Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 504

Author Topic: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves  (Read 1490654 times)

Wedolko

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Military Tactician
    • View Profile
Re: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves
« Reply #6675 on: May 26, 2016, 02:01:05 am »

Dear Sweet Little dwarven children,

I'm sorry I put you all out front of the fortress when the goblins came. And drowned you in lava. And fed you to titans. But please grow up, your father came in with like 20 of you.
-In a time before time DF spammed me with 50 pages of useless text

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6676 on: May 26, 2016, 03:39:00 pm »

Dear Mountainhome,

Stop sending stupidly skilled migrants to me, it makes me wonder why I even train the starting seven when incoming migrants have better skills anyway.
I do love to get more basic people like you used to send, like novice miners, growers or even peasants. I had no problem assigning them to other jobs without feeling wasteful.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 01:35:48 am by Volfgarix »

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #6677 on: May 26, 2016, 04:46:27 pm »

Dear Urist, Urist, Urist, Urist, and Urist,

I don't know why you all thought that climbing trees was a useful response to the giant kea raid.  Birds can fly faster than you can climb, and are not limited to one tree.  It is not an effective way to attack them, and it is not an effective way to escape them.  But I'm sure that you had your reasons, and won't argue the point.  All I ask is that, after the crisis is over, you climb back down.  If getting a better look at the pretty birds is reason enough to climb up a tree, then avoiding a slow and horrible death by dehydration should be reason enough to climb down it.  Several of you are only one level above the ground, and could simply jump out of the tree with no risk of injury at all.  I'm getting tired of building staircases all over the orchard, and if I don't find you in time, you will die. And whenever we bother to pull your corpse out of the tree, it will go in a wooden casket in a hole in the mud with no honor at all, because you brought this death upon yourself.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

LtGeneralQuick

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6678 on: May 28, 2016, 02:52:40 pm »

Dear fisherdwarves,

While I understand that you all love fishing, would you PLEASE build the fishery. Everyone else has barely been able to survive off of plump helmets while you have let countless fish rot away on the side of the river. If this continues any longer, I will make you fish near the carp and hippos.

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6679 on: May 28, 2016, 11:51:17 pm »

Dear Oddom Kubukiseth, dwarvern child

Yes, murdering birds with your bare fists when you're so high in the trees you'd die if you fell down with friends is fun. At least bring so way of getting down or at least go with you friend so one one of you dies of thirst the other one can report it so i can save the other. Your the second kid to go missing in the past week so. But even when you turn into a ghost your not able to path down to murder the last surviving kid or something.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #6680 on: May 29, 2016, 11:16:09 pm »

Dear fisherdwarves,

While I understand that you all love fishing, would you PLEASE build the fishery. Everyone else has barely been able to survive off of plump helmets while you have let countless fish rot away on the side of the river. If this continues any longer, I will make you fish near the carp and hippos.

Dear LtGeneralQuick,

There's a fairly easy way to fix that problem, actually
v, g (I think), l, + and - to select the proper skill, enter to enter a certain category, and then select and disable the fishing labor for at least one dwarf. They should then finally build the fishery.

Now would you PLEASE move along so legitimate complaints can be filed?

From,
AzyWng

((No worries, mate. I make rookie mistakes like this from time to time myself.))

Now for a legitimate complaint to actual dwarves.

Dear deceased fisherdwarves,

Protip: Ice melts.

If you're going to go ice fishing or whatever, at least learn to take a plunge without dying horribly. I've designated the brook as a fishing zone to prevent further deaths by drowning.

Whatever, bye.

From,
AzyWng, Dwarven Overseer

Smak64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: June 01, 2016, 07:09:08 pm »

Dear Urist. All of you.

The common bedrooms have been covered in badger blood for the past four years. I have assigned a few of you to work solely as janitors. Yet, for some reason, the walls remain covered in badger blood.

Are you seeing the problem here yet? Because as of today, it seems as though you still don't. Allow me to clarify.

FIVE OF YOU STUPID BUGGERS HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN CLEAN THE PLACE! YOU IDIOTS MISSED A SPOT THAT HAS BEEN SITTING THERE FOR FOUR YEARS, THAT YOU WALK PAST ON A DAILY BASIS! WHY HAVEN'T YOU CLEANED IT UP!?

Sincerely,
A dwarf with sense and reason who has been surrounded by morons who stink of badger blood for the past four years.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: June 01, 2016, 09:25:58 pm »

Dear Urist McHauler,
Of all the thousand logs on the surface, why do you choose to gather the ones in the southwest corner near the rapidly-expanding, titan-induced firestorm? It's amusing to watch you lazily push your wheelbarrow along the growing incendiary border, but I thought maybe you'd catch wise after the second wheelbarrow burst into flames (after you ditched it due to "dangerous terrain".) Is this a drunken dare?
-Bemused Overseer of Strangelove
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:29:24 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6683 on: June 03, 2016, 07:39:36 pm »

Dear Urist McHauler,
Of all the thousand logs on the surface, why do you choose to gather the ones in the southwest corner near the rapidly-expanding, titan-induced firestorm? It's amusing to watch you lazily push your wheelbarrow along the growing incendiary border, but I thought maybe you'd catch wise after the second wheelbarrow burst into flames (after you ditched it due to "dangerous terrain".) Is this a drunken dare?
-Bemused Overseer of Strangelove
Dear Bumber McOverseer,

Worse. It was a SOBER dare.

Sincerely, Urist McHauler

phoenixuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: June 06, 2016, 06:42:23 am »

Dear Military,

There has been an unconscious ogre at the foot of your defensive tower for a week now, being beaten in the head by about 15 civilians. I know I took some of you off active duty to recover from the goblin siege, but could one of you go over and put the thing out of it's jelly brained misery before the entire civilian population become epic boxers from punching it in the head for so long...

Regards,

Baffled McPatrolroutesetter

quintilius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6685 on: June 08, 2016, 12:55:45 am »

Dear Urist McAnnoyingNoble

If you DIDNT want me to reclaim the capital you lost FIGHTING ELVES (i mean seriously...) then tell me before i collect 6 of my buddies and pile in the hopefully unexploding wagon. I mean - I show up - and you're all inside - 'ambushing' me (but doing nothing). What is this - some sort of dwarven variant of the Test of Courage?  Around every corner - some new annoying 'Hostile' noble. I mean sure - you're nobles - and you tend to meet with unfortunate drawbridge accidents - but this is taking it a bit far.

I'm just going to ignore you. You dont seem to be eating nor starving to death - so i'm beginning to get a little worried...

Suspicious McAxedwarvesinbound

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: June 08, 2016, 09:25:34 am »

If you DIDNT want me to reclaim the capital you lost FIGHTING ELVES (i mean seriously...) then tell me before i collect 6 of my buddies and pile in the hopefully unexploding wagon. I mean - I show up - and you're all inside - 'ambushing' me (but doing nothing). What is this - some sort of dwarven variant of the Test of Courage?  Around every corner - some new annoying 'Hostile' noble. I mean sure - you're nobles - and you tend to meet with unfortunate drawbridge accidents - but this is taking it a bit far.

I'm just going to ignore you. You dont seem to be eating nor starving to death - so i'm beginning to get a little worried...

Dear other orcs,
It seems that the dwarves don't realize we are orcs, not dwarves. good, they will find out after we slit their throats! we shall lull them into a false sense of security. no attacking the dwarves yet, that means you Dragonpants! And continue not eating, you are orcs after all you don't need to eat,  it will confuse them! oh, and great jobs on pretending to be nobles, they probably think we're vampires!

Supreme Orc, Lorgon Fancypants
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6687 on: June 08, 2016, 09:26:41 am »

Dear other orcs,
It seems that the dwarves don't realize we are orcs, not dwarves. good, they will find out after we slit their throats! we shall lull them into a false sense of security. no attacking the dwarves yet, that means you Dragonpants! And continue not eating, you are orcs after all you don't need to eat,  it will confuse them! oh, and great jobs on pretending to be nobles, they probably think we're vampires!

Supreme Orc, Lorgon Fancypants
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

rachiebird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6688 on: June 10, 2016, 02:57:28 pm »

This thread has been a great motivation for me in terms of playing Dwarf Fortress. I totally ended up reading the entire thing over the past month or so. Anyways, I've been writing these letters as I progress through my game, and now that I've caught up on the thread, I'm ready to post them.

From my first fort:

Dear Various McLivestock,
I regret to inform you that there have been some deaths lately. Both of the sheep and one of the horses have passed away.

As you are well aware, in this fortress, we encourage all residents, including our precious animals, to basically do whatever they want. Any hobbies they decide to take up in their free time are fine.

However, while I was nothing but impressed by their clear talents and determination in reaching their goals, it is possible that grazing animals were simply not meant to climb trees. After leaving the ground, the three of them found themselves irreparably stuck, and eventually starved to death.

Hopefully, this tragedy will inspire a sense of caution in all of you, and none of you will feel the need to follow in their footsteps. However, as an extra measure, starting today, you have all been assigned to a new pasture, which, coincidentally has no trees anywhere near it.

Sincerely, Overseer McFeelsBadWhenTheAnimalsDie

P.S. Okay, fine. Poultry don't need to eat. If it really makes him happy, the duck can stay in the tree.

~~~

Dear Urist McGelder,
Due to my inexperience and limited vocabulary, it took me several months to realize that you specialized in cutting off animal testicles. For that, I am sorry.

When I finally assigned some animals to be gelded, it was a joy to see you spring into action like all your dreams had been fulfilled. Your efforts have done a great deal to rein in the massive swarm of dogs living in the dining hall.

However, you have now neutered every vaguely applicable animal in the fortress. Gelding is not a skill that frequently sees repeat customers, so there will probably be a limited amount of work for you in the future. I would personally recommend looking into a back up profession beyond 'hanging out in the dining room doing nothing'.

Sincerely, Overseer McSlightlyAmusedThatGeldingIsYourOnlyNonMilitarySkill

~~~

Dear Urist McMigrant and family,
Our fortress is very accessible. You can get to it from pretty much any area of the map. Except for the tiny corner blocked off by the river. It's about three tiles wide. If I didn't make a habit of checking every migrant coming into my fortress, you would have probably starved. I'd ask you to pass this information on to other potential visitors, but since my dwarves went out there and built a bridge specifically for you, there probably won't be any repeat incidents.

Sincerely, Overseer McKindaImpressedByYourCompleteLackOfPlanningSkills

~~~

Dear Urist McAnimalLover,
I think you'll find this fortress has a very welcoming attitude towards pets.
We don't use cages, our meat industry is nonexistent, and if you look in the great hall, you'll see that dogs, cats, and even chickens are free to wander the building with or without their owners.

That said, please pasture your goat. She follows you everywhere, and it is clear you two share a very deep bond. But she needs to graze, and in case you have not noticed, there is no grass growing inside of our fortress.

I've assigned her to a spacious area with some other goats and assorted animals. You can come see her at any time, and if you are still lonely, you may also adopt one of the more indoor-friendly pets residing in the great hall.

Sincerely Overseer McDoesn'tTrustAnyoneToFeedTheirPetsWhenTheyCan'tRememberToFeedTheWounded

P.S. The same goes for the guy who just laid claim on all the baby lambs. You know where they belong, and it's not in your bedroom.

And then from my current fort:

Dear Dakost the Nanny Goat,
I put you up for adoption because you are apparently a more competent fighter than a trained war dog. When a badger attacked the livestock, you mauled it and single handedly drove it off, your only injury being a cut on your head that quickly healed into a badass scar.

Meanwhile, the war dog barely chased his badger away after sustaining several wounds and passing out from the pain.

Hopefully you will be able to live an easy life of retirement from now on, but if the time comes, I trust you will protect your small child from badgers as effortlessly as you protected our livestock.

Thanks, Your Overseer.

~~~

Dear Urist McMigrantMamma,
Yes, I know our chairs are very nice. But aren't you forgetting something? Perhaps your baby? The one you dropped on the ground the second you entered the map?

While he is almost a year old now, and it was very impressive watching him climb down the mountain alone, all the while puking heavily, on account of cave adaption, he really shouldn't have had to do that. I'm disappointed in you.

Sincerely, Overseer McWonderingAboutDwarvenChildProtectionSevices

P.S. Why does he have cave adaptation in the first place? You don't. Is this 'abandoning you child somewhere while you do something else a routine for you??

~~~

Dear Urist McHauler,
Yes, full pots are heavy. You don't like carrying them around, and I can't exactly blame you for that.

But do you think that when I asked you to move the prepared meals pot one tile over, to the new food stockpile, it might possibly have been easier to just do it, instead of removing everything from the pot, putting the individual meals in the stockpile, and then moving the pot?

Sincerely, Overseer McOnlyAmusedBecauseYouDon'tHaveAnythingBetterToDo

~~~

Dear Elves,
I'm afraid we may have given you the wrong impression. Last year, in a fit of horrified revulsion, our mason carved a high quality sculpture of a fly. We traded it to you, not in an attempt to communicate something about this fortress's interests, but because we felt like getting it out of the basement would be comforting to the general population.

On that note, while it was, based on the information you were given, extremely thoughtful of you to bring us that tame giant fly this year, we have absolutely no use for it, and only purchased it to make you feel better. I and our new, worm-hating mason would prefer if in the future, you didn't judge our needs based on one sculptor's bizarre obsession.

Your faithful trading partners, the dwarves of Rashgudid

~~~

Dear Urist McBarfy,
I understand that the sun is super gross, and looking at it is enough to make you puke. I don't hold it against you at all. If anything I respect you all the more for being able to carry out your job while constantly reching.

However, in the interest of not grossing out the traders and planters, would it be possible to aim your barf at the grass, instead of puking all over our garden plots and nice new road?

Sincerely, Overseer McNeatFreak

~~~

Dear Urist McDoesn'tHaveCaveAdaption and friends,
I've noticed you all love cleaning so much that you'll happily wander into the middle of a dog fight if it means you get to mop up some blood. Thanks to you, our fortress probably has most spotless floor for miles.

Could you now direct your attention to the smears of puke and blood outside? I know outdoor cleaning is generally frowned upon, due to the dangers it can bring, but the most dangerous thing in this area is the the occasional badger. We don't get much rain, and the entire courtyard is a mess.

Still wanting things tidy, Overseer McNeatFreak

P.S. If that's beyond your skill level, could you at least start experimenting with cleaning vertical surfaces? Horizontal stains may come and go, but that badger blood has been on the library wall for months.

~~~

Dear Urist McAnimalPasturer and friends,
I really appreciate the work you guys do. If it weren't for you, the poor horses and goats would happily sit around inside and starve. You're the ones who put them in the pasture, and you're the ones who keep them there in the event of badgers trundling in and making the grazers uncomfortable.

However. You're probably aware of the cage traps scattered across the mountain. They're very effective, and we always catch way too much wildlife with them. That is why I developed the pasture based wildlife release method. A dwarf removes the wild animal from it's cage, takes it on a lovely little stroll up the mountain, then releases it into the nice mountain-top pasture I designated specifically for this purpose.

The goal is for the wild animal to wander out of the pasture, and eventually off the map, attaining the status of "no longer my problem".

Therefore, while I absolutely admire your dedication to your jobs, there is no need for you to repeatedly hunt down the aforementioned animal, metaphorically wrestle the poor thing into submission, and then drag it, terrified, back to the pasture that was only ever supposed to be temporary anyways.

Sincerely, Overseer McShouldn'tHaveToUndoPastureDesignationsForAnimalsWhoAlreadyLeftTheMap

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6689 on: June 21, 2016, 05:19:28 pm »

Dear Urist McSpearlady: You're awesome, despite your insistence on using that iron spear instead of the regulation steel battleaxe. I let it slide because you killed a forgotten beast with it your second year here, before we even had a proper militia. Your single-handed annihilation of half the goblin siege before the rest of the squad arrived is proof that you should keep it. Keep up the good work.

Dear Urist McWunderkind. You were an infant when both of your parents were killed by the forgotten beast Ngobo Beachslithers the Master of Holes but look at you now. At the age of 4 you've completed your life dream of creating a great work of art by crafting a legendary pig bone short sword. Good on you.

Dear Urist McEverybodyElse: quit your whining about silly stuff like insufficient tables and not being able to pray. We have multiple pantheistic temples and a dining hall with more than enough room for everyone, use them.
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 504