Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 53

Author Topic: Fortress Overseer 0.70.1 - !Open Source! 3D Visualizer - 31.25-34.11 Support  (Read 364320 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile

Holy schist, those images look awesome. Hope it'll still run on my aging laptop when the next release is done. I remember my graphics processor having a strong dislike of Visual Fortress's shaders.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart

I am currently lacking any interesting forts to render, (downloading the adamnatine spire for the lolz) but if someone has a nice structure, send me a PM and I'll see what magic I can do :)

So I did some stuff. I downloaded skyscrapes, and here it goes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The lateral cutaway is completely broken because 3dsmax can't figure out which volumes are walls and which are empty.

One problem though is the lack of coherency of the geometry as a whole, I tried doing some shaderjobs on vray but even ambient occlusion/dirtmaps had it spazzing like mad and doing funky stuff. (Normals were flipped but looked OK, but I had to reflip them to get it working properly.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 04:43:06 pm by Djohaal »
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile

Ooo, Shiny!  :o Looks so white and pristine.
How long will your computer suffer rendering the adamatine spire?

I could cobble something up poorly in blender if I had good source material as well..hm
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The lateral cutaway is completely broken because 3dsmax can't figure out which volumes are walls and which are empty.

One problem though is the lack of coherency of the geometry as a whole, I tried doing some shaderjobs on vray but even ambient occlusion/dirtmaps had it spazzing like mad and doing funky stuff. (Normals were flipped but looked OK, but I had to reflip them to get it working properly.

Not sure how to remedy the lateral cutaway thing, I'm doing my best to render the fortress optimally for realitme visualizing at the moment, and I have no idea how lateral cutaway works in max.

If you haven't welded / removed duplicate vertices yet, do that. I have to generate a bunch of duplicates in openscenegraph to get things to work properly (it's the required way of doing things, I promise).

Which normals were facing the wrong way? The more specific you can be the better, eg, walls facing north, etc.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart

Not sure how to remedy the lateral cutaway thing, I'm doing my best to render the fortress optimally for realitme visualizing at the moment, and I have no idea how lateral cutaway works in max.

If you haven't welded / removed duplicate vertices yet, do that. I have to generate a bunch of duplicates in openscenegraph to get things to work properly (it's the required way of doing things, I promise).

Which normals were facing the wrong way? The more specific you can be the better, eg, walls facing north, etc.

I tried welding but 3dsmax went nuts and make a completely crooked mesh, it can't figure out automatically which ones to keep and which ones to discard, so I end up with something full of holes and fucked up. Wrong normals happen on ramps and all polygons adjacent to them.

Maybe (I know I'm asking too much) you could make a secondary app that genned a single mesh with no duplicates for exporting purposes. As it is the scene is quite dirty to handle.

Don't waste your time with the cutaway thing, it is something on 3dsmax's end. If the geometry was more coherent it would be easier to pick closed loops and cap them though.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 09:26:23 pm by Djohaal »
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have absolutely no experience whatsoever with 3DSMax, so I can't really help you there... duplicate removal in Blender seems to work fine though...

I'll check out the normals in the ramp code. I was indeed thinking about having a separate loader that optimizes for export, but that's not top priority for me right now. It'll come eventually though!

EDIT: I drew the normals on a set of ramps in Blender and only found one issue with one of the ramp boundary cases. I didn't see anything wrong with the actual ramps themselves...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 10:04:20 pm by thewonderidiot »

bartavelle

• Bay Watcher
  • Coin coin!
    • View Profile

Those 3DS shots do look good.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart

I have absolutely no experience whatsoever with 3DSMax, so I can't really help you there... duplicate removal in Blender seems to work fine though...

I'll check out the normals in the ramp code. I was indeed thinking about having a separate loader that optimizes for export, but that's not top priority for me right now. It'll come eventually though!

EDIT: I drew the normals on a set of ramps in Blender and only found one issue with one of the ramp boundary cases. I didn't see anything wrong with the actual ramps themselves...

Maybe the .obj export/import is messing it up..

Also, tadpoles.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile

Nice images.

Now you need to train your dwarves in parkour and have them do fast-paced forbidden item hauling on the upper levels while avoiding the hammerers and seeking to eventually bring down the nobles. 
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe the .obj export/import is messing it up..

I used the .obj import for Blender, here's a screencap of the normals being drawn:

That's after duplicate vertex removal, but I didn't see anything wrong with the normals before duplicate removal either.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, I've been working on materials and vegetation. Here's a preview of what's coming up:

All of the textures on the terrain are being autodetected -- if there's a file with the proper material name, it'll use it as the material for all faces with that material. Almost all of the textures being used in the above image were random things I found on google, so expect the quality of the textures to improve.

Also, as you can see, I still haven't put in lighting. Also, it's just regular texture maps being loaded now -- I still need to put in autodetection and loading of normal maps and shaders. Things are coming along quite smoothly though  :D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 06:31:56 am by thewonderidiot »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile

Those trees look delicious.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Those trees look delicious.
The proper term is deciduous.

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Very impressive. I very, very eagerly await the next release.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart

Most likely it is my duplicate removal that is doing silly stuff.

Also, tadpoles.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 53