Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 504

Author Topic: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves  (Read 1492427 times)

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves
« Reply #7170 on: December 09, 2018, 04:36:27 am »

Dear Dorfs of DiamondCommon,

I'm vetoing your choice of mayor.
Aside from demanding piles of coins the second he was elected, he had spent most of the last year alternating between the library reading 'The Blight of Mortality' and the temple praying to 'The Whiskered Creature,' a deity of silence, nightmares, and death, of which he is an ardent worshiper.
No. Just no.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7171 on: December 09, 2018, 04:47:51 am »

Dear--sigh, I'm back already--hunters/monster slayers/marksdwarves of DiamondCommon,

When a creature sneaks into the fortress, you can't casually shoot it once in the guts and then knock off for a drink.
Now we're stuck with some stupid Yakkity Sax montage as your compatriots try to chase down the elk bird that's running through all the bedrooms and waking up dorfs by kicking their doors in, bleating and vomiting on beds the whole while.
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7172 on: December 09, 2018, 07:31:49 pm »

Dear--sigh, I'm back already--hunters/monster slayers/marksdwarves of DiamondCommon,

When a creature sneaks into the fortress, you can't casually shoot it once in the guts and then knock off for a drink.
Now we're stuck with some stupid Yakkity Sax montage as your compatriots try to chase down the elk bird that's running through all the bedrooms and waking up dorfs by kicking their doors in, bleating and vomiting on beds the whole while.

The mental image gave me a good laugh. Thank you.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7173 on: December 09, 2018, 10:15:43 pm »

The mental image gave me a good laugh. Thank you.

That's kind of what I got, too. Seriously, it ran through the bedrooms and covered half the beds in vomit. And pretty much only the beds.
And I can only imagine elk birds bleating terribly. Like halfway between an elk and a goose.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 10:18:39 pm by Deus Machina »

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7174 on: December 09, 2018, 10:16:26 pm »

Dear military of DiamondCommon,

Good job breaking that siege. Albeit all but two kills were by our favorite human pikeman, who was unfortunately our only casualty.
Three of those kills were after bruising and tearing to his lungs. He will be laid to rest with full honors.
As for the dwarves he killed? They were sent by the goblin pits we've been raiding for the last three years. Not sure whether that surprises me, but they're getting the usual goblin burial: stripped bare and tossed in the volcano.

Hammerdwarf Lokumakrul, you received great commendations for chasing down the last surviving raider and delivering a single well-aimed kick in the teeth that knocked him off the cliffs above the entrance. You shall receive the Official Boot of Valor (it's the pig iron boot the armorer made in a fey mood, but it's the sentiment that counts) for being totally badass going beyond the call of duty.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 04:45:12 am by Deus Machina »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7175 on: December 10, 2018, 04:46:41 am »

This. Is. DIAMONDCOMMON.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7176 on: December 20, 2018, 02:47:42 am »

Dear Dwarves:

Do the priority 1 excavations. I need them done to provide enough water to fill the second water reactor which in turn is necessary for the mist generator and bathtub. If you fail to comply, I will let you all go insane.

RELATED: does retiring/unretiring a fort do anything about the mental state of the citizens? Between the fact that everyone's going melancholy or stark raving mad over life in general (not even anything noteworthy in the last 5 years) and the fact that my fort is still inexplicably at war with my home civ, I'm considering it despite the extreme hassle and the FPS drop as the dammed river re-drains.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7177 on: December 21, 2018, 09:31:04 am »

Dear Dwarves:

Do the priority 1 excavations. I need them done to provide enough water to fill the second water reactor which in turn is necessary for the mist generator and bathtub. If you fail to comply, I will let you all go insane.

RELATED: does retiring/unretiring a fort do anything about the mental state of the citizens? Between the fact that everyone's going melancholy or stark raving mad over life in general (not even anything noteworthy in the last 5 years) and the fact that my fort is still inexplicably at war with my home civ, I'm considering it despite the extreme hassle and the FPS drop as the dammed river re-drains.

The stress system is quite bugged at the moment, mainly with how each bit from an invasion/hunting expedition can ruin a dwarfs mood. For the time being, the best solution is just to use df hack and remove-stress all
Look at the picture in the spoiler.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171185.msg7840276#msg7840276

Dear Urist McCrossbow recruit,

Not quite sure what to make of you. On the one hand you yeet yourself into the 10z deep murder pit, break your legs, and almost die, only to be saved by the grace of your brothers who decided to shoot the goblins from behind the fortifications and save you. On the other hand, you shot at the dragon causing it to jump into the pit face first and explode. I guess I can consider your time in the military a success and you can go back to crafting since you wont be walking for quite a while.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 09:39:38 am by ZachUSAman »

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7178 on: December 21, 2018, 10:50:07 am »

On the other hand, you shot at the dragon causing it to jump into the pit face first and explode.
This is distilled Dwarf Fortress combat.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7179 on: December 21, 2018, 11:19:05 am »

Dear Dwarves:

The stress system is quite bugged at the moment, mainly with how each bit from an invasion/hunting expedition can ruin a dwarfs mood. For the time being, the best solution is just to use df hack and remove-stress all

problem: no method of installing or configuring DFhack known to me has yet succeeded in getting it to run. No amount of troubleshooting has managed to get it into a better situation than this:
df_osx_emotionactualfix/dfhack-0.44.12-r1-OSX-64-gcc-7.3.0/dfhack: line 15: ./dwarfort.exe: No such file or directory

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7180 on: December 23, 2018, 01:55:28 pm »

Dear Dwarves:

problem: no method of installing or configuring DFhack known to me has yet succeeded in getting it to run. No amount of troubleshooting has managed to get it into a better situation than this:
df_osx_emotionactualfix/dfhack-0.44.12-r1-OSX-64-gcc-7.3.0/dfhack: line 15: ./dwarfort.exe: No such file or directory

Are you on a mac? If so, good luck, I know theres some funky things with security you have to mess with, but that abomination of an OS is not something I am good at. If your on windows though, just get the lazy newb pack since it has everything bundled together.
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Utility:DFHack/Installation

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7181 on: December 23, 2018, 08:07:46 pm »

Dear dorfs of Diamondcommon,

There is a known gremlin in the fort. It keeps distracting your productive brethren.
Now go kill it like I told you a season ago, because it made a beeline for Control Room #3 and there's a reason that lever is labelled 'SPIDERS!'.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7182 on: December 23, 2018, 09:56:15 pm »

Dear Militiadwarf,
I know you like mittens, but you can't wear the metal gauntlets I assign you unless you take them off first.  I know copper isn't the most exciting metal, but it's much better than pig-tail fibers at stopping Were-Iguana bites.  I know it was just a small wound, just a nibble really, but from what I've been told, that's enough.  Now if you'd be kind enough to stand over there while we finish up some masonry work, you'll get your very own room and in a few weeks you'll be amazed at how easy it is for your mittens to come off.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: December 23, 2018, 11:59:14 pm »

Dear giant cave spiders of Malicedeep Diamondcommon,

Apparently your old kobold master have trained you not to shot web.
We'll be capturing your wild brethren for that. In the meantime, we'll have to figure out what to do with you guys.
Count yourselves lucky if you end up as guard animals instead of roasts.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7184 on: December 26, 2018, 10:56:21 pm »

Dear giant cave spiders of Malicedeep Diamondcommon,

Apparently your old kobold master have trained you not to shot web.
We'll be capturing your wild brethren for that. In the meantime, we'll have to figure out what to do with you guys.
Count yourselves lucky if you end up as guard animals instead of roasts.
I take it you can't even use them for silk farming?
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 504