Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53

Author Topic: Fortress Overseer 0.70.1 - !Open Source! 3D Visualizer - 31.25-34.11 Support  (Read 364342 times)

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, no buildings or constructions is normal -- I never got around to implementing them. I was making a start, and then work started kicking my ass. It is extremely weird to me that it would just stop working like that, though. I'll keep thinking about it and see if I can figure out what may have happened.

person012345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Overseer 0.70.1 - 3D Visualizer -34.07+31.25 Support (see 1st post)
« Reply #751 on: September 11, 2012, 09:31:18 pm »

My overseer is still just crashing as soon as I start it up. Newest version.

frobnic8

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Don't know why I didn't find this sooner, but much thanks for it. It's a real delight to have a way to peer about my fortress. Here's hoping you have time to keep working on it!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Finally got Overseer working with my computer after a series of unfortunate events.

The results are quite...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Satisfactory.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 10:06:16 pm by Loud Whispers »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Pfft, I could do that.

If I had creativity.
and motivation.
and artistic ability.
and patience.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

runetrantor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Noob question, where is the screenshot folder? I used it, took several shots just as stated, with P, now I am unable to find the directory, it does not seem to be inside the Overseer main folder...
-Maybe this world is another planet's Hell. Aldous Huxley.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

Finally worked out what the problem was - I didn't have DirectX - and got Overseer up. 

Looks very nice...

Two pics:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rest of album.

Thanks for the program, and feel free to use the pics. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Brienne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it still up to date?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

It uses a file exported by DFHack, so it will always support whatever version DFHack supports, however, it hasn't been updated in years.

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Japa, what's the coolest thing going on in the DF community as of late?
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

MrC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Overseer 0.70.1 - 3D Visualizer -34.07+31.25 Support (see 1st post)
« Reply #760 on: November 07, 2013, 07:13:31 pm »

I have a problem with the current version crashing on load. it says d3ddx9_43.dll could not be found.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: November 07, 2013, 08:07:38 pm »

You need to install DirectX9, I think.  Google it for more detail, but it worked for me. 
 Donations here.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: November 12, 2013, 04:58:11 pm »

Alternatively, if you want to try just using OpenGL for rendering, edit plugins.cfg and make sure all lines mentioning Direct3D begin with a # -- this will prevent Ogre from using Direct3D as one of its rendering options and therefore it will no longer attempt (and fail) to load it.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Overseer 0.70.1 - !Open Source! 3D Visualizer - 31.25-34.11 Support
« Reply #763 on: December 08, 2013, 12:05:02 am »

Thanks everybody for helping out! Just bumping to point out that I've just updated the first post with some status info. You can't miss it, it's at the very top.  ;)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

I'm currently trying to get a fort 3D printed, and Overseer is the only thing I've heard of that exports a 3D model of a fort.  Unfortunately my attempts failed, and eventually a topic search for "obj" led me to the following (old) snippets:

Is there, or can there be, a way to export these as .obj or other common 3D formats so they can be opened in a modeler?
Absolutely! You'll have to deal with the current uppity geometry generator, but hopefully this will be good enough for now. Whenever the visualizer is running, if you hit 'x', it will export an "embark.obj" into the working directory.
Unfortunately the linked version (while I assume it does the exports) doesn't take the exported dfmap file and instead requires a connection to a pre-0.31 version of DF.  Which obviously isn't compatible with any recent forts. 

Is there a way to regain the obj export function? It seem missing in the new version and the old 0.27 doesn't work with 31.25.
Yes, it'll be back in the next couple of versions for sure.
The listing of controls in the first post does include "'x' for .obj export", but on closer inspection it and all the other controls are below the line of old stuff to ignore - and it doesn't appear to work in v0.70.1. 

I'm left looking for one of a number of things:
 - user documentation for the current version of Overseer, including an up-to-date list of controls and features
 - some way to export a mesh from Overseer
 - an indication of how difficult it might be to re-add .obj export support, which seems to have gone missing without explanation
 - some other way of getting a mesh of a recent fort

I don't want to sound like I'm whining about it - Overseer has been fantastic, and if nothing else it's a good starting point - I was just disappointed when exporting didn't work and I'm not sure what's going on or even whether it should have worked at all. 
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53