Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dark City MUD  (Read 3975 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Dark City MUD
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 10:58:04 am »

This could be pretty interesting, fancy adding me on Steam for a chat some time?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/lordcooper
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 05:40:17 pm »

This could be pretty interesting, fancy adding me on Steam for a chat some time?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/lordcooper

added you, im also always in the irc.darkmyst.org #darkcity

also an update, adding 2GB ram to my server today, should be done in an hour or so. The hopefully coffeemud install will proceed.
I got nothing

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 10:20:37 pm »

Just want to update those waiting, the server is now up and running, but not totally ready. I want to move the files to another directory to free up te public_html folder and then I want to get the MySQL databse going since its running on fakedb right now.
I got nothing

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 12:21:01 am »

oh gosh, im spamming almost.

I have new news, the server is up and running on my Pache server with mySQL database! Wow that was kinda tougher than most things I install but I got through it. Now I will setup an entrance for us builders.

forum is installed also: thedarkcity.co

shitty template, anyone wanna find me a good one? its phpBB3

I got nothing

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 12:24:14 am »

I have no idea about programming and not a clue about the setting, but I love MUDs and this sounds like a good theme for one!
I'd be glad to help. Probably. Maybe. Sadly I'm not familiar with the setting, as I've said, but maybe I could describe potplants or something. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 01:33:07 am »

I will be updating the world/setting info soon.

Jack and Mullet and the others who want to try and build some stuff, please  login and create a character. Let me know the name and I will give you permissions to do some stuff.

server: thedarkcity.co
port: 5555

notice that it is .co and NOT .com

I got nothing

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 11:57:35 am »

I have been working and thinking about this a lot lately after a productive IRC chat with MulletMaster and JackBread. We jammed out some interesting ideas that night and I have been mulling them over and refining them to fit into a whole as well as work within the parameters of the CoffeeMUD system with no Java code customization needed.

I have updated the first post with useful information, especially see the Dark City Setting Info spoiler for some new world flavor I wrote up. I put the server and forum info up top also for easy reference.

I continue to write more world documents and I will post these on the Dark City forum as well as make updates here if they are interesting enough to warrant a new posting.

Next up will be developing the races of this unique world. This is a fantasy setting and we talked about using the standard fantasy races such as humans, elves, dwarves, etc. But to make it interesting we had some great ideas about twisting them around a bit. There are some great story reasons why they would be different here and so telling the story of the races and defining them will heko add a lot of meat to the bones of this city as we go. My next update here will be the result of this writing.

I guess the next subject would be the faction present in the world. Since we intend for there to be lots and lots of faction interaction and conflict (in fact this is the major impetus of the plots in the world) we will want to have some very interesting factions available at the start that are already poised in cooperation or oposition with each other. The results of this writing section will then lead us into what it is players would be doing while playing and help us with the next part: quests.

I do intend to build while I write but I dont want to get ahead of myself and end up scrapping a built area because it doesnt fit some new direction of the world building. Once we get the factions in and the basic layout of the city, we can start putting in some scripted quests. The scripting learned here will help us along the next things to do: Breathing life into the world.

The scripting system available to use is so powerful that there are practically no limits to what we can do to breathe life into the world. While I do feel that nothing scripted will ever replace a GM that is in active possession of NPC's, a scripted world can only add to those dynamics. Here we can allow merchants to buy and sell goods s they travel back and forth between trade hubs, is an economic simulation possible?

I hope to keep the world not too big so we can focus on quality over quantity. I would rather a tight area be extremely vibrant and interesting over a sprawling and nearly empty world. In fact, how dense and interactive can we make it? I am rambling now, but I could almost imagine a world so dynamically scripted that it plays itself. Yeah i would never script that much but the idea sounds interesting in theory.
I got nothing

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 09:54:36 am »

Hey Y'all!

I updated the OP with the IRC chanel I am using. I ftryto stay in that channel as much as I can in case anyone wants to chat about the development of the MUD.

Currently I am working on quest scripting (as in learning it). The firs quest involves a small horde of undead which spawn once per MUD day (or maybe less) and begin to scour the streets of the main area (YES THE MAIN AREA!) and look for things to kill. It;s going well but they tend to kill each other so I am working on figuring out which flag to give them so they help each other instead of kill each other.

Then on to more complex quest areas and populating the city itself (and making it so that when the undead come out, the other NPC mobs go into hiding until its over.)
I got nothing

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 10:12:40 pm »

Been writing out some faction stuff. Ill post that below.

In regards to scripting, i now have a faction for the undead and they wont attack anyone that has a high rating  in that faction, including themselves. So now, players can choose the kill the undead who roam the streets or maybe they would want to approach this another way?

This is the kind of conflict I want any player to have to think about, what path will they take? What factions will they join and help? Decisions affect the experience in this mud.

Also, random areas are next. Need to get those going. I dont want anyone grinding in this mud, especially I dont want anything to be a given.

philosophy: SURVIVAL (its a bitch), HARDCORE (yes you know what I mean), RPI (I dont mean flowery poses, I mean goal oriented action).

here's the newest faction, BTW, players can be Guardians:

The Ancestor Dead & the Guardians

The Well of Souls has always been the receptacle for the dead of Dark City for as long as any records show going back countless generations.

The Temple of the Rock, which erupts from the very center of the Well of Souls, descends down into scores of layers of tombs and it is the primary place where the bodies of the dead from all of the Dark City have been laid to rest. All races are laid together within the temple and it's tombs, regardless of where and when they have died; families don't like to see their dead kin walking about. It is the temple that keeps them from rising, nobody knows why but any dead kept anywhere else will eventually rise and walk, seeking destruction and death for the living.

In the years of the rule of the Ashan Family, when the chambers below the temple were beginning to become too full to hold he dead which were a result of the Overland Wars, the dwarven engineers were sent down to expand the tombs into the rock below. As they worked their strange form of engineering, molding the crystalline walls into new chambers, they eventually pierced the seal of a large cavern. Within these depths were horrors that no mortal had ever seen before, abominations that twisted the minds and the very souls of the dwarven engineers.

For long years the Overland War continued and the dead piled up. The engineers kept their discovery secret, behind hidden portals that only they held the knowledge of passage, and continued to toil away in their expansion efforts. As time passed they began to change, subtly at first and then more radically. The first thing that anyone noticed was the high death rate of the dwarves who worked in the tombs below, and the throngs of young dwarves eager to get their turn at the dangerous work.

They became very secretive and it wasn't too long before everyone noticed they had been changed. A new clan had been founded among those who worked in the tombs, called the Guardians. Their members did not wear the usual work attire nor carry the tools of the engineers, they wore long and red and black robes covered with ornate mystical symbols. It wasn't long after that when they claimed full stewardship of the Temple of the Rock and the tombs below. Only the Guardians would handle the dead and only they would venture into the tombs below.

And so it has been for many generations,

MORE TO COME...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:57:08 pm by ductape »
I got nothing
Pages: 1 [2]