Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53

Author Topic: Fortress Overseer 0.70.1 - !Open Source! 3D Visualizer - 31.25-34.11 Support  (Read 364313 times)

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You've pretty much got the gist of it -- OBJ export was built into OpenSceneGraph, and we lost that capability when we switched from OSG to Ogre. I've done all sorts of searching, but Ogre doesn't appear to have any sort of object exporting capability, or at least it didn't at the time. Eventually I just gave up and figured I'd have to write my own OBJ exporter when I got around to it.

This would be a lot more complicated in Ogre; in the early OSG versions, I was generating the entire embark as one enormous mesh. The Ogre version uses PolyVox to extract meshes in chunks, sort of like how Minecraft works. A custom exporter would have to walk through each chunk and save it out to the OBJ, and possibly repair any seams or whatnot.

Anyways, things were overcome by events, and I never got around to writing this exporter. Unfortunately I can't really answer any to of your four things; as far as I know, there isn't any way to export OBJ files from 31.25+ forts. This is definitely the thing I miss the most. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you!  :-[

EDIT: Thinking for a bit, your best bet is probably to try to resurrect the OSG version. You'll lose vegetation, and the ramps will be sharp 45 degree angles instead of smoothish, if that's okay. The source for the OSG version is here. DwarfGeometry.cpp needs to be updated to read in from DFMap files, as is done in the Ogre verion's LoadingState.cpp. Most of the stuff you can ignore, since for a 3d printer target you don't care about texture, plants, or any of that stuff -- just tile shape.

Specifically, it appears that this logic primarily exists to populate the tiles array. Theoretically you'd just have to fill up tiles with data from the .dfmap file, delete all the unnecessary calls to obsolete DFHack functions, and replace the calls to things like DFHack::isWallTerrain with checks against the protobuf's TileType.

It'd be quite a surgery, but it should work. Although now that I've written it all out, I'm not sure if that would be more complicated than just writing an OBJ exporter for Ogre or not. Do you know C++?  :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 11:36:31 pm by thewonderidiot »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

No worries, I'll just have to come up with something else then :-)
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

Maybe give a try to :
http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/3DRipperDX.htm

As Ogre can work with D3D , it should work with this version of Overseer, and hopefully this 3DRipperDX tool should then be able to make an OBJ export from the Overseer display.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe give a try to :
http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/3DRipperDX.htm

As Ogre can work with D3D , it should work with this version of Overseer, and hopefully this 3DRipperDX tool should then be able to make an OBJ export from the Overseer display.

Genius!  :D

I've just been messing with this for a bit. Make sure you run 3DRipperDX as administrator, or Overseer will crash with "not enough video memory". Keep your X, Y, and Z block draw distances as low as possible to prevent running out of memory while you're capturing the frame. And be very careful how you're pointing your camera -- apparently models created by 3DRipperDX have skew according to your viewing angle, so try to keep your camera orthogonal to what you want to be least warped (it's possible this might be less of a problem with .3dr import into 3DS max).

I was capturing OBJ files for importing into Blender. The Blender import included the skybox, and had each page as a separate mesh -- so I deleted the skybox, and joined all the pages into one mesh. I edited this giant mesh and removed all duplicate vertices (which killed a LOT). Then, I exported to STL.

Because the seams between rendered pages (what we've captured) and unrendered pages aren't manifold, the STL file needs to be repaired before slicing. I used netfabb-basic to rotate, scale, and fix up my STL. The automatic repair appeared to totally solve all the manifold issues without any input from me.

Here's the STL displayed in netfabb after repairing:

And here's the end result of it all -- Slic3r's output from that repaired STL displayed in Repetier-Host:

It's got skew because my camera alignment wasn't perfect, and I'd need to play with the model a bit to get the ground to actually show up. (And besides, the fort I chose for testing isn't exactly easily printable anyways, heh). As a proof of concept, though, it certainly seems feasible!  :D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 01:45:53 am by thewonderidiot »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

Yesss!!!

It works!  I'll be doing this next week, when I can take a day off and not die in exams shortly afterwards. 

And don't worry, my forts tend more towards 'mountain with a small hole in the side' than 'huge unprintable mushroom :D
 Donations here.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile

@thewonderidiot: glad to see you back around and fiddling with this project.
At last, she is done.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll say!  I've still been using Overseer for this and that - I don't know of a visualizer that renders the DF world in 1st person other than this one.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

So people can 3D print DF maps now? Anyone wants to play a boardgame called Boatmurdered?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

Boatmurdered was before DF went 3D!  I am currently looking for someone to make me a roomcarnage stl though, since the software isn't working for me.
 Donations here.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Boatmurdered was before DF went 3D!  I am currently looking for someone to make me a roomcarnage stl though, since the software isn't working for me.

Gimme a day or two, and I'll get one to you. Or rather, I'll probably give you the raw mesh, and let you repair, crop, and modify (read: make-printable-ify) it as you want  ;D

Is there a particular time period you want the mesh from? I've got loads of Roomcarnage maps since I've been taking pictures for ZGS, heheh.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

A recent one would be cool - I was thinking it would be awesome to just print the above-normal-level bits, meaning the volcano slopes and new obsidian plateaus.  Anything would work though!
 Donations here.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since I'm already taking Roomcarnage screenshots tonight, I figured I'd go ahead and give this a quick shot: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9322

I already killed off the skybox and underground plants, joined all of the pages and removed duplicate vertices. I also applied some horizontal and vertical scaling to try to restore the correct aspect ratios, but you might still need to further fine tune that and correct any skew.  ;)

The ripper crashed when I tried to do the whole map the first time, so this is a smaller piece -- if you'd like, I can probably fine tune the page sizes and try to fit the whole thing in (but it sounds like this might be okay for now).

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile

So, uh, if you guys actually do print Roomcarnage, could I pay one of you to mail me a copy of it?
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

Sure, for $10 (time, materials) plus postage from Australia (which is expensive, sadly).
 Donations here.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile

We'll work something out. I don't have a 3D printer, but I might be able to find one to use... this is pretty cool!
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53