Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How important is writing to you?

I'd like to become a professional writer in the next decade.
- 7 (29.2%)
Less than videogames.
- 6 (25%)
I am a professional writer.
- 3 (12.5%)
More than my health.
- 2 (8.3%)
I'm not sure.
- 5 (20.8%)
More than videogames.
- 0 (0%)
Not at all.
- 1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: April 23, 2012, 11:42:36 pm

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38]

Author Topic: Bay12 Writers Guild  (Read 56112 times)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Writers Guild
« Reply #555 on: April 19, 2012, 06:04:49 pm »

Depends on if you feel its worth the effort. If you've got an alternate idea you're interested in exploring, I'd say put away the failed attempt and progress onto the fresh new idea.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #556 on: April 19, 2012, 07:36:03 pm »

Although trying to salvage parts you think are unsalvageable is good practice because if you ever do write to be published there will come a point where you write something that is a complete mess and you will have to fix it. In general, the worse the section is the better the practice.

Sometimes when I write a scene that's really a POS I'll rewrite to be as incongruous with the rest of the story as possible but still move the plot in the same direction. That way I can go back and compare the two and see where exactly the original fails. Because sometimes a scene is such a complete trainwreck it's difficult to know where the good begins and ends.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: April 19, 2012, 08:03:25 pm »

As a !!science!! project I'm making a worldbuilding system based on the raws of DF. If anyone's interested/wants to contribute I can post it here or start a thread just for it. The idea is that it's a concise, organized way of documenting things that can be easily skimmed, and that with a good template it can make worldbuilding much easier.

I plan to have separate "Raws" for continents, regions, civs, races, organizations, and tech/magic systems.

As an example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: April 20, 2012, 03:20:32 pm »

Could someone write a short story set in Mongolia?
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: April 20, 2012, 03:37:05 pm »

You didn't say how short!

Mongolia.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: April 20, 2012, 04:06:31 pm »

Could someone write a short story set in Mongolia?

Semi-serious reply:

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: April 20, 2012, 04:10:47 pm »

Well, if we're all going to bring out our inner genius, ;) I'll file anything under 2,000 words as flash fiction, not short stories. :-X

Unfortunately, I know almost nothing about Mongolia, except there was a guy named Ghegis and in the beginning of his career he used to run around the map of Mongolia doing fetch-quests for various tribes with funny names. After that I got stuck.

And re: silverskull39's idea, for me personally recently the story has been much more important than the world properly organized in flowcharts. If you could add in an option to have an interview with a random resident of that world, it would sure be helpful, though.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: April 20, 2012, 04:52:06 pm »

And re: silverskull39's idea, for me personally recently the story has been much more important than the world properly organized in flowcharts. If you could add in an option to have an interview with a random resident of that world, it would sure be helpful, though.

Definitely the story is more important overall, but in my opinion the worlds of many stories are flat and uninteresting, and there are many times where an author will contradict things they've said about the world and the illusion just sort of falls apart for me. Add that to the fact that there are books like The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss where the world is this deep, storied, almost living thing, and I figured i'd try my hand at serious worldbuilding. Due to my usual disorganized style, it has thus far ended badly when I attempt it mostly due to writing just walls upon walls of text where anything useful was lost in the deluge. This is my attempt to break the walls of text into usable chunks organized in a way similar to df's raws. Very General information is given in the files which point elsewhere, to where the detailed breakdown is. Obviously, ymmv, but I figured since I was using a df related style I'd post it here.

Separate conversation, here's a story I wrote a year or two ago. I posted it here then, but was urged to take it down and try to get it published in a magazine or something. I tried a few times, failed, and no longer really care if it gets published officially or not, so here it is. I can't seem to find the most updated version, so this one may be a bit unpolished, but I don't think it's too bad.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Smirfwit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 16, 2012, 12:44:17 am »

Just tossing out a little idea for a setting I pooped together. Looking for any sort of response or critique. Thanks to any who take the time.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 12:49:12 am by Smirfwit »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38]