handed to me by the AI controlled Shinuyama. Duh.

ed: self inflicted grammar nazi hit
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 05:05:58 pm by Il Palazzo »

Lorak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 26, 2010, 04:29:41 pm »

I'm working on a write up full of screenshots of what I've done so far for HLBeta and people like him who may be watching this thread for some reason.  ;-)

Will probably end it after the first year and do another one  for year two soonish. 

Lorak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 26, 2010, 06:21:58 pm »

A Brief History of Ermor, The Broken Empire, Through The Eyes of a Centurion.

By: Varrath

Year 1 of the Ascension Wars - Spring
As a Centurion in Ermor, it has always been hard for me to accept what our great nation has become.  At one point we ruled most of the known world but now... now we barely keep a single province under control.  Little did we know that our priests were secretly practicing dark magic, and a terrible event unleashed death upon our lands.  We were eventually able to learn how to tame the undead and keep them under our control, but massive damage had already been done and the long period of anarchy cost us nearly all of our land.  We rely greatly on our thaumaturgs in the Death Cult to keep the dead at bay, and they do a good job.  Still, things could be much better.

This is the world as we know it:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(Since we are playing with a wraparound map, I tried my best to draw a red rectangle around the actual map area.)

Just as I was thinking about how bad things were, something strange happened.  A travelling musician by the name of Justin Bieber appeared in the city and stirred up a religious fervor not seen in Ermor since before the downfall of the Ermorian faith and the creation of the Death Cult.

The people hailed him as a God, and indeed he demonstrated powers beyond our wildest dreams.  His mere presence was enough to make most people flee, and mortal men seemed unable to strike him.  For some reason he saw something in me... and chose me as his prophet, and lead commander.  We were to start by taking back the lands that rightfully belonged to our people. 

Lord Justin Bieber seemed eager to gain control of 5 specific provinces he claims are holy lands, and one was nearby to the east.  He told me he would head eastward alone, confident in his abilities to conquer provinces singlehandedly and with minimal bloodshed.  I was to head north while we sent a scout to the south.

Lord Justin began recruiting the Death Cult Grand Thaumaturgs to his cause.  The Grand Thaumaturgs are very knowledgable and powerful, however they are also very old.  It has always been a goal of the Death Cult (And the old Ermorian mages of the past) to find a way to cheat death, and with Lord Justin's guidance, I believe that may very well be possible.

I may not be comfortable with the methods, and in fact I'm not even completely convinced that this ritual will work, or even if it does work, that the resulting "mage" will have any part of the Thaumaturg's soul or mind within it.  I fear this may be the beginning of a return to Death and destruction overrunning our land, but it's best to keep that to myself for the time being.

Three months have passed since last I wrote, since I have been too busy fighting to do much of anything else.  In three months my army has managed to capture three provinces, including one of the holy sites, but we are down to only 12 men and I must return to the city for more troops.  My scouts inform me that Lord Justin Bieber has captured just as many provinces, and does not show signs of needing a break anytime soon.  I am certainly impressed with his ability to convert the local provinces to join us, by himself.

When I returned to the castle I was shocked to find I was easily able to recruit nearly 50 more soldiers to add to my force.  I was even more shocked to hear that Lord Justin Bieber has conquered 6 provinces in as many months.  Maybe he truely is as powerful as he appears to be.  I will be fighting alongside him for the first time soon, as our next target is a well defended province, and it would be safer for us to attack together.  Oh yeah, did I mention Lord Justin Bieber can fly?

We managed to hire a group of 50 mercenaries to take care of our northern expansion.  They were cheap, and look kinda small and weak, so I'm not sure about them, but of course there is always strength in numbers!  Lord Justin decided we should work together for another month to take the next province, since heavy cavalry is never fun to go up against.  In non-expansion related news, our scout to the south has made first contact with another major power, Abyssia.  They are still quite far away, so we decide not to contact them just yet.  Our Thamaturgs are making excellent progress in their magic research.  I hear they can raise some skeletons and stuff, now, and I'm still not sure I like the direction they are heading.

The mercenaries failed miserably.  They didn't even capture one weakly defended province.  Totally useless.  Winter is almost over and I have been fighting for a year straight with only a small break to recruit reinforcements.  I'm really starting to feel the strain, but I know things will only be getting tougher later.  Our southern scout found another kingdom, Tien Chi, who are adjacent to Abyssia.  Hopefully they will fall into conflict with each other and leave us alone.  Lord Justin and I have split up again and will continue to try to capture one province per month each, for the forseeable future.

And now the graphs after year 1:

And here is what I believe the political map to have looked like after year one.  Note this is not completely accurate, it's just my predictions based on the information I have now.  Black X's are locations I believe to have been in conflict at the time.

I would also like to take this opportunity to point out that having a great starting position with no other players within 6-8 provinces of me had absolutely nothing to do with me being in the lead.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 27, 2010, 10:30:03 am »

Nice.
I'm sure HLBeta would be most grateful to you, if you only could be bothered to include more recent troop movements and strategic plans.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15