Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 504

Author Topic: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves  (Read 1492683 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves
« Reply #5670 on: March 19, 2014, 06:14:01 pm »

To be fair, Belkar only jumped to avoid the Mark of Justice acting up on him while inside Azure City (because if he killed anyone inside the city limits, he would most likely die from the curse).

I wonder... if a bolt fired inside a city killed a goblin outside it, would it still count as an in-city kill?
I seem to remember Shojo said that the mark would activate if he killed "Anyone inside a town", so probably not. I couldn't find the comic where Shojo casts the spell, though, so I'm not sure. Then again, he was Chaotic Neutral, not Lawful Good, but then again again he was trying to impersonate a paladin.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5671 on: March 20, 2014, 11:10:06 am »

To be fair, Belkar only jumped to avoid the Mark of Justice acting up on him while inside Azure City (because if he killed anyone inside the city limits, he would most likely die from the curse).

I wonder... if a bolt fired inside a city killed a goblin outside it, would it still count as an in-city kill?
I seem to remember Shojo said that the mark would activate if he killed "Anyone inside a town", so probably not. I couldn't find the comic where Shojo casts the spell, though, so I'm not sure. Then again, he was Chaotic Neutral, not Lawful Good, but then again again he was trying to impersonate a paladin.
CG, and not trying to impersonate a paladin. His paladins were sworn to serve him, and most of them probably only assumed he was bound by the paladins' code.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5672 on: March 20, 2014, 06:22:39 pm »

To hunters.

While you are doing an admirable job of killing the wildlife I propose a change to your methods.

See, while you are supposed to kill various critters you are also supposed to be bringing them back in a butcher-able state.  I just found the remains of two eagles in the river feeding the already bloodthirsty hippos.

Now I'll admit that disabling their flight ability while over a 20 some z level deep sheer river canyon is an extremely effective termination method, we kinda can't retrieve the bodies down there.  Even if the water wasn't an issue there's the murderous hippos, and even if they were somehow no longer an issue it's easier to clean up a dead bird with a bolt through it's head than the scattered carnage from a terminal velocity impact.

The Administration
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5673 on: March 21, 2014, 10:13:38 am »

To, the bucket brigade.
Re: buckets of water.

I recently noticed a bucket in a corridor, marked it for emptying, and moved on.
Then later, I found two more buckets, and decided to search carefully for buckets over the fortress.
No less then 16 buckets of water were found, all littered around various corridors, and several being stored in the food stockpile.
FOOD STOCKPILE?
WATER?
ARE YOU ELVES?

To, Urist McToughGuy
Re: broken foot
In a recent fight with a goblin, your foot was broken, along with a couple of other injuries.
You walked into the hospital, took a crutch,
and went straight back to combat training.
While I admire your dedication, I would prefer if you allowed the doctors to take a look at you.
clean those wounds? maybe put a cast on that leg?
Also I cant help but suspect some of those corridor buckets were from someone trying to bring water to the dwarf with the broken leg..

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5674 on: March 21, 2014, 11:05:33 am »

Sounds like you need the drybuckets DFhack command. Dwarves with healthcare enabled get a bit over eager with the giving water and will give to dwarves who are sleeping and even at the booze pile.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5675 on: March 21, 2014, 11:29:21 am »

Yeah, DFhack is very useful with tools for things like "empty all the random buckets of water"
I dont think it's going to stop them appearing however

I could try to re-injure him to make him get help, but I kind of don't want one of my best soldiers off duty.

In other news, as a result of him training with the broken foot, he got attached to the crutch.. I assume that means he will keep it even after his foot heals?
Is that good?
Do I actually want him carrying a crutch around after he doesn't need it anymore?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5676 on: March 24, 2014, 04:12:41 am »

Dammit Urist (et al)...

Seriously.  I put the buckets RIGHT NEXT to the water source.  No, really, it's like 12 steps over.  It's in the burrow.  There is no excuse to trapse your butt 10 levels down into the fortress and over to the hospital well to fill the bucket.  No, really.  The watersource is even on the way to where you're going to pond it!

This is going to take forever...  You bearded drunken morons.

No, STOP!  It's right over... oh, nevermind...

-- The Overfiend, off to get his OWN drink on...

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #5677 on: March 24, 2014, 07:58:44 am »

In other news, as a result of him training with the broken foot, he got attached to the crutch.. I assume that means he will keep it even after his foot heals?
Is that good?
Do I actually want him carrying a crutch around after he doesn't need it anymore?
If he does keep using the crutch when he doesn't need it, he'll still train crutch-walking.

If I recall correctly, all the training with crutch walking will buff his speed past what it was before he started crutch-walking. I doubt the crutch will get in the way during combat, since one handed dwarves can still wield a weapon and shield in one hand. A dwarf could probably wield a weapon, shield, and crutch no problem with two hands, probably one hand too.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: March 28, 2014, 08:35:03 am »

They probably come from one or more floors up and the booze stockpiles in the prisons might be closer, if you just ignore those pesky floors.

Hmm, maybe you are right, but then that IS the single biggest bug in DF right now. And I know a lot of them...

In this particular case: the prison is 30-40 tiles away from the stairs, restricted movement, and there is NOTHING below it for 10-12 levels. Not even corridors, just undug stone. So: 10-12 levels below that prison I do have the main living area/panic room: 5z deep block with food stockpile at the bottom level so it can be sealed from the rest of the fort in case of emergency.
Next to the prison I have the barracks, and above it the pits, so traffic is pretty scarce there. Down 1 level and 20 tiles to the west is the entrance, and below that the food preparation area and the main food stockpiles. My military won't go tot the prison, but I always get 6-8 dwarfs drinking there, and only 1-2 in the main booze stockpile of this level - right next to the stairs...

So yeah, it's frustrating.
Frustrating, but kind of needed. Otherwise, the game would be painfully slow from all the pathing (already one of the game's biggest CPU drains).
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5679 on: March 31, 2014, 02:09:36 pm »

Dear dwarves:
There are seven of you. FOUR of you are on break, one is sleeping, and one is justifiably doing nothing because I haven't actually given them something to do.

Rectify this.

Sincerely,
Overseer.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5680 on: April 06, 2014, 06:23:55 pm »

Dear Urist (DOCTOR);

I wish to write to congratulate you on the fine work you have done for this colony thus far. 

I fondly recall the day you arrived as an immigrant.  For the first day, we had misunderstood the value you brought to our home, and had you labor away as a common hauler.  You did not complain.  You even shuffled along those barrels of scorpion vomit with a cheerful and carefree attitude.  I wish with every fiber of my being that your mood would rub off on the rest of us.  Especially the Mason.

You first came to our attention when you displayed impressive levels of initiative.  Faced with that mount of rotting corpses outside, you took it upon yourself to construct your very own slaughterhouse, and for a couple of years, kept our kitchens well stocked with delightful meat of questionable provenance.  The quality of life for all increased measurably within days.

You again came to our attention when you took the lessons you learned in flaying creatures alive and applied that to the medicinal arts.  When our first dragoon squad got lost and mistakenly laid siege to us, you were there before the rest of us, fishing children out of those bladed traps and pulling them off spikes.  I note that already several diplomats from the home territories have sent their own medics to learn from you.  I understand that to this day nobody else can graft the skin from a marmot onto a living dwarf and have it take.  We are proud of you!

But I do admit that I have one small, niggling concern.  While you ability to graft animal parts onto dwarves is nothing short of legendary, we would kindly ask you to limit or abandon your research.  I note that we've already had one military dwarf sever his own arm.  It is our understanding that you had promised to graft him a dragon's leg for a new arm.  I wish to point out that we currently have no dragon, much less one willing to part with a limb.  While we have no doubt that, could this be done successfully, that it SHOULD be done, but we ask you kindly that we wait until we have both a willing limb-culling dragon and an armless dwarf already present and available.  The militia rosters are thin enough as it is without a surfeit of self amputations.

Your cooperation anticipated,
Labor Manager
Please share the mod used to make this.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5681 on: April 09, 2014, 07:42:31 pm »

!!THE AMAZING SCHEDULE OF MY BROKER!!
DRINK
TAKE BREAK
DRINK
TAKE BREAK
DRINK
EAT
TAKE BREAK
The merchants from Kubuk Umril have embarked on their journey.
GO TO DEPOT--
Oh they're gone.
UPDATE STOCKPILE RECORDS
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Jack Smythe

• Bay Watcher
  • What would Urist do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5682 on: April 10, 2014, 12:02:06 pm »

Dear Urist McWoodworker,
It is wonderful to have you in our tundric fort, surrounded by vast plains of no trees. While I still wonder why you choose to venture out here, perhaps a deep hatred of your own craft, nonetheless, more dwarves are always welcome. There is only one, slight issue. While I understand I didn't order you to build beds first thing, mostly because we had other, more pressing needs, that did not mean we had no need for beds. In fact, we have a rather urgent need for beds. So, if you would be so kind, would you tell me WHY IN ARMOK'S NAME YOU USED OUR LAST THREE LOGS TO BUILD A CUP! A CUP! sheer waste involved, using three entire trees to make a single cup, not even a well made or nice looking artifact at that, boggles the mind. I don't even know how you managed to avoid having enough waste wood to build fifty more cups. Or at least another bed. If you had, I might forgive you. But since you have denied us the wood we need to make beds, unless a damned good reason is produced, you are now promoted to militia captain. There's a pack of wolves outside. We have no armor or weapons to give you. Please leave your axe behind.
Signed,
Your Overseer
Jack Smythe
Many say that humanity is a naturally good and benevolent race. Obviously, they have yet to meet us.

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: April 10, 2014, 02:07:40 pm »

Dear Urist McWoodworker,
It is wonderful to have you in our tundric fort, surrounded by vast plains of no trees. While I still wonder why you choose to venture out here, perhaps a deep hatred of your own craft, nonetheless, more dwarves are always welcome. There is only one, slight issue. While I understand I didn't order you to build beds first thing, mostly because we had other, more pressing needs, that did not mean we had no need for beds. In fact, we have a rather urgent need for beds. So, if you would be so kind, would you tell me WHY IN ARMOK'S NAME YOU USED OUR LAST THREE LOGS TO BUILD A CUP! A CUP! sheer waste involved, using three entire trees to make a single cup, not even a well made or nice looking artifact at that, boggles the mind. I don't even know how you managed to avoid having enough waste wood to build fifty more cups. Or at least another bed. If you had, I might forgive you. But since you have denied us the wood we need to make beds, unless a damned good reason is produced, you are now promoted to militia captain. There's a pack of wolves outside. We have no armor or weapons to give you. Please leave your axe behind.
Signed,
Your Overseer
Jack Smythe

Maybe he was prepping up for this Simpsons joke:

Urist McDwarfette: Look, I want a cup
Urist McWoodworker: Cup, could you spell that?
Urist McDwarfette: Cee Yuu Pee i wanna Cee Yu...oh my god! 
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

Jack Smythe

• Bay Watcher
  • What would Urist do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5684 on: April 10, 2014, 05:08:21 pm »

Dear Urist McWoodworker,
Signed,
Your Overseer
Jack Smythe

Maybe he was prepping up for this Simpsons joke:

Urist McDwarfette: Look, I want a cup
Urist McWoodworker: Cup, could you spell that?
Urist McDwarfette: Cee Yuu Pee i wanna Cee Yu...oh my god!

What's sad is the one female dwarf we had went loony from not having a bed, among other things [such as the lack of drink off and on, her friend getting mauled by a pack of wolves, the coffin and burial services not working without booze, etc], went berserk and killed the wood worker. So he did probably tried to pull that on her.
Many say that humanity is a naturally good and benevolent race. Obviously, they have yet to meet us.
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 504