Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How important is writing to you?

I'd like to become a professional writer in the next decade.
- 7 (29.2%)
Less than videogames.
- 6 (25%)
I am a professional writer.
- 3 (12.5%)
More than my health.
- 2 (8.3%)
I'm not sure.
- 5 (20.8%)
More than videogames.
- 0 (0%)
Not at all.
- 1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: April 23, 2012, 11:42:36 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38

Author Topic: Bay12 Writers Guild  (Read 56097 times)

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
Bay12 Writers Guild
« on: August 11, 2010, 04:58:01 am »

Writing Prompt Contest

<...>One of the things I credit the most with improving my writing is the writing prompt--a word or phrase someone else comes up with, and about which you write a few hundred words over the course of 15 or 20 minutes. It's a great way to practice, since it gets you outside your comfort zone, and it would give this thread more of a purpose beyond just advertising.

Also, it's much, much easier, in my experience, to accept negative criticism on something you've banged out in 20 minutes, as opposed to something you've poured your soul into, and it's an important step to realize that the critics aren't always wrong.<...>

I'd suggest the following as more-like-guidelines:
1. Keep responses to about 500-750 words.
2. Don't agonize over them. Hammer out something quick; you can always refine it and expand it later.
3. Don't be afraid to tell other people which parts you don't like. We have rule #2 so that we can appreciate bluntness in criticism.

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HISTORY OF BAY12 WRITERS GUILD! ANYONE CAN PARTICIPATE! A WRITING COMPETION! A SINGLE PHRASE! 500 WORDS TO VICTORY!

Current Prompt: N/A. Post your suggestions in the thread.

So, this is the idea:

In the view of lack of interest to writing threads, but quite constant influx of writing itself, I think it'd be useful to make one big consolidated thread for it, to save space  ;)

Main goal here is to bring more attention to writing efforts of Bay12 forumites. To achieve it, first I'm going to make a neat little post to collect the stories in via links. But that's not going to do much, is it? Well, I believe that for pleasant viewing the stories are going to need something to advertise them. I propose several options: a synopsis, a meaningful quote from the work, or praise from the critics, if we get there - a blurb, in short. That I'm going to place as a quote next to the link to the story. I feel it's a good way to attract readers. If there are a lot of participants, I may organize the stories by genres, or catalog them alphabetically, although that's a lot of effort, so that readers can find what they like easier.

Now, collecting stories is good, but we can do more. Aspiring writers and writers insecure about their works are welcome here if they want criticism. You see, it's this kind of guild, more like a club. There's a library to collect past works, then there is a place for apprentices to learn the craft, and then there is a place where writers gather to discuss their ongoing works. If anyone has a favourite piece on the forums that they think deserves more notice, submit it here.

So, that's the lofty goals. There is space for more, but it's enough for now.

If you write a blurb for a story that you like, or have submitted, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Since October 6, 2010, we're qualified to criticise your musical works!

BLURB TIPS

First, it shouldn't be generic. But you kind of want to make it sound big, so there are going to be "generic" words. Everyone is unique, so there must be something unique about what they've written. Try finding it and incorporating it into the blurb.

Second, if it's long genre, like a novel, or serial fiction, try not to spoil the story. Don't write what it's about, but rather describe the set-up, with little licks to lead the reader into the middle.

It could be useful to add from which authors you've drawn influence, if you have, so that the reader, if otherwise not touched by the blurb, may be attracted by the expected style.

"The Good Karma Feedback Check List:
  • Do it often; develop a support system with peers you respect.
  • Don't promise to read a script and give feedback if you really don't have time.
  • Do read the script promptly once you have it.
  • Do ask your friend what they want out of this read. You'd be surprised at the different answers. Tailor your notes to the needs and wants of the writer.
  • Do start on a positive note. If you can only think of one thing - stress it.
  • Don't throw out your own suggestions - this is not your script; you'll derail the creative process.
  • Do frame concerns in a "what if" question. (What if you tried this? What if you tried that? I wonder what would happen if this?)
  • Do understand what the writing is going for or trying to achieve.
  • Don't chide the writer for failing to execute the idea well; that's why you're reading it, ding-dong. If they thought it was perfect, they wouldn't ask.
  • Do limit your comments to things like: logic, characters, stakes, ticking clock, and pacing; don't go all McKee/Campbell on your friend. I feel the subplot doesn't connect to the inner need of the protagonist and this is not reflected thematically in the arc of the dynamic character who has reached statis but must find Euclydian balance before the elixir can motivate the shapeshifter. Very annoying.
  • Do write your notes down and summarize them.
  • Don't do page edits and correct typos unless requested. This is also muy annoying."

Continue reading at http://www.moviebytes.com/ContestDetail.cfm?StoryID=3912&ContestNumber=2258&NewsTab=TRUE

For everybody:

The Art Of Dramatic Writing: Its Basis in the Creative Interpretation of Human Motives by Lajos Egri

On Writing by Stephen King

How to Write A Damn Good Novel by James N. Frey

How to Write A Damn Good Novel, II by James N. Frey

For fantasy writers:

The Language Construction Kit

limyaael's Fantasy Rants Warning! Rant heavy! Naturally.

For sci-fi writers (maybe):

Fortean Times

Mysterious Britain & Ireland

For ambitious (novel) writers:

National Novel Writing Month

Storybook - Open Source Novel Writing Software for Novelists, Authors and Creative Writers

yWriter5 - Free novel writing software to help you write a book Editor's note: Proceed with caution. I managed to freeze my system in an attempt to bring this program and Mono, installed on my computer, to a common denominator.

Random:

The Pathology Guy - everything your private investigators and police officers need to know about the dead.

Editor's note on 24th of March 2012: Removed links that you ought to be lazy to not find yourself if you search the Internet
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 01:29:20 am by Supermikhail »

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
The Library
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 04:58:32 am »

THE LIBRARY

« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 01:18:30 pm by Supermikhail »

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
Ongoing Works
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 05:46:13 am »

ONGOING (?) WORKS

Also, if some author sees his or her story in the post above and doesn't remember ever submitting it, don't be cross with me. I believe I'm doing it for the common good, but if you disagree, please speak up.

Editor's note on 24th of March 2012: It would be nice to verify the statuses but also require a lot of effort, so the works in this section should be considered definitely not finished, but not counted on to ever be completed.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 01:43:00 am by Supermikhail »

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Writers Guild
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 05:53:13 am »

Hey, it's alright.

Actually, now that you've brought it up, I'll probably fix a sentence here and there.
I'll contact you.

Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 09:05:24 am »

Thanks for setting this up, Supermikhail. Posting to follow, and hopefully in the near future I will submit something.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 10:06:00 am »

posting to follow. I'm working on something, I'll post it soon.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 10:21:14 am »

Posting to follow, and also to remark that I'll come up with a blurb for my work after I'm done with work for the day.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 05:16:09 pm »

I'm actually in the midst of completely reworking the story that is posted there. I've been through three revisions though so far, getting better each time. The only real issue with me posting new chapters here is that Google seems to keep a permanent record in their cache, and I would like to see it published once I'm finished. I probably wouldn't have posted as much as I did had I known.

I'm probably going to put the first chapter of my revised edition up once I've finished it, at least. You guys were pretty helpful the first time around, so it seems only fair. It's going to be in its first draft so its pacing hasn't been looked at at all, but other than that it sets up the whole first part of the novel.

I'm hoping to start writing one-shots and such when I have writers block on my main thingy. Might throw one of those up if I ever actually stop using my writer's block to procrastinate.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 05:17:53 pm »

I'm on and off writing a story in the community games and stories subforum. Link in my sig.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 05:49:21 pm »

This is a good idea-- makes me want to get back into writing a bit myself, actually. Perhaps I'll post something in a while.

Following, in the meantime.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 08:35:28 pm »

For indexing in the 'ongoing works' part:

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 01:27:17 am »

@Willfor: I think it's alright, actually, that it's only going to be the first chapter on the forums. I considered putting it in the OP that "people can't be expected to forever stay amateur writers and only post their works on the forums. Finally, and hopefully, they are going to publish something in print". But as long as it's been on the forums, it counts here, and when you publish your story, we can put a link to Amazon, or something, here.

@Fishbreath: Criticism to the submission.
        I kind of got lost on your page when I went to look from the original thread... And, "Lägraltvärld" means "Many Words" I assume. I think it would be better to link here instead. Edit: or here.
Also, in the end, everyone chooses his own blurb, and mine aren't perfect, and I'm probably going to put it in the OP, but I think it's better to work on the blurb a little. It seems to me too generic. Surely there is something that sets your work apart from the rest of the fantasy things about 20-years long desperate wars. With magic. ;) I'll read through it, being kind of an editor here (and yesterday I started liking it - meaning reading - until my brain hurt), and see what I'll be able to come up with. I'm not being bossy, but bad blurbs kind of defeat the purpose of the thread.

@Labs: I need a blurb. I don't really know which category it goes in, or at what kind of reader it is aimed, so I'm at a loss.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 04:52:28 am by Supermikhail »

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 06:58:41 am »

Posting mainly to follow.

Cheers for putting my bit up here, I'll continue with that later when I finish what I'm doing here. Or I might write something else. I'm like that. Heh.

I also posted a link in that thread to one of my older stories, told in a dwarf fortress setting - feel free to add that up here too, although I won't be updating that one anymore.
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 07:54:51 am »

@Fishbreath: Criticism to the submission.
<snip>

This is probably a better landing, yes: http://many-words.com/archives/

As for blurbs, well, I've admittedly always been absolutely terrible at them, or any kind of summarizing at all, for that matter--either I'm far too generic or I give away important parts of the story. None of my friends ask me what my book of the week is about, because my answer usually boils down to "well, you'll just have to read it yourself to find out". :P

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 08:36:43 am »

Oh, sorry.

Blurb:
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38