Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How important is writing to you?

I'd like to become a professional writer in the next decade.
- 7 (29.2%)
Less than videogames.
- 6 (25%)
I am a professional writer.
- 3 (12.5%)
More than my health.
- 2 (8.3%)
I'm not sure.
- 5 (20.8%)
More than videogames.
- 0 (0%)
Not at all.
- 1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: April 23, 2012, 11:42:36 pm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 38

Author Topic: Bay12 Writers Guild  (Read 56215 times)

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Writers Guild
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2010, 05:24:53 pm »

Oh damn, I've got NO idea what to write  >:(
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2010, 06:50:26 pm »

I almost have a finished work to link here, but unfortunately it's the story to go with a Mafia game.  Erm... I happen to think it's rather good, but you may disagree.  Anyway, I hope that counts, and I'll let you know when I'm done so you can take a look.

Meh.  Here it is.

I'll try to write something "real" at some point.

One problem. I don't know where to go after the second post, and links in "Flavour" don't help.

Eh, skip it, then.  It's kind of inextricably tied to the game itself, I suppose.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2010, 10:09:02 am »

Writing Prompt in 20 Minutes

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
*Warning - some very bad language (and I don't mean grammatical errors)

20 Minutes worth, not sure if I ever really got to the point, but I'm not sure if I ever do.

Both barrels, if you wouldn't mind.

Ta.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 02:43:07 pm by mendonca »

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2010, 12:33:24 pm »

That was simply brilliant, mendonca! And I woulnd't mind if you finished the story. I don't remember any stories by you here, besides in ScriptFrenzy, but maybe you're a professional writer and they're all in other copyright places. Anyway... what else to say? Brilliant. It flows, the language, albeit coarse, is spot-on. Very nice.

In other news, I'll just note that I'm a pretty slow thinker in everything, so even discounting some time for multiple interruptions and being a non-native to English, I barely managed to get to the half of proposed word number. I didn't clock it, but finally decided that for fairness' sake I should stop there.

It should have been about twice longer, I should probably now learn speed-typing-while-thinking, or try to exterminate the procrastinator inside. But enough of that crap. Any thoughts?

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2010, 02:42:16 pm »

Wow thanks Supermikhail, that means alot to me especially with your history of giving blunt criticism! (which I think is a good thing, by the way)

Maybe I am a professional writer - and if I am, I don't know it yet. I admit I'm trying to coax him out but writing short bits of competent prose does not a professional writer make! Yeah, sorry for the coarse language, a lack of imagination linked to a time limit plus the coarseness of the character brings that out I suppose. I'll put a warning on the previous post.

In terms of your writing I'll try and give some thoughts - but I am not a particular good critic i.e. I like everything (including what you have just written) but, some general feelings from a couple of read throughs:

The 'staccato' rhythm of the writing at the start distracts me a bit. A single read through and I don't neccesarily know what is happening, my brain doesn't 'latch on' to what is going on.

Maybe the writing is a touch flat ... the descriptions are almost unneccesary and the length you go to describe the motions and the actions of the man in the underground would perhaps be more effective in a 'high adrenaline' set-up, rather than a simple commute. Maybe if the scene you have written was 'set up' a bit differently, it would work a lot better.

But yeah, I like it. I'm not sure it is 'spot on', but given the nature of the challenge, I like it.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2010, 02:06:11 pm »

Looking back at my creation, I probably have been concentrating on screenwriting too much for my good, for I don't intend to give up just writing (I realize I did it like dialogue... and if you heard me read it, it would probably work ::))... Although I haven't been writing at all for a couple of weeks now, I wonder if it could have such an effect...

Or I just went completely into different field, that of quirks. And I'm not really good with them.

But it was a good exercise, and I would like to continue with it, maybe it'll help me write faster.

Now, as Wednesday creeps nearer, where I live, and brings to a close the pilot of the competition, I'd like to bring to the attention of anyone reading this a little... story from the archives, I guess, of the forums, dating back to March 05, 2009, a good half-year before I made my account here, and surprisingly on the first three pages of Creative Projects. So, this story is a little strange. I'll just blurb it below, without saying my own impressions, because I need an opinion of another in fear I might be biased.

Also, the thread for it has been locked, and the author hasn't been online since January, as far as I can tell... but I guess, in view of the disclaimer I put in the Ongoing Works section, adding it won't be a moral problem.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2010, 02:30:40 pm »

I don't intend on throwing my hat into the ring for this one, since I've got about 13,000 words worth of stuff for Many Words I need to type up in the next six days, but I will throw out some remarks on the two responses.

mendonca: It's executed very well, but you're right in that it doesn't really get where it seems to be going. It's a great example of why I love first person--getting into the heads of characters is much more natural with it.

Supermikhail: I disagree with what mendonca said about yours. I liked it quite a lot, and I thought the prose was pitch-perfect for the sort of story it was telling. It reminds me of the sort of stories that get told when I have lunch with my friends, and I love the punchline.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2010, 04:50:12 am »

I've written an ending to the start of the short story I had begun, partly for kicks but mainly because Supermikhail requested that I did :-

I've tweaked it a bit at the start, interested to know if anybody wants to offer any thoughts.

Looking at that 'Splendiferous' piece of writing, it is a shame that writing does get such short shrift on these forums, from reading the start it seems very accomplished. I struggle, admittedly, reading directly from the screen and maintaining concentration (which is possibly a reason to take any criticism I might offer with a certain pinch of salt), but the first few paragraphs are really very good.

I know I couldn't have produced anything approaching that when I was 16. Oh well, thanks for bringing it up, I will definitely read that through to the end. I'll probably print it out though first.

E: Title, some errors - Thanks Supermikhail ...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 05:52:50 am by mendonca »

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2010, 05:37:15 am »

@mendonca: Only I don't find much meaning with "I never took the important lessons to heart..." paragraph, and in the one before last one I think you meant "I don't think I have ever had..." Otherwise, very... I don't think "funny" is the right word, you don't seem to be aiming at simple laughs, but entertaining, and informational. Have you... what do you think about the name "Firecracker"? ::)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2010, 01:02:17 pm »

Can you hear their voices?
Calling out from nowhere.
Suddenly you hear noises,
And they're suddenly there.

At first you don't care,
Because its just gibberish.
Its not like they're really there,
You so wish.

Then they start making sense,
Carrying some meaning.
And then you feel tense,
As if you're falling.

They first came for my wife,
Such a feeling of dread.
The love of my life,
Found torn to shreds.

As I drank away the horror,
Using her favorite gin.
I suddenly fell in terror,
They had taken my kin.

"Why is this happening?" - my children ask,
Poor things, not ready for what comes next.
Who could have done such a task?
You ask as you read this text.

And then, they took them as well,
I felt feverish, was it flu?
I wish I had said farewell,
For they had taken me too.

It was already too late,
As now I was one of them.
And after that date,
I must others to this fate condemn.

It all started with those letters,
What an unfortunate choice.
They brought terror from beyond the ether,
Say now, friend, can you hear my voice?

Lotsa bad rhymes, this is why I don't do poetry.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 01:04:17 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Urist McNewb

• Bay Watcher
  • Damned zombies! You will be CULLED!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2010, 01:04:47 pm »

I don't know if this is the spot, buti'll post. This is my first try at a story :P
And so, the world that had turned due to complex space formula, started to turn on simply the tears of gamers, remember to QQ, it fuels us!

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2010, 02:27:46 pm »

And suddenly we have two little gems in this little thread. And quite at the right moment, for me. Just watched some X-files, and first Dakk's poem, really resonating, then Chris "Urist McNewb"'s story, where I couldn't imagine anyone but David Duchovni as the lead, so to say.

Well, now my impressions.

@Dakk: it's an interesting topic, what was your inspiration? At first I thought to say "My condolences", but then looked at your profile, and I assume it's not a real life experience. Interestingly, I just had a mouse let out its last breath in the palm of my hand, and this poem came as a rare and nice coincidence.

About the rhyming I can't say anything negative. It clocked perfectly for me. There are no rhymes jarring to the ear, what's more I don't think the point of your work is rhymes like in some pieces I know, I think it's how it felt appropriate to convey the content this way. Am I right?

@Urist McNewb: First, you've asked about spelling, and I've got one thing to bring to your attention -
People had been flocking to the city for years now, but he had just begun to realize the extent of it, people were literally everywhere you looked.
And that's the only thing, and I don't know of any grammar nazis in this thread.

About the content. Well, there is not much to say, it's kind of flawless. The style, the pacing, the atmosphere, all very good, quite surprising for someone's first attempt. Keep writing.
Also, I've read many first person stories recently, and it's a nice change to have something in third person.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2010, 02:36:02 pm »

I don't think he 'wondered the streets' :)
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Urist McNewb

• Bay Watcher
  • Damned zombies! You will be CULLED!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2010, 02:37:02 pm »

Thanks, it was nice to read the feedback, i'll probably try another story tomorrow, as i'm going to a movie tonight (Scott pilgrim vs the world) and that should give me some nicely creative dreams, which is what i base my stories off. That one was from playing Fallout 3 for a good 8 hours yesterday.
And so, the world that had turned due to complex space formula, started to turn on simply the tears of gamers, remember to QQ, it fuels us!

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2010, 02:56:16 pm »

I don't think he 'wondered the streets' :)

Ah, I always pass by the beginning. Too many distractions, especially while trying to get into a reading mood (seriously, some people just talking around non-stop while I was trying to get over the middle!... but I did it nonetheless).

Thanks, it was nice to read the feedback, i'll probably try another story tomorrow, as i'm going to a movie tonight (Scott pilgrim vs the world) and that should give me some nicely creative dreams, which is what i base my stories off. That one was from playing Fallout 3 for a good 8 hours yesterday.
Dreams give you crazy stuff to base your stories off. But then they can play with you not nice, because your brain doesn't arrange anything even remotely originally in them, just compact distribution and easy access. Unless it's a prophetic dream. See if you can come up with something like that tonight, to follow up on your ominous story.  8)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 38