Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Expedition Roguelike  (Read 46945 times)

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
Re: Expedition Roguelike
« Reply #210 on: September 21, 2011, 11:29:40 am »

Very interesting!

Well worth a double post. Out of interest are you planning on generally doing the #1 thing first, #2,#3 etc. and gambling last, or is your development cycle a little bit more involved than that?

If so, some of the ordering surprises me somewhat, but then who am I to say! :)

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 21, 2011, 11:51:33 am »

Very exciting :)

slashie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 21, 2011, 03:31:53 pm »

Yes, they are laid out on execution order, based on what (a small sample of) people deemed more interesting, plus some +1's granted for well grounded discussions (that's why Externalization is 2nd).

The order may change in the future though, based on what people shows interest in. I'm planning to eventually add some functionality to the roadmap so that people can +1 facets and contribute directly on each facet.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 21, 2011, 03:51:53 pm »

Making a colony, raiding the natives and so on is easy enough, but I can never find my starting city again and all other citys don't interact with you :I

Yeah I spend about 3 years trying to find my starting location again so I could report about my supersize citys...

Otherwise fun game.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 03:58:13 pm by ThtblovesDF »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 21, 2011, 04:02:27 pm »

It's at 37n on the south coast of Spain!  Just go to 38n and sail down around the Iberian peninsula.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 21, 2011, 05:51:45 pm »

Found it, actually found it before as well, but ignored it since I can't enter it... how can I return home and present my swag to the king/queen? Can't walk into it, click it or therelike and if I dock in such a way that I only touch the city it asks me if I want to throw things overboard...

slashie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 21, 2011, 05:52:45 pm »

What version are you using??

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 21, 2011, 05:55:40 pm »

Nevermind, figured it out. Mouse moving into it doesn't work, but brute forcing my ship into the city with the arrow keys worked fine.

slashie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 21, 2011, 06:53:29 pm »

Seems http://slashie.net/mantis/view.php?id=1810 is still alive and kicking...

Sometimes I wonder if I should dismiss the world "Globe map" model idea...it brings so many complications :(

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 21, 2011, 07:16:56 pm »

Trading 6000 wood for people crashes the game.

slashie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 21, 2011, 07:20:08 pm »

Hmm.. can you send me the error file? It should have been generated in the game directory (slash at slashware.net)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 21, 2011, 08:36:56 pm »

Sure, did so.

1 explorer + some time = unlimited wealth. Just sell wood to a native village in return for people (get more wood quicker). Made a 500 man group with all the artifacts the little village had + loaded with food out of like a 20 man party.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

slashie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 21, 2011, 11:52:37 pm »

Thanks, registered the exploit too http://slashie.net/mantis/view.php?id=2042 . Wood is overrated :P

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 22, 2011, 09:58:11 am »

Wood may be over-rated, but I think other things are out of balance: 

the natives are willing to trade food for too little (i dont think its crazy to be able to easily get a generous load of food from the natives, but currently you can get so much that it requires multiple trips between you ship and the cache).  Or there needs to be some sort of cap on their surplusses, based on their population.

the natives seem to value their people too highly.  you really need to shower them with goods if you want even a few people, and it should be possible to trade for hundreds (or to convert villiages to missions).  one idea is for villiages to "give up" after enough fighting, and allow you to take their people freely.  currently they fight until the last man.

In trading, I think there needs to be a "relative value" mechanism, where the natives value local goods (or goods produced by their tribe) more than forign goods, so they would be willing to pay more for goods from OTHER tribes, and even more for goods from Europe.  In this way, you could have tribes that wanted "trade goods" but whom we're not stingy about paying with their own trade goods in returns.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 22, 2011, 10:32:30 am »

Got Wood?

I for one really look forward to being able to raid ruins, fight jungle beasts and especially taking part in a more global play... though adding some rpg-ish parts would be great or being able to craft maps of areas to sell back to the homeland & to finally clear up some of the fog of war.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16