Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 504

Author Topic: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves  (Read 1473314 times)

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
  • The only person who cares about Tales from Entar
    • View Profile
Re: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves
« Reply #7065 on: December 09, 2017, 10:46:32 am »

Dear citizens of Skinnedseals;

STOP BREAKING THE MAGMA PUMPS. HOW ARE YOU EVEN DOING IT. WHATEVER YOU'VE DONE SINCE I'VE BEEN AWAY I CAN'T FIX IT, THE STACK KEEPS COLLAPSING AND NOW THE FORGES ARE USELESS.

Yours, Urist Emptyarmory

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7066 on: December 09, 2017, 02:51:43 pm »

Dear Urist Emptyarmory,

Wait, did you not want the magma pumps to be these featherwood ones? But they're so well-made! I don't know why you're insisting on using the magma-safe ones when these have *enormous wooden corkscrews* in them.

Yours, Urist McFurnitureHauler
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7067 on: December 09, 2017, 03:34:34 pm »

(Wooden pumps will not burned or be damaged even when pumping magma, this public service announcement brought to you by Urist McVeryOffendedPhysicist)
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7068 on: December 09, 2017, 03:36:47 pm »

(Wooden pumps will not burned or be damaged even when pumping magma, this public service announcement brought to you by Urist McVeryOffendedPhysicist)

Wooden pumps will indeed eventually melt when pumping magma. It might not happen immediately, but it will happen. You may also be thinking of another version.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7069 on: December 09, 2017, 05:46:21 pm »

(Wooden pumps will not burned or be damaged even when pumping magma, this public service announcement brought to you by Urist McFloodsYourFortressWithMagma)

FTFY.

I can see the confusion, though, since wooden walls or other constructions won't take damage from magma. I think buildings are different, though? I know pumps need to be magma-safe, though.
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7070 on: December 09, 2017, 06:36:20 pm »

Might be from the version I started playing with, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when in 34.11...Last time I read the wiki anyway, wooden pumps would work fine with magma, because DWARF.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7071 on: December 10, 2017, 12:38:50 am »

The relevant text from the wiki page on screw pumps, just because I'm curious now:

In order to safely pump magma, you must use magma-safe materials, though magma-unsafe metals have been observed to be safe unless the open tile is going to be submerged in magma. Wooden parts (except for nether-caps) will burst into flames the instant the pump is activated, and magma-unsafe stone blocks melt after a short time.
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7072 on: December 10, 2017, 03:51:19 pm »

Dear Mayor,

I know you like the above ground tavern. The crowd is lively. However, when the big door in the side of the tavern drops and the alarm bells go off, please proceed underground with the rest of the populace. You got lucky in that werelizard fight.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7073 on: December 10, 2017, 06:03:22 pm »

To: nobles of "onslaughgranite"
subject: demands

It has come to my attention that the noble population has been making more and more impossible demands, while demands and mandates are perfectly acceptable among the nobles, the frequency of mandates and demands as well as the demands themselves have worn my patience severely, my masons, smiths and carpenters have had much of there precious time making your absurd demands. My limit, however, was reached when a "Thob Rawcrystals" baron of this fortress mandated the construction of a slade bed. this, of course is impossible. In response I have constructed multiply cages that have been scattered around the map, in the event that a similar absurd demand or mandate is made, the offender will be hauled to the nearest cage out there, walled up, and promptly forgotten has they slowly starve to death. you have been warned.

signed, your frustrated overseer
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7074 on: December 11, 2017, 03:51:31 am »

Dear Mc Overseer,

why did you kept postponing the building of defenses? Now we have an evil horde outside the outpost, and no defense set up.
And our militia is untrained and we have only ten bronze war axes and ten bronze shields, we are doomed!
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7075 on: December 11, 2017, 04:19:06 pm »

to: caged nobles of onslaughgranite
subject: cageyness

I warned you, I gave you all a chance, I even relented to the mayor's demand of a gold armor stand in his room when I had little gold left, but you have not relented with your absurd demands and mandates, hope that a siege comes to end your lives quickly, else you can look forward to slow death via starvation.

signed: your now laughing overseer
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7076 on: December 11, 2017, 09:40:57 pm »

TO: Urist McMasonThePoet, Urist McMechanic the Bard
SUBJECT: Time management

Dear Urist McMason and Urist McMechanic,

Just in case you were not warned by the trail of injured dwarves being carried through the tavern because of the failed danger room experiment, we may or may not need your services to make some more traction tables. I would appreciate it (and I believe the heavily armed military would too) if you spent some time on constructing another traction bench and making the necessary tables for it, instead of using your nonexistent poet skills on reciting poetry in the tavern. Look at Urist McCarpenter; now there's an example of setting your priorities straight.

Oh, and while we're at it, please stop interacting so much with the goblin beast hunter. You're making us worried.

Sincerely,

Paralyzoid
Senior Assistant of Armok
He felt aroused after seeing the goblin Ramkal Drunkensiege's dead body.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7077 on: December 11, 2017, 10:23:32 pm »

To: Urist McNewKing
Re: Mandates and demands

We just started this fort one year ago. This site does not have any bismuthinite, and our civilization sends no liaison on account of being dead -- which you should well know, seeing as its extinction is why you claimed the throne the moment we settled.

Bismuth bronze is not going to happen. Please. Ask for something else.

And quit whining about your insufficient accommodations! You've been a king for a single year! Work your way up!
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7078 on: December 13, 2017, 08:13:53 am »

Whahaha I am dumb.

Dear Urist, could you not have warned me when I was editing my raws to make them more FPS friendly (remove FLIER tags), that I should do the insects too?
I thought they weren't nescessary, cause vermin doesn't path.

Embark on joyous wilds.

Map is full with Giant Monarchs, Fly men, and various other giant versions of the vermin.
Good thing you don't need a world regen to remove them (the flier tags, not the entire creature, that would mess things up I think) from the save raws.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 09:11:00 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Killermartian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7079 on: December 17, 2017, 07:04:19 am »

Dear Urist
Could you refrain from jumping into the well? The signs are there for your safety.
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 504