Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 53

Author Topic: Fortress Overseer 0.70.1 - !Open Source! 3D Visualizer - 31.25-34.11 Support  (Read 365338 times)

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Try reducing the image size, I had to bring mine to 2 to get it to function properly. But then I use a rather shitty computer, so try starting with 128

akinzle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Try reducing the image size, I had to bring mine to 2 to get it to function properly. But then I use a rather shitty computer, so try starting with 128
Thanks! that worked, reduced it to 128 like you said. Just a minor problem now, all the textures flash between different colors when I look around. A little trippy, but all I wanted was to have a 3d view so it doesnt bother me much.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile

This is a great utility... my congratulations to the coders. Well done.

I need to slow down the keyboard response by about a factor of 30 or 50... one tap on the W/A/S/D/R/F key takes me right through my map and out into empty space on the other side.

I assume that the Config setting that I need to change is:

moveSpeed = .000005

Should I try raising or lowering it? By about how much, to seriously reduce the keyboard response?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
Never pet a burning dog.

Nami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nami Cancels Work:  Interrupted by own gleeful cackling.

It's soo, soooooo fun to see my execution tower/nobles apartments in progress up in 3-d.  It makes building all the more fun.  (it's also funny that ice looks like rock in color, and microcline looks like ice, even though they look completely alike in game.

I do wish though that there could be a way not to see all the z-levels at ones, perhaps say, like Z-levels 145-160, so that all the cavern layers aren't drawn, that way my comp would seize every time I looked downwards.  It would also be cool if I could see underground layers as well as the overground ones, but really I don't mind much at all.

So, awesome, awesome job with it, you made my day.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile

You can set a lowest level to draw.  The .ini has the zstart set to 0 by default.  If you change this number to, say, 50, it will start drawing only once it's reached 50 levels up from the bottom of the map.
At last, she is done.

Psithief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can I get some help?

The colours keep shifting whenever I move the mouse. Fresh installs do nothing, and I've had this problem on a completely different system too.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

everybody's got that problem.

Psithief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, good. The screenshots implied otherwise.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Make sure in your overseer.ini file you have headlight = false. Using the headlight lighting scheme makes things change colors.

Minor update: Still getting pooped on by school. Now that Obsidian is pretty much definitely dead, I think I'm going to try to migrate away from OSG. Almost all of the current issues will disappear when that happens, and hopefully if I get things running as fast as they are in OSG (or better?) new features will be way easier to add. Sorry for the stagnated state of Overseer right now, but hopefully it will be back on its feet in several weeks.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile

Glad to hear you're still thinking about this project.  It's great to have a 3D visualizer for DF, and I appreciate your work.  I never would have been inspired to work on a project like Skyscrapes without it:

Spoiler: The Tower (click to show/hide)
At last, she is done.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dang, Skyscrapes has gotten a lot bigger since I last saw it. Awesome.

UPDATE TIME!

So I've been coding for most of the night, and I think you guys should see what I have right now. I present Project Ogreseer:

Not really much compared to the current release, but trust me, from a backend point of view, this is a MAJOR positive step. I had to do some pretty crazy mesh splitting to get OSG to even approach these speeds on my laptop. The 94fps is the worst that sexymustard and I have seen, with this little tech demo. It's a LOT smoother than OSG. Also, Ogre will support a much larger variety of hardware. The color problems will be gone, all the little hackety things that I've done -- essentially all fixed with this move to Ogre. It may be a bit before I get caught back up to where OSG was, but trust me, it will be well worth it  ;D

Along other lines -- I've been rethinking the way that Overseer draws. Right now -- both in the OSG version and this simple Ogre geometry port -- it's a tile-per-tile thing. All tiles are 1x1x1 cubes and whatever tile type it is is what shape geometry it gets. That's pretty much the current Overseer look.

I've been thinking about ways to make it look more natural, and I think I have one. It'll involve averaging things out over z-levels while pinning certain points between them, with some perlin noise mixed in. In the end, if I get the algorithm down right, it'll retain the rigid shapes of constructions while simultaneously producing naturally rolling hills and valleys.

So, there's a lot on the table now for Overseer. For all intents and purposes, I now consider the OSG branch dead. What that means is that things missing from it -- furniture, vegetation, and liquids -- won't be coming for a while (though once geometry is back up, they'll be super easy to implement this time). There's two ways I can go -- I can either do a full port with minor backend rewrite so what's seen in Ogre would essentially look like what the OSG branch looked like, or I can start working on this new geometry generator to try to get a more natural, pretty feel, though it will take longer to get the visualizer back into a "releasable" state.

So what do you guys think? Personally, I'm open to either way.  ;)

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Take the latter option. Considering the game this is for, I think we're willing to wait for better versions.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile

Sounds cool, but I'd like an option to not have the randomness for natural terrain and keep everything in cubes. I think Visual Fortress had that.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

I'd rather have a quick working port to ogre before you start going fancy.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile

Tough call.  I know nothing of programming, but how much of a rewrite will the next SF release require?  I guess I'd be careful not to do too so much that you need to re-write before you can release.
At last, she is done.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 53