Early - Meh.
- 3 (18.8%)
Middle - Yes!
- 8 (50%)
Late - No!
- 5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Dominions 3 PBEM - Round Four = finished.  (Read 22621 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 3 PBEM - Round Four.
« Reply #195 on: December 01, 2010, 03:19:12 pm »

I don't think Abysia can do much difference either way. Too bad Ravenlord left Pythium, as it would've been completely different with them on your side.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 01, 2010, 09:26:53 pm »

Oh, I forgot, or I didn't even realize Pythium was AI controlled.  I guess we're screwed.  Especially since I can't scratch your gargoyles.  But you will have to snuff me out!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 03, 2010, 07:39:32 am »

Why didn't you guys zerg rush Il Palazzo from turn one, like I wisely advised?

Oh, well, I can honestly say "I told you so".  That is something I guess.  :-\

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 03, 2010, 10:34:33 am »

Well, ganging up on someone early in the game like that specifically because of who they are would be pretty unfair and ruin the fun for them.  But I knew he was the greatest threat, my pretender's name is KillPalazzo.  I just saw Ermor as a larger threat at one point, and I didn't realize two different players had gone AI.

Lorak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 03, 2010, 05:11:00 pm »

I probably was a huge threat to the world at one point, however I was silly and let that point pass me by, because I didn't realize it.

I also didn't realize I could summon undead for free until pretty far into the game...

Bad timing also happened, as at the same time I was ready and mobilized to attack Shinuyama/C'Tis, my other neighbors decided it was a good time to attack me, so I had to call that off and switch to defense.

But that's cool, many lessons are learned with every game I play, and maybe eventually I'll be able to get a game where I don't make a bunch of mistakes and overlook key points of my nation.  XD

On a side note, in the other Dominions 3 game, Il Palazzo is being ganged up on by like three different nations... and seems to be winning, or at least holding his own very well, hehehe.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 03, 2010, 06:37:07 pm »

I think it's agreed upon that this game is won? We could continue if you think that you can still learn something, or want to see a few more large battles, Lorak, but Marignon is pretty much army-less at this point(And Abysia is hardly a threat either).

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 03, 2010, 06:59:26 pm »

I'm willing to call it if everyone else is.  I have some miniature army in the south, but obviously I can't even fight to a stalemate at this point.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 03, 2010, 07:28:51 pm »

I'm also open to discussing the mistakes I've seen you guys doing.

Lorak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 04, 2010, 02:31:53 am »

Although I don't mind conceding, I would kinda like to go at least a few more turns as there's a couple things I would like to try before I die.  XD

Also, yes!  Let's discuss mistakes.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 02:36:29 am by Lorak »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 04, 2010, 03:48:30 am »

Well, ganging up on someone early in the game like that specifically because of who they are would be pretty unfair and ruin the fun for them.  But I knew he was the greatest threat, my pretender's name is KillPalazzo.  I just saw Ermor as a larger threat at one point, and I didn't realize two different players had gone AI.

Not if that player specifically stated at the beginning a willingness to be zerged.  The term "zerg" was Il Palazzo's language, not mine.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 04, 2010, 08:04:53 am »

I'm o.k. with continuing, if you're up to it. Should any of you feel that they've got enough, feel free to set yourselves at AI at your leisure.
I'm also o.k. with talking about the game as we go.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 04, 2010, 12:41:33 pm »

I gave all my gems to Ermor and set myself to AI controlled.  I don't have enough units or income to come up with any armies that will help me learn anything, and since the game is decided, holding out for the sake of it doesn't seem as fun.  Count me in for any future games, though.  I love this game.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 04, 2010, 01:29:18 pm »

Thanks for playing Kebooo!

I could not understand why did you not make a better use of your mages? Summoning is nice and all, but having a combination of astral/fire mages lends itself nicely to casting some powerful battle spells. Just start a communion, and your already powerful mages get uber-fantastic. Then try casting some battlefield-wide spells like Heat from Hell(Ench6), Fire Storm(Evo7), Flaming Arrows(Ench4) - does wonders with hordes of cheap archers, like independent markatas/atavis or indie archers/longbowmen, they can really decimate the opponent.
Don't forget spamming fire resistance for your troops with Fire Fend, as needed.
Even without those, a bunch of communion-linked mages can spam Fireballs and Fire Clouds to decimate enemy ranks.
Also, Blindness does wonders for incapacitating super combatants, like my gargoyles. Add some fire resistance to negate the Fire Shield, and you're set.
Fires From Afar lets you remotely damage armies, with some luck, even killing commanders.
Your national Holy Pyre is a good anti-undead spell.

Then you've got your astral component, with spells like Battle Fortune(Alt6) & Doom(Alt7) easily accessible for your communions. The spell Opposition(Ench6) is much more efficient at killing off magic beings(gargoyles!) than e.g. Arcane Bolt.
Then you've got interesting spells like Solar Brilliance(Ench7), and Unraveling(Ench8), which can be cast kamikaze-style by a single, item-enchanced, teleporting mage, to incapacitate large armies.
And of course, once you're able to enchance your mages to Astral-4 power level, you could start casting Mind Hunt.

You'd need some construction research to get magic-enchancing items. Also, at Constr.6, you can cheaply forge Lightless Lanterns, which add +6 to research ability, letting you reach good spells in other schools so much easier.

All in all, I think you should pay more attention to scripting good spells for your mages. But then again, I've not seen your battles with Ermor, so I don't know how you fared there.

Oh, and I couldn't fathom why did you guys not pool your astral gems to cast Dispel and cause all my non-national troops and commanders(e.g.underwater ones) to die of sickness?
Sure, i can cast it again, but I've got only so much Nature gem income, and Astral ones are easy to get from alchemy.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 04, 2010, 04:05:51 pm »

Oh, and I couldn't fathom why did you guys not pool your astral gems to cast Dispel and cause all my non-national troops and commanders(e.g.underwater ones) to die of sickness?
Sure, i can cast it again, but I've got only so much Nature gem income, and Astral ones are easy to get from alchemy.

Maybe they don't trust each other?  :P

No, but seriously, that is a really good idea that I probably would not have thought of if I was playing.  One tends not to think collaboratively (although I was the guy that backstabbed everybody last game, so it might be a personal problem).

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 04, 2010, 04:21:47 pm »

There are two ways of doing it: Either the players pool astral gems for one of them to cast Dispel, risking that the power of the spell won't be sufficient, and requiring recast with more gems - obviously this is an easy way to abuse your neighbours trust, and might pose a problem when there isn't any to begin with.
The other way is to pool the gems to counter-cast the same spell. The pros are: whomever casts it, will most likely want to have the casting to succeed, and sacrifice as many gems as he can(through alchemy, for example), as it'll help him directly, and possibly, will be very difficult to dispel, due to number of gems involved. Cons: your current ally WILL inevitably turn into your enemy at some point in the future, so you have to consider if presenting him with such a hard-to-dispel global is worth the edge that your armies will gain over your current foe.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15