Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stress testing a computer-can someone please upload a very large fort of theirs?  (Read 3054 times)

Gelatinous yam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I'm stress testing a computer to see how well I can expect it to run dwarf fortress, but I don't have any forts on the new version. Does anyone have a population ~200 fort I could use to check performance?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

Why not use an old version one?  The basic hardware reasons why forts slow down haven't changed.

But anyway, thanks to the way that DF is made, (single thread and 32-bit) and it's unusual load requirements, (extremely large amounts of data being tested near-randomly,) I can say that the single most important thing you can have is fast RAM.  Most games have bottlenecks in rendering/GPU or failure to properly cache, but everything that is the bottleneck of DF lies with RAM.  Pathfinding and the sheer size of vectors of items mean accessing memory unpredictably, which means you have caches misses nigh-constantly. 

Hence, if you want a stellar DF rig, buy the fastest RAM you can, and... well, do whatever with the rest.

Comparatively, your CPU generally is only of marginal importance, as they haven't really been getting faster within a single core for years, and RAM is so much more significant a bottleneck, and a GPU is totally optional. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Actually, CPUs in recent years have been getting better at that kind of thing, even in the last few years, so it's best to get a good one.

https://youtu.be/Nsf2_Au6KxU?t=393

I'd recommend the whole video, though; it gives good insight as to DF's weirdness.

Gelatinous yam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Thanks a ton, that's really useful information.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile

Try last save of Murdermachines: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10705
Disclaimer: Author of this post is not responsible for any lasting damage to your PC and/or sanity.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

I assume that short pipelines would also help, since a branch misprediction is also rather costly.
(not that you're going to find one of those in a modern CPU afaik)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.