Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: .12 military training - science and pointy things  (Read 26270 times)

sinister agent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Lonely as a Mushroom Cloud
Re: .12 military training - science and pointy things
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2010, 08:02:10 pm »

Your military must learn to endure hardship!

That reminds me.  Why are most of my dwarves 'getting used to tragedy'?  There've been about five deaths in three years, and the only other bad thing to happen was a miner who miscarried.  And nobody actually liked her.  Everyone else has been ecstatic for 80% of the time, and content at worst.  What gives?

They get it if they see death of any creature, not just dwarves. If you butcher animals in plain view, or kill goblins while everyone watches from the battlements, they'll get it just the same as if their best buddies died every few minutes.

Ahh, thanks.  That must be it, then.  I've been having quite regular wildlife incursions from below, followed by quite regular gory explosions as something sets off a trap.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2010, 08:12:12 pm »

What about training doctors?  Is there a way to tweak this so we can actually prevent our doctor's skills from rusting out?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Redem

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2010, 08:44:24 pm »

Training doctors? Hm, send unarmoured nobles and assorted useless people into the training room and see how it goes. A nice steady stream of practice material, perhaps.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2010, 09:12:35 pm »

I don't know why weapon skill increases, but it does!

Maybe they can parry them with their swords, causing skill gain? 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2010, 09:28:19 pm »

I am setting one of these up in my current fort. Military in a range of armor from iron to *NICE*. Excellent idea.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2010, 09:30:17 pm »

Definitely time consuming to link up each spike to the lever, but it works well. Skills going up, only one injury (a fractured finger) so far. Plus some cats, but that doesn't really count.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2010, 07:08:37 am »

Slight update and word to the wise: started noticing some severe injuries. After checking a combat log, I realized that one of the wooden training spears was, in fact, a menacing bronze spike. Steps have been taken to rectify the issue.

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2010, 07:20:10 am »

Although time consuming to set up, this training system is bar none, the best way to train your dwarfs. In less then a year I had everyone of my militery dwarfs legendary in fighter and adept or better in weapon, armor, and shield skills and now they eat ambushes for breakfast  (although I have yet to get a siege) and forgotten beasts are realativly easy so long as they dont have some sort of paralyzing dust breath or something that just seems unbalanced.
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2010, 09:41:34 am »

Just trying to hold onto a sword while you dodge giant wooden spikes that are trying to impale you will make you better at handling the sword.

Please don't change this spikey-floor training FEATURE Toady. The mental image of a training room that really tries to kill everyone is fantastic.

sjaakwortel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2010, 01:30:23 pm »

its kinda realistic, you see all those gladiators training agains giant wooden spinning things. Those are way more dangerous than wooden training spears
Quote from: Greep on May 08, 2010, 07:55:20 pm
do dwarves move any slower when using the stairs?
Compared to falling? Yes.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2010, 01:50:23 pm »

If you lock them in, will they learn to avoid spears as they sleep/eat  :o?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2010, 02:07:45 pm »

No, but I bet you'd get a bunch of "Cancels Eat: Interrupted..." and "Cancels Rest: Interrupted" spam.

Laiska

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2010, 03:47:08 pm »

Verifying the 1st post, acci... purposefully made a room full of wooden menacing spikes and a lever. wooden training spears are the way to go unless you want your doctors to get extra busy.

"Thats a wooden menacing spike. It menaces of death and broken limbs, is covered in vomit and dwarven blood and can easily break that bronze armor of yours when you get crushed between it and the ceiling. oh, i dont know why we built them here, but hey, here's a wooden shield, take care!" UristMc Expedition Leader, 1st year of the fortress of Bad training experience.
This is a stack of 21 well-prepared creeping eye intestines roast. The ingredients are well-minced prepared creeping eye heart, minced creeping eye meat, minced creeping eye meat and minced prepared creeping eye intestines.

... Could i have some wine with that?

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2010, 11:55:40 pm »

They do gain skill if they fall asleep on duty. This only happens if your safety margin of dwarves that can be off-duty per squad is already filled, so you hopefully won't see it often.
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2010, 10:13:41 am »

I have a single tile surrounded with walls and closed door with a menacing trap in it. 10 spikes, no space to dodge - the fastest way to make dwarf get his legendary+5 shield skill and never worry about him being even SCTRACHED by goblins (10 at the same time  :P)
Though getting him stand on this very tile is a single cons in this system. They just station on the tile you ordered.
Have a 4 tile room with 4 spike traps connected to levers. Increases dodging skill fast like hell.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7