Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 53

Author Topic: Fortress Overseer 0.70.1 - !Open Source! 3D Visualizer - 31.25-34.11 Support  (Read 364316 times)

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, if you really want one...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see... well, there's not much to see yet. The arrows are for determining that I'm setting up textures facing a uniform direction -- but other than that, no texturing/material support yet. That's what's on the plate right now, and following that and some basic control/interface stuff... you can probably expect to see a first release next weekendish.

EDIT: I guess I should point out that I don't intend to release something with less features than the OSG version. Right now the geometry is done but we're working on getting everything else up to par.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:39:17 pm by thewonderidiot »

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tried loading this up and running it, but it seems like my computer couldn't handle it.
I've got an i5-760 1.8GHz and a 5770 but the thing still runs crazy slow.

Could embark area have anything to do with it? I've got a 5x5 selected I think.

Running on 31.18 btw.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tried loading this up and running it, but it seems like my computer couldn't handle it.
I've got an i5-760 1.8GHz and a 5770 but the thing still runs crazy slow.

Could embark area have anything to do with it? I've got a 5x5 selected I think.

Running on 31.18 btw.

Yeah, 5x5 will be slow. Try reducing image size and if that doesn't work, increase zstart.

Bellerophon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've tried to download this six times in the last day and have never gotten past 30 megs. Is there another mirror besides dffd around?

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

excuse me, but does it work on 31.19?

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've tried to download this six times in the last day and have never gotten past 30 megs. Is there another mirror besides dffd around?

I put it up on filevo for you: http://filevo.com/x76wmzxyaxm0.html

excuse me, but does it work on 31.19?
Not sure, but it's worth a try. Use this Memory.xml: https://github.com/peterix/dfhack/raw/master/data/Memory-ng.xml

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile

Okay, how do you use that memory?
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rename it to just "Memory.xml" and put it in the Overseer directory, overwriting the old Memory.xml.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Overseer v0. Project Ogreseer Preview Relase! (See first post)
« Reply #263 on: March 03, 2011, 01:56:25 am »

Fortress Overseer 0.50 - Project Ogreseer Preview Release
Download Links
DFFD page
Github mirror

Project Ogreseer has landed! Before I start rambling, here's some screenshots:

Overview of the latest skyscrapes:

Closer to the ground, at night:

Savotfeb, the volcano:

The Golden Hall of Nuts:

New Features
  • Water - With live reflection and refraction. The reflection and refraction maps take a while to render, especially when done every frame. Right now, the maps update 0.5 seconds after all camera movement has ceased. This will likely change in the future.
  • Sky - The crazy old skybox is gone, and a dynamic sky is in place! The rate of time passage can be changed with the scroll wheel, and the default speed can be set in overseer.ini
  • Trees - the dorkly little billboard trees are gone! Much better trees are in place. Still no flexibility, so all will be firs for now. This will change soon.
  • Built-in screenshot mechanism. Pressing P or SysRQ/PrtScrn while Overseer is running will cause it to save a screenshot into its screenshots directory.
  • GUI - Right-clicking will now make the interface show up. Pretty minimal so far, right now you can change the base screenshot filename, and toggle the stats box and wireframe.
  • Materials - Ogre has a very, very robust material system. We've got 5 levels of detail set up (if your computer can handle them :) )

Now, for what's changed/missing.
  • Export isn't supported yet due to the way Ogre handles things. Nothing would really be different from the OSG exports, so if an export is still desired, you can continue using that until that functionality is added in.
  • Right-clicking no longer releases the mouse from Overseer, it now brings up the menu. Spacebar is the binding to release/grab the mouse now.
  • No linux support (yet). The sky library that we're using is currently DirectX only. There are other reasons too, and we're working on them. Next release should definitely have linux support.

Controls
  • WASD + RF - standard directional movement + vertical movement
  • P + SysRQ/PrtScrn - save a screenshot to the screenshots directory
  • Mouse movement - looking around
  • Mouse wheel scroll - Speed up/slow down time
  • Right click - toggle menu
  • Spacebar - release/grab mouse
  • Escape - close the app

As for materials, there's 5 levels of detail that you can use. The default is the lowest, so if you have good framerates, try bumping it up! Take a look into overseer.ini for more info.

Now that this is out, I'll elaborate on our current direction. This preview release was, as mentioned earlier, pretty much a direct port over from OSG. There's some fluff added onto it, for sure, but the core app is still in OSG/sample design. I'm currently in the process of rewriting the backend into a legitimate extensible framework.

Here's the idea: We're giving up the possibility of having a real-time 3D visualizer right now. What we are going for is something interactive. The idea is that every object that isn't the terrain will be selectable - you click on it and its bounding box appears. Multiple objects of the same type will be able to be selected via a double click, like an RTS. Selected objects will be able to be moved, scaled, and rotated. You'll also be able to go through a menu, with previews, of other models that you can load in the selected model(s)'s place(s).

All of my work right now is going into the new backend, followed shortly by the new rolling geometry generator. It'll be fairly flexible, so if you turn down the settings on it you'll get the normal blocky look, with more believable ramps in weird cases.

Also, I'll be trying to move all overseer.ini functionality into in-visualizer menus, so you don't have to go rooting around through it anymore.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 11:20:22 pm by thewonderidiot »

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile

Oooo, shiny.

Very nice water.  Is Magma supported?  I don't suppose it would be practical to make magma and HFS into light sources would it?
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oooo, shiny.

Very nice water.  Is Magma supported?  I don't suppose it would be practical to make magma and HFS into light sources would it?

It's not currently supported, but it's definitely practical! Magma will be very glowy, and HFS should be very atmospheric in general. Magma is not present in this release because, since this is a port, adding any more features would mean having to just redo them all over again for the new framework. The new stuff we have now is easily transferable and/or very simply implemented. So yeah, as soon as we have magma, it will be bubbly and glowy. ;D

Orikson

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Woah, this is so awesome.

Promote this man!

Here some shots from my old noobfort.

Defense-Wall + Execution Tower in back

Volcano with magmadiving board
(bubbly magma missing)

€:
I just noticed something relating to the texture rendering. You're probably working on it...

If i look at a wall far away, the texture are parallel to the edges.

But if i get closer, the textures are getting kind of "rotated".

Just wanted to mention this behavior...

Keep it on, you're doing a great job!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 05:29:37 am by Orikson »

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just noticed something relating to the texture rendering. You're probably working on it...

If i look at a wall far away, the texture are parallel to the edges.

But if i get closer, the textures are getting kind of "rotated".

Just wanted to mention this behavior...

Thanks! And this is a known bug with the more intensive shaders. I'll have sexymustard look into it.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile

So, I keep getting an error message of "The program can't start because d3dx9_42.dll is missing from your computer." How can I fix this?
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had the same issue. Try to install direct-x 9, should work (At least for me ;)

I think its quite awesome and works on my 4-5y old imac great. Just got lost in my fort looking through the tunnels (everything looks similar)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 53