Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: This game needs Thermite.  (Read 7440 times)

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This game needs Thermite.
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 05:48:54 pm »

But thermite itself isn't illegal, he could do demonstrations...

On topic: Thermite is made using pretty much rust and commonly aluminum. so possibly have it crafted?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite

Would require two extracts, and the coding for rusting.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 06:24:46 pm »

But thermite itself isn't illegal, he could do demonstrations...

On topic: Thermite is made using pretty much rust and commonly aluminum. so possibly have it crafted?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite

Would require two extracts, and the coding for rusting.
You know it would be worth it. It is a very dwarfy substance. Hell we should do black powder while we're at it... more explodey at lower temperature.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 06:29:26 pm »

No good. With thermite, why would you need black powder? Black powder was what ended the glorious middle ages. I can easily see this game going down hill from black powder. Mod it in if you want, but not in vanilla. Therminte, I'm all for.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 06:54:53 pm »

No good. With thermite, why would you need black powder? Black powder was what ended the glorious middle ages. I can easily see this game going down hill from black powder. Mod it in if you want, but not in vanilla. Therminte, I'm all for.
Alright. but as a thought Thermite requires a high tempature to ignite. How would one create a defense with it...

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 07:00:50 pm »

Couldn't the dwarves dump lye on invaders, or boiling water? Also there's Greek Fire, which dates back to antiquity.

There are records of cannons in use in Europe as early as 1250, and handgunners showing up 100-150 years later.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 07:01:35 pm »

Just think of what could happen with something that can melt through solid rock, and can be handled by dwarves.

We have this, it's called a "pick".

The problem with thermite is that it requires aluminum.  You know, the metal that's basically supposed to be rarer than adamantine.  The reason why thermite wasn't used in the middle ages was simply because aluminum was far too rare and far too valuable to use for something like that. 

(Likewise, platinum is a wonderful conducter of electricity... but you're never going to use it for wiring because it's about a thousand times more expensive than copper, which is "good enough" at conducting electricity.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 07:19:24 pm »

What else would you do with it? I'M tempted to find a way to mod it in now, and I hate modding. Anyways, It would be another thing to look for in a perfect site. Where does that put the list? Volcano, sand, flux, max trees, max plants, temperate, river, aluminum, iron, coal. Did I miss any thing? Look, the point is, reward for picking the right spot, or challenge for picking a spot without.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 07:58:42 pm »

Just think of what could happen with something that can melt through solid rock, and can be handled by dwarves.

The problem with thermite is that it requires aluminum.  You know, the metal that's basically supposed to be rarer than adamantine.  The reason why thermite wasn't used in the middle ages was simply because aluminum was far too rare and far too valuable to use for something like that. 

(Likewise, platinum is a wonderful conducter of electricity... but you're never going to use it for wiring because it's about a thousand times more expensive than copper, which is "good enough" at conducting electricity.)
Thermite (well, the aluminum) burns at around 3000K, IIRC (aluminum's boiling point is 2,519 °C).  The magnesium is included in the mix to provide a substance that burns hot enough to ignite the aluminum, but has a low enough ignition point that flint and steel can light it.

As for why aluminum was so expensive, its because that until the electrolytic methods were discovered (for getting aluminum from bauxite and alumina) you could only extract a small amount, and far from all of it, from the ores. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_smelting is you guys want to read up on it.]
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 08:03:54 pm »

Well you don't have to use aluminum... just it's what burns the best...

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 08:07:05 pm »

yes, aluminum used to be very expensive, kings preferred aluminum crowns over gold ones...

Yes but your all-mighty "pick" isn't on fire is it? nor is it available for militaristic purposes, again...
dumping the powder on intruders, them wondering what it's all about, and lighting them on fire, only for them to melt completely...
COMPLETE devastation, and the handler dwarf will most likely melt along with them...

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 08:36:18 pm »

I've wondered what would happen if you modified a sandblaster to expel and then light thermite. It could be the ultimate flamethrower. but I just right this second realized that it doesn't need oxygen to burn and would probably run back up the barrel and melt you.

Flamethrowers.... Mmmmhhmmm, that would be nice. Yeah.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 09:01:53 pm »

And if you pay attention to the mythbusters you'll notice the comment "You never want to mix Blur with Blur;" there is alot that they don't want to tell 12 yearolds on the topic of fire bombs.

Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 09:05:55 pm »

And if you pay attention to the mythbusters you'll notice the comment "You never want to mix Blur with Blur;" there is alot that they don't want to tell 12 yearolds on the topic of fire bombs.
That's what google is for.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 09:23:47 pm »

I'd prefer naphtha, thermite is harder to make a incinerates things instead of burning them.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2010, 09:30:28 pm »

I'd prefer naphtha, thermite is harder to make a incinerates things instead of burning them.
Naphtha filled dumping pit?

While on the subject of chemicals how about chloroform? Tis produced by seaweed and we could possibly mod a mist sprayer to spray it on invaders, then we just loot the bodies, and dump them into the naphtha filled pit.
Pages: 1 [2] 3