Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kindom mode  (Read 1505 times)

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Kindom mode
« on: August 10, 2010, 01:59:42 pm »

Currently we have a great world generations which will generate tousands of years of history complete with a map that's huge. However after that's it's not shown again. There are plans for expanding this system and I think we should add a kingdom mode.

This is a new game mode that allows the player to control his or her own civilization. Think about it how cool would it be if we could control our own civilization. This could make a unique game where most things are done automatically (the game already does most things automaticaly).

Now the main thing we need to discuss is what players should/shouldn't control.
1 armies
1.1 What the armies get equipt with.
1.2 Where armies will attack.
1.3 Leading armies in the battle.
1.4 How the armies are going to get supplies.

2 economy 
2.1 Tax rate
2.2 Placement of new settlements.
2.3 Production of goods.
2.4 Trade routes.
2.5 Construction of city improvement temples churges ext.

3 diplomacy
3.1 War
3.2 Trade agreements
3.3 Gifts

4 Effects on base of culture.
4.1 Changing ethics.
4.2 Scientific advance.
4.3 Appointment of important figures (noble).

This seems to be most of the things that need to be discussed I will wait to post my opionion on them until a few others have posted about them.

If this is a succes I will add it to the ethernal vote.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Kindom mode
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 02:07:22 pm »

This has been in the dev goals for forever:

# Core28, CONTROL OF TERRITORY AND EXTERNAL LOCATIONS, (Future): As your fortress expands into a barony, county and duchy, these words should attain some meaning with regards to the surrounding lands. Additional outposts/villages/work camps might be founded under your control, but out of the playable view, providing local trade and a further population pool for warfare and other endeavors. The scope is undecided, but this might include typical mountainside outposts, dwarf/human/mixed villages nearby in other biomes, or deeper sites that you found in tunnels that you carve via the next core item. Related to Core29 and Bloat172.

# Core30, KINGDOM, (Future): If you manage to get the monarch of the dwarves to arrive, you should obtain at least indirect control over the entire corresponding dwarven civilization. This includes the movement of all dwarven armies on the map and the ability to make the most important diplomatic decisions. Requires Core28.

It's also had several Suggestions threads, including one with the same title as this one:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=28471.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5531.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24453.0

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 02:10:09 pm »

"Kingdom Mode" is already #21 on the Eternal Suggestions, and has its own thread.

It's also kind of odd to start mentioning this now, as we're actually getting hints that we will actually be able to control much of this stuff from Fortress Mode, as well, when we get control over the surrounding lands, and can send armies out against enemy strongholds.

edit: enh, kinda ninja'd but whatever.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

mLegion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 05:27:49 pm »

I hope we get the ability to abandon forts, or rather stop playing forts without them dieing. So any new forts made in the same world can use your previous one as a parent civ.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 08:33:45 pm »

I hope we get the ability to abandon forts, or rather stop playing forts without them dieing. So any new forts made in the same world can use your previous one as a parent civ.

This has also been suggested, discussed, and addressed by Toady at length.   It's a far-away goal, more than a soon-ish one.