Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interpreting 'Legends' - Help Me!  (Read 886 times)

FinalSin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interpreting 'Legends' - Help Me!
« on: August 06, 2010, 10:53:00 am »

Hello,

I don't play DF that much, but as with almost everyone that doesn't play it, it fascinates me to the brink of downloading it every time I read about it. Lately, I've been getting really interested in the world generation, and now I need some help working with the Legends XML dump. Anyone care to help?

At the moment, I'd really like to know:

1. My sites in the XML dump all have empty <structures> tags, even the ones where structures are eventually build. How come?
2. When something is built in a city, it gets recorded as a historical event, with a structure_id. What is that ID used for? Can I look it up somewhere to see what kind of structure it was?
3. Are there any tools for quickly parsing these legends files into a database or more accessible format?
4. What options do I have for getting data about the world map? Is there any Legends-style dump for it?

Cheers!

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
Re: Interpreting 'Legends' - Help Me!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 06:36:55 pm »

World Viewer will be your friend...  It's still a little new (easily chokes on the legends XML from a medium region), but it has awesome potential!
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

FinalSin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 05:54:15 am »

That looks like a great tool. It seems that no matter what, the Legends XML dump just doesn't have all the info in it. I guess there's no other way to get at it right? For instance, in-game Legends knows what structures were built. But we don't get that in the dump?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 07:26:31 am »

Not at this moment....the dump itself even states its incomplete and on top of that worldview may not make all the proper connections yet....give questions and feed back there and perhaps you can get some better answers

FinalSin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 07:28:42 am »

Where do I give 'questions and feedback'? Like in the game suggestions forum?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 07:35:32 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60913.0

just go here and ask questions about worldviewer specifically and whatever about the XMLs....just like you are now...should get some help from the people on that post (including me)

FinalSin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 07:52:35 am »

Thanks a lot!