Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 504

Author Topic: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves  (Read 1473109 times)

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves
« Reply #7185 on: December 27, 2018, 12:50:23 am »

I take it you can't even use them for silk farming?

So far, they refuse to shot web at anything restrained. They've only done it to active invaders, which I found out after pasturing them at the bottom of the moat and dumping some goblins in during a siege.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7186 on: December 27, 2018, 06:46:38 am »

Are you chaining tame dogs? Try something wild.

Failing that, chain a gobbo  ;)
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7187 on: December 27, 2018, 02:38:14 pm »

Are you chaining tame dogs? Try something wild.

Failing that, chain a gobbo  ;)

Only stuff hostile to the tame GCS, or at least wild. Elk birds and trolls were a no-go.
They killed the trolls just fine one they got close, but no web.
I'll try goblins after the next siege, but so far they've had to have been uncaptured and during it.
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: December 28, 2018, 01:23:13 am »

Dear civilians of Diamondcommon,
We have clothing. Stop pouncing on the steel armor pieces before the military can get to them.
You guys are wearing more of it than the people it's issued to.

On the other hand:
Dear military of Diamondcommon,

We still have a few unclaimed steel mail shirts and helms.
Some of you guys are lazy and doing without. Put them on, or you'll be replaced by someone that will, and we'll have one less mouth to feed.

Furthermor:
Dear stupid human hammerlord,
You captured an artifact iron maul from a goblin pit. You have been issued this particular maul.
Why in Armok's name was it sitting in the stockpile when the siege came?

Belay that, I finally realized you're missing a whole bunch of fingers.
Good job killing a whole squad of gobbos with that shield. You're getting a masterwork steel one as soon as it can be made.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 02:49:33 am by Deus Machina »

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: January 12, 2019, 11:35:17 am »

Dear Urist McDumbassJeweler

Do I need to enroll you in a remedial maths course? There are 268 entire cut lapises in the stockpile. And yet, for some peculiar reason, you are insisting we are out of lapis for encrusting furniture. My good dorf, this site is lousy with lapis. There is not a shortage. Now get back to work before I figure out how to club you upside the head with a sandbag.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: January 13, 2019, 11:32:47 am »

Dear Urist McDumbassJeweler

Do I need to enroll you in a remedial maths course? There are 268 entire cut lapises in the stockpile. And yet, for some peculiar reason, you are insisting we are out of lapis for encrusting furniture. My good dorf, this site is lousy with lapis. There is not a shortage. Now get back to work before I figure out how to club you upside the head with a sandbag.
Are they in bins? Bins can be troublesome.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: January 13, 2019, 07:41:05 pm »

they were, and i think that's probably what it was, someone else having a job involving that bin at the same time. they got it straightened out eventually.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarve
« Reply #7192 on: January 20, 2019, 07:50:00 pm »

Dear Urist McClothier,

Let me first extend my most heartfelt condolences in this trying time. I do understand; art desecration is a terrible thing, and it is my understanding that a number of your greatest works were recently destroyed. Take all the time you need until the emotional shock passes.

That said, it would be of some personal comfort to me if you gave some indication of grief or even acknowledgement, however small, for the half dozen dwarves who were wearing them when the collapsing scaffolding cast them screaming into the magma moat.

Regards,
The Overseer

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarve
« Reply #7193 on: January 21, 2019, 06:31:07 am »

Dear Urist McClothier,

Let me first extend my most heartfelt condolences in this trying time. I do understand; art desecration is a terrible thing, and it is my understanding that a number of your greatest works were recently destroyed. Take all the time you need until the emotional shock passes.

That said, it would be of some personal comfort to me if you gave some indication of grief or even acknowledgement, however small, for the half dozen dwarves who were wearing them when the collapsing scaffolding cast them screaming into the magma moat.

Regards,
The Overseer
"Don't know 'em, didn't see the bodies, don't have to care.  Now if you'll excuse me, I need to mourn the loss of fine socks and trousers whose fate I never saw."
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7194 on: January 25, 2019, 12:04:54 pm »

Dear Hammer Dwarf,

Yes, you are weak and slow to heal and are terrified. However, your compatriot in arms was just on the other side of the door to the caverns battling a troll all by themselves. One by one, you could hear their arms break, their left hip crushed, their eye gouged out. And yet they fought on, kicking with their last leg and managing, of all things, to bite the troll right in the face and twist its head around savagely. Their desperate shouts for help rang in your ears while you piddled your pants, knuckles white around your weapon and shield.

It was not until two other monster hunters showed up that the three of you attacked and made short work of the troll.

For Luc the Marksman however, it was too late. Shortly thereafter, Luc bled out as the three of you stood by.

I cannot decide yet whether to expel you for cowardice or keep you around to see if this event will change you for the better.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Cydonian Monk

• Bay Watcher
  • Your robots are watching you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: January 25, 2019, 05:14:49 pm »

Dear Urist McGuardWhoWouldBeKing,

I understand your confusion, really, I do. The fort you have been tasked to guard is, in fact, named SunThrone. Throne is part of its name. We do have aspirations of one day becoming a metropolis, challenging the MountainHome, and welcoming the King and his court to live here in our glorious new project.

This does not mean SunThrone is actually a Throne, or in anyway ready to support a monarch. We are a small force of 20 brave souls, and have yet to finish our first winter. The Polar Bears still growl outside our gates. We possess a well, a farm, and five or six sheep. We have brewed a few kegs of our own wine. This, however, is the extent of our wealth. SunThrone is not yet a home fit for a Baron, let alone a King.

And so, despite the conclusion of your recent "polite discussion with your local rivals", we must unfortunately deny your claim to the Kingship of The Metal of Infamy. You are not yet ready to lead your own militia squad, let alone an entire civilization.

Please return to your guard post, which has been moved underneath the atom smasher bridge.

Regards,
Your Expedition Leader.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7196 on: January 26, 2019, 02:03:59 am »

I cannot decide yet whether to expel you for cowardice or keep you around to see if this event will change you for the better.
Dear Expedition Leader,

In some forts I've visited, they solve cowardice by throwing the coward in a room with weak creatures and forcing them to fight. Sure, you can train discipline through combat drills, but real fights seem much more appropriate (and entertaining) in this case.

Just a suggestion,
Monster Hunter
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: January 31, 2019, 07:36:49 am »

Dear Dwarves of Craftright,

What's wrong with you? Why do you declare that there is no "non-economic stone", even when I designated an entire z-level for mining? I could see the microcline, the gabbro, both non-economic stones. Really, why? I even checked that I hadn't restricted them by accident. I had forbidden every single thing in Craftright, then reclaimed everything, thinking that this was related to the brewing incident, in which all of you declared that there was no food to brew alcohol out from.

You're all lucky I couldn't drown you all, since the river was frozen all year round and I don't know how to use pumps. I was rooting for all of you, because there was hematite that just so happened to be in the walls of your bedrooms. Sure, the caravans provided the fortress with 99% of its weapons and armor, but I was hoping that, combined with the marble in the second cavern layer, you'd all be able to make steel weapons, armor and bolts on your own, just in case the elven civilization decided to invade or something.

Regards,
Your (former) overseer.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 10:32:15 am by methylatedspirit »

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: January 31, 2019, 09:33:57 am »

Dear Unknown Vampire,

Well played. That dormitory is like Grand Central Station and yet there were no witnesses to your foul deed!

Still, your overconfidence shall be your undoing. I have been saving that caged zombie elf for a reason you know...

Yours,
The Overseer of Raspedlances
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: February 01, 2019, 05:31:22 pm »

Dear overseer of Raspedlances,

You do know vampires and zombies are like best buddies, dont you?

Sincerely, A. Vampire
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 504