Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Why are elves tree lovers?  (Read 10461 times)

cameron1124

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why are elves tree lovers?
« on: August 09, 2010, 04:33:54 pm »

when they themselves have everything made out of either trees or plants?

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why are elves tree lovers?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 04:40:02 pm »

They summon them. Elves in medieval fantasy (wood elves, at least) live in the forest, and some tales/interpretation suggest they will to defend it at all costs. In most tales (and most fantasy games), elves use iron equipment as to not cut trees down. DF elves, however, have been suggested to "summon" the wood that they use. The reasoning is that elves will not cut trees down, and they have a lot of wood (a full set of wooden armor for each elf, and there are more elves than their are roads), leads many people to believe they use a hidden "magic" to create the wood.

Of course, you could always just say the wood is made by editing a few bytes in the computer's memory, and elves have learned to memory-hack DF...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 06:11:11 pm »

They sing the wood from the trees in an elaborate ritual every other full moon.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 06:54:59 pm »

With their breeding habits it would surely be more like bi-fortnightly.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 07:12:37 pm »

That's like asking why Dwarves love booze...
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

terminal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 07:17:07 pm »

I heard that they use their elvish treeherding arts to grow the wood into the shapes that they want and then harvest it after it dies naturally.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 07:21:41 pm »

Because the Elves are morally myopic, hypocritical, self-righteous, cannibalistic, slaver, hippy bastards.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 07:32:32 pm »

I imagine they use wood that has been culled in a "humane" way from trees that have excess or have recently died.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 07:35:13 pm »

Because they are not only protectors and guardians of the forest; they are also part of the natural ecological system.

Trees die naturally. Trees fall. Twigs and other items gather up in huge amounts. The elves do not spoil anything, they see to it that fallen beasts are consumed and fallen trees are put to good use. Yet they don't disrupt the balance of other scavangers in the ecosystem because they are so gentle and noble in their work of the forest. The life of an elf is spent tipping on this thin, proper line of balance of harmony.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 07:49:15 pm »

It's wraithbone style. Man, I wish that one (which is technically already canon) was implemented in-game already.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 08:23:42 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's stated that all plant products the elves used are grown "humanely", whatever that means to plants. There's some special elf-kosher way of going about it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 08:37:04 pm »

Because they are not only protectors and guardians of the forest; they are also part of the natural ecological system.

Trees die naturally. Trees fall. Twigs and other items gather up in huge amounts. The elves do not spoil anything, they see to it that fallen beasts are consumed and fallen trees are put to good use. Yet they don't disrupt the balance of other scavangers in the ecosystem because they are so gentle and noble in their work of the forest. The life of an elf is spent tipping on this thin, proper line of balance of harmony.

Which sounds all well and good, until you recognize that even sentient creatures have a place in the cycle of life and death.

Honestly, after watching Avatar, I could not get over how similar the Pandorans were to the stereotypical "wood" elf that we see in DF.  (Including the crying over having to kill wild animals that were attacking people.)

Anyway, I'd say that trees are not like animals.

Consider naval oranges: They are oranges that, thanks to a mutation, do not grow seeds.  The only way to make more naval orange trees is to cut off a limb, plant it in the ground, and wait for it to turn into a new tree.  Naval orange trees do not breed in any way other than by "cloning" them through snippets of previous naval orange trees.  All naval orange trees are just clones of the original mutant, and have never changed (outside of potential mutations that occured within a living tree) since the first one was discovered.

Now then, as for how elves use this, consider this:

However, if elf-towns just spawned unbroken wooden houses with, I dunno, maybe some bushes (maybe trees or wooden protrusions for branches) hanging off into space for leaves, you could say they're not natural trees, and shaped that way the same way elves can somehow reach into a tree and harmlessly pull out wood from it.

EDIT: Sort-of like this: http://www.popsci.com/arbona/article/2006-11/grow-your-second-home

Basically, elves just manipulate trees into growing whatever they want, and then pull it out of the tree in a way that "does not hurt the tree".  The "not hurting it" part seems initially impossible, but the only living part of a tree is the outer ring, the trunk is basically just dead wood.  If you could prevent the growth of the outer ring in a section of the tree trunk after it has grown to the shape you want, you would not be harming the tree while exposing a dead piece of it that you could remove...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 08:40:17 pm »

According to the Eragon series, the Elves use their language to ask the trees into the shapes they need. I imagine this translates to the Elves torture the trees into warped echoes of their former selves. The Elves then chop down the entire tree, just to get at the single wooden earing.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 09:23:43 pm »

Wait. Elves might twist trees into mockeries of their former selves. Forgotten Beasts and Clowns are generaly "X twisted into human form". Then...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 11:11:27 pm »

According to the Eragon series, the Elves use their language to ask the trees into the shapes they need. I imagine this translates to the Elves torture the trees into warped echoes of their former selves. The Elves then chop down the entire tree, just to get at the single wooden earing.

According to Eragon, it's oaky to be a selfish sociopath so long as you maintain the privilege of being the designated protagonist and Author Avatar.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."
Pages: [1] 2 3