Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: .12 military training - science and pointy things  (Read 26268 times)

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: .12 military training - science and pointy things
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2010, 12:43:33 pm »

Here's an idea with regards to pets and children... Set up a one way door to keep them out. Make a pressure plate followed by a channeled tile with a floor hatch on it. Set the pressure plate to 1,000 minimum weight and ~40,000 maximum weight and make sure to enable "citizens trigger". According to the wiki, dwarven children weight roughly 15,000, cats weigh 2,000, dogs weigh 30,000 and adult dwarves weigh roughly 60,000. Therefore, adult dwarves will pass over just fine, but dogs, cats and children will trigger the hatch to raise, preventing them from entering the room.

In game, humans show as 7000, dwarves and elves 6000, so the wiki is wrong/out of date. It can't be the article is out of date, because it says right at the top of the article that it is current. So it must be current. I wonder if the website maintainer feels a pang of guilt every time he updates that box, or if he just laughs at all those fools who read his wiki, or if he curses under his breath at all those rotten wiki article authors who don't obey the rules.

The maximum weight setting on pressure plates won't go below 10000 (v.31.12), so it isn't possible to make a pressure plate that adult dwarves can walk across, with citizens on.

Making the maximum go all the way down to 1000 would make a good suggestion. So: Suggestion added.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 03:41:19 pm by AngleWyrm »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2010, 07:50:18 pm »

Here's an idea with regards to pets and children... Set up a one way door to keep them out. Make a pressure plate followed by a channeled tile with a floor hatch on it. Set the pressure plate to 1,000 minimum weight and ~40,000 maximum weight and make sure to enable "citizens trigger". According to the wiki, dwarven children weight roughly 15,000, cats weigh 2,000, dogs weigh 30,000 and adult dwarves weigh roughly 60,000. Therefore, adult dwarves will pass over just fine, but dogs, cats and children will trigger the hatch to raise, preventing them from entering the room.

In game, humans show as 7000, dwarves and elves 6000, so the wiki is wrong/out of date. It can't be the article is out of date, because it says right at the top of the article that it is current. So it must be current. I wonder if the website maintainer feels a pang of guilt every time he updates that box, or if he just laughs at all those fools who read his wiki, or if he curses under his breath at all those rotten wiki article authors who don't obey the rules.

The maximum weight setting on pressure plates won't go below 10000 (v.31.12), so it isn't possible to make a pressure plate that adult dwarves can walk across, with citizens on.

Making the maximum go all the way down to 1000 would make a good suggestion. So: Suggestion added.

Dwarves weigh 60,000 in the raws, and humans 70,000. I haven't figured out how to make the game display the weights of creatures. Where do the 6,000 and 7,000 figures you cite come from?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2010, 05:50:03 am »

I'm all for this training method simply for the mental image it instills :D However, it might be in need of a slight training-speed nerf. It seems to go WAY too fast to get to legendary. However, I can't see how to do that without making normal training completely and utterly useless by comparison :/

Dwarfnorris101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2010, 01:52:02 pm »

this is awesome, and i really want to use this in my fort now, though can someone outline what is all involved to use this to work?

get a room 5x5 per say, completely fill it with spike traps of x10 wooden training spears? then connect this to a lever that just has a dorf pulling it repeatedly?

is the room set up as a training area? or do you just have them as a squad move in there?

Ullallulloo

• Bay Watcher
  • My paperclip's name is Thomasalexandrenite.
    • View Profile
    • Ullallulloo's Blog
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2010, 02:17:30 pm »

this is awesome, and i really want to use this in my fort now, though can someone outline what is all involved to use this to work?

get a room 5x5 per say, completely fill it with spike traps of x10 wooden training spears? then connect this to a lever that just has a dorf pulling it repeatedly?

is the room set up as a training area? or do you just have them as a squad move in there?
I guess either one would work, but you might as well get all the nice benefits of normal training at the same time.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2010, 02:43:31 pm »

I have the danger room also be the training barracks. That way they can spar while being poked.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2010, 08:18:26 am »

Any way to reliably ensure that all dwarves are wearing all equipment assigned to them? Seems about half of the dwarves actually wear all of their gear. The other half are missing one gauntlet or one boot. The spears end up horribly mangling them such that the dwarf ends up dead of infection.

So far I've just been using it to weed out the unsuitable dwarves. Dwarves too dumb to put on their armor are replaced through natural selection.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2010, 09:42:33 am »

My uncle almost died because a fungus infection on his foot poisoned his blood. I still find the idea of dwarves walking into a danger room with only one boot on and afterwards dying because of it hilarious.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2010, 10:06:56 am »

In game, humans show as 7000, dwarves and elves 6000, so the wiki is wrong/out of date.
Dwarves weigh 60,000 in the raws, and humans 70,000. I haven't figured out how to make the game display the weights of creatures. Where do the 6,000 and 7,000 figures you cite come from?

In-game, create a pressure plate, and the minimum and maximum allowable weight will be displayed for adjustment. As you adjust them, a list of representative creatures of that weight appear beneath the weight adjustments.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2010, 10:08:28 am »

In game, humans show as 7000, dwarves and elves 6000, so the wiki is wrong/out of date.

In-game, create a pressure plate, and the minimum and maximum allowable weight will be displayed for adjustment. As you adjust them, a list of representative creatures of that weight appear beneath the weight adjustments.

That's a result of the game not having enough character space for the full weight.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2010, 10:59:22 am »

Just to mention, you don't need to make danger rooms very large. a 3x2 room with 15 spears, (3 on each) still seems to train up a squad of ten dwarves pretty quickly.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2010, 11:13:06 am »

That's a result of the game not having enough character space for the full weight.

Notice on the left side dwarves and elves, and on the right side cows and unicorns:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 11:19:29 am by AngleWyrm »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2010, 04:12:36 pm »

How well do war elephants and grizzlies fare in danger rooms?  I'm hoping with their size, the wooden training spears don't bust them up too bad.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 04:49:31 pm by VerdantSF »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2010, 08:05:30 pm »

OMG!  I wonder how effective Great Baracuunicorns would be as war animals?!  :o   :P 
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2010, 08:54:35 pm »

OMG!  I wonder how effective Great Baracuunicorns would be as war animals?!  :o   :P

I dunno. Maybe you should add them into your game and see?  ;D

CREATURE:GREAT_BARACUUNICORN:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:00:53 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]