Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How important is writing to you?

I'd like to become a professional writer in the next decade.
- 7 (29.2%)
Less than videogames.
- 6 (25%)
I am a professional writer.
- 3 (12.5%)
More than my health.
- 2 (8.3%)
I'm not sure.
- 5 (20.8%)
More than videogames.
- 0 (0%)
Not at all.
- 1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: April 23, 2012, 11:42:36 pm

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 38

Author Topic: Bay12 Writers Guild  (Read 56643 times)

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
Re: Bay12 Writers Guild
« Reply #390 on: January 03, 2011, 07:14:38 am »

Hmm. Have to watch my adverb use, I guess.

I agree with the rule "don't end sentences with prepositions", and in fact I'll often rephrase things awkwardly to avoid it rather than breaking the rule where it makes sense, but I'm still reminded of the not-Churchill-but-commonly-attributed-to-him quote: "This is the sort of English up with which I shall not put."

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 03, 2011, 10:17:05 am »

I often break that rule because it produces awkward results for me. It's one part of English I have no regard for.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #392 on: January 03, 2011, 11:03:21 am »

It's one of those rules that I play by ear; it's just that excepting a handful of cases (e.g. "What did you step on?") I tend to like the sound of the '<preposition> which' version better, but I wasn't that way in the past. I think studying other languages changed me. The more I study other, more rigid grammars, the more I think about it in English.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 04, 2011, 08:06:55 am »

I'll come out of lurking for a moment to share this. Smells fishy to me, because of only 2,000 words. But maybe the catch is in the topic?

Edit: Don't forget to visit their blog.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 08:16:26 am by Supermikhail »

Deus ex Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 05, 2011, 05:04:40 am »

I'll come out of lurking for a moment to share this. Smells fishy to me, because of only 2,000 words. But maybe the catch is in the topic?

Edit: Don't forget to visit their blog.

"Compulsion".

What kind of compulsion? :|

I think I can manage, though, I have an idea brewing.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 22, 2011, 06:38:34 pm »

Threadomancy! (Kinda)

So I've been having some... kinda writers block lately. It's like, I guess you could say, boring to write lately. I already know what is going to happen in my writings, and one of the things that leads me on when writing is... what is going to happen? How is X going to accomplish Y? And that sort of stuff. Does anybody have any suggestions to getting past this?
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 22, 2011, 07:04:44 pm »

Just a couple of thoughts that could liven things up for you; maybe do something you don't actually want to do ... something unexpected, I don't know:

kill the main character off and see how everybody else reacts?

Invert the reputation (in some way, some action or revelation) of the main character and see how the character adapts?

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 23, 2011, 01:04:57 am »

@Repulsion:

'Twould seem to me that you are a rare person whom an extensive planning stage of writing doesn't fit. By that I assume that you plan your stories or whatever you're writing. That is, with index cards, tables, or something like that. In that case you would want to delete/throw away your planning materials, get away for a while, read a very long interesting book, have an affair, travel, work night shifts... if all above unavailable, write something else, but without planning, from a single vision of the beginning. I mean, it might be hard to take the story in a new direction with all that baggage in your head.

Or what mendonca said. After all, that you're bored writing might mean that the reader will be bored, too. You might need an unexpected twist. Both of you... For some reason I want to expand on this statement with saying that if you as a writer do not breach new, challenging territories, for the reader it will be same old, too.

And as long as I'm shirking my duties here, I might complain about my writing problems, as well. Which, as far as I can figure, amount to the following: I've written such a great introduction to my story that everything I write after it seems to be rubbish to me. So I can't write further. Any ideas?

P.S. Another consideration about Repulsion's situation. It appears that I'm quite a different kind of writer from him/her, in that what motivates me is really not the journey, but the finish, having told my story, and seeing it complete. I wonder if I'm a bad writer because of that.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 26, 2011, 12:11:14 am »

I wouldn't say so, Mikhail.  I recall reading a famous author's anecdote that he asked his fellow writers about it and came to the conclusion that they all wrote to 'have written' - in order to have a finished story - rather than for the process or the experience of it.  The odd duck, who wrote just because he liked writing?  Isaac Asimov. 

I'm not sure what motivates me - unfortunately, it often seems like 'not much'.  I like telling stories, and I love worldbuilding, and sometimes I can just sit down and crank out material, but usually it feels like so much trouble that I can't even manage to start.

Sometimes I look at my story and say, "You think you'll get a five-book series out of that?"  And I think I'll never manage a thing.

Other days, I sit down and just start writing.  And some of those days, it just...works.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 29, 2011, 01:16:16 am »

if it's ok to post stories that are being worked on, I have one right here in the creative works section.

Brooding atop the outer wall of her school of war, Anya the last Snowdrifter contemplates a massive approaching army. Having survived for several decades in this wonder filled but dark fantasy world, Anya considers the wise words of her teacher. "Ask yourself: Who Am I? and you will learn much about yourself." Turning this practice towards strategy for the upcoming battle, Anya considers who she is and how she will protect her home.

linky: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=75873.0

Its not done yet, only finished 3 chapters so far but I plan to have about approximately 8 chapters total.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 29, 2011, 04:07:30 am »

I don't know what you expect to gain or whatever by linking it here; this thread is kind of almost dead, well, at least as far as I'm concerned. Maybe you want your story to be added to the library. I could do it, but really, by trial and error I've determined that nobody gains anything by it, and I've got serious doubts about the future of reading on the Internet in general. Although, if you're interested in critique, say so - I don't bother with stories on the forum anymore, because of the aforementioned doubts, and, I guess, personal issues, unless you explicitly say here that you want critique... I'll do what I can, whatever's my feedback worth, but I doubt anybody else will notice.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 29, 2011, 10:24:17 am »

I don't know what you expect to gain or whatever by linking it here; this thread is kind of almost dead, well, at least as far as I'm concerned. Maybe you want your story to be added to the library. I could do it, but really, by trial and error I've determined that nobody gains anything by it, and I've got serious doubts about the future of reading on the Internet in general. Although, if you're interested in critique, say so - I don't bother with stories on the forum anymore, because of the aforementioned doubts, and, I guess, personal issues, unless you explicitly say here that you want critique... I'll do what I can, whatever's my feedback worth, but I doubt anybody else will notice.

well, i had not noticed this thread before. I hope to read some of the stories in the library. having more people take a gander would be the goal but I'm always open to critique. I'm sure my writing could use many improvements both grammatically and by fleshing-out a neglected detail here and there. My chapters are typed out in 2-4 hour sittings and quickly edited and posted before i hit the "GET TO BED" stage of my night.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 30, 2011, 06:17:04 am »

serious doubts about the future of reading on the Internet in general.

Please. The Internet will always be a place for people to deposit their works, especially things they know won't be picked up by publishers. And people read a great deal more than they comment on.

Sturgeon's Law is in full force, naturally.
Well, then maybe I should rephrase my sentence - "serious doubts about the future of my reading on the Internet in general". Because it would appear that the vast majority of literary works on the Internet sucks. I mean isn't the lack of replies in a writing thread an indication of its quality? If people liked the writing, they would have said so, right? But if they were just too lazy to speak up, then what's the point of posting your story? Of course, because you are a charitable person, and want people to enjoy your writing. But how're you going to know if it's enjoyable?

Or, I guess, I didn't read deep enough into your reply. What you're saying is that the Internet is a big dump, and people are going to keep dumping their writing without any regard for its value?

I guess my rephrase still stands. Or I could say it like that even - "I've got serious concerns about the future of writing on the Internet.

Well, cganya. I may have one advice about increasing the activity in your thread - increase the frequency of your updates. First, it's going to appear more often in the Recent Topics, second, you'll have to break your chapters into shorter segments, and people with ADHD won't have to suffer so much :) The breaking down will take some finesse, though.

Another piece of advice which promises no impact on the readership is, watch your tenses. You chose to narrate in the present tense, but apparently through the power of habit, you write dialogue tags in the past. Frankly, I didn't notice it until the middle of the second post (that's why it won't have any impact on the readership), but if you look out for this mistake it'll save you a ton of editing afterwards... Er, yeah, read further - watch your tense.

About chapters. It might be silly, or it may end up silly, but generally division into genres is numerical, that is, up to 10,000 words it's short story, up to about 30,000-40,000 it's novella, after that novel, and I'm not sure how reasonable it is to divide a short story into chapters. What's in your thread now has clocked at around 4,500. Well, if you keep up your chapter size, and hold to your promise of 8 chapters, it'll run over the short story, but if I were you I'd refrain from chapter designation. Although it may be that the word "chapter" just has a special meaning to me.

I guess your thorough editing stage is in the future, and for that stage I've got an inconsistency: in the last update you write that the soul mending happens in some spirit world, but you kind of miss to introduce it. It's just "she reached deeper into the girl's body", which is, err, pretty oblique, considering you later describe it as if the spirit world possesses some pretty physical properties where people have bodies and can walk or fly (which is a physical action, despite not being easily possible in our world).

In general, your writing could use some more description. Like a few epithets for the bad guy. And for the protagonist, too. Right now they seem pretty generic. I suspect, though, that you're writing with a generic good guy (girl, whatever) and bad guy in mind. And we might as well call the protagonist Mary Sue (because it's easier to pronounce, obviously). You seem to realise it yourself. Well, it probably takes some skill to redeem your omni-guy (girl) in a backstory, or it's not possible at all. Anyway, I don't think the flashback works as intended. A conflict that is in the past, is in the past, it's another story. Fortunately, your story has a conflict, which is difficult choices of commander Anya. For some reason you choose to side-step into backstory, and it's going to seem nonsequitur, unless you connect it to the main conflict, or expand your story to a full-blown novel. Also there is an opinion that in a short story characters don't need so much character. So you might not bother with redeeming Anya. In a short story you've got just enough space to explain your idea, and it's in a novel that you let your characters to play with it.

So, you've got a good idea going, but there's some confusion with what you want to do with it.

Damn, I wanted to finish on a good point. Oh well. Also about your dialogue tags. That is, about your dialogue tags and action lines. A dialogue tag is a part of a sentence where speech is, and so should begin with a lower-case letter. When a verb in the "sentence" after speech denotes some form of talking, like "said and shouted", it's a dialogue tag. If it's some other action, like "shivered, smirked" or what have you, it's action and a different sentence, and so should begin with a capital letter.

Er... Like I was saying, you've got a good idea, and a good personal conflict, what's more, enough drive to produce regular updates. And not worry too much about editing right away, which is a healthy attitude. Er... Yeah, keep going.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 31, 2011, 02:43:03 am »

Er. For some reason I didn't bother to find out what the Sturgeon's law says. I guess I wanted to rant too much. ::)
...Okay, so I was right! And my desire to say goodbye to this forum is quite justified. If not for my code problems (which have been helped several times here (meaning programmers' thread)), and a crippling addiction to writing threads! :'(

I feel slightly and morbidly inclined to ask for a sample of your writing, if you don't mind.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 03, 2011, 10:15:39 am »

*critique snip*

Er... Like I was saying, you've got a good idea, and a good personal conflict, what's more, enough drive to produce regular updates. And not worry too much about editing right away, which is a healthy attitude. Er... Yeah, keep going.

I had read your critique several days ago but since then had been a bit busy and unable to really reply. Thank you for your critique, you raised a lot of good points, especially about my tenses and speech tags. I have always had trouble sticking to a tense for some reason and will probably have to spend quite a bit of time fixing one half or the other when I do a final edit. Your point on speech tags though I did not know at all and will put to good use. At first I did not understand the mechanics of what you were saying but I think I've got it now.

Now for the chapters thing. I never learned the official meaning or implementation of a chapter, only seen how they are used. In my story I'm using chapter breaks to begin new lines of thought or memories, as this story is focused on the main character's thoughts and memories.

I think I understand where you are coming from when you say "In general, your writing could use some more description. Like a few epithets for the bad guy. And for the protagonist, too." But there are a few points towards why I have avoided much description at all.

* The story was supposed to be short and to the point, descriptions of characters strike me as something mainly for longer works.
* I remember reading somewhere that description can be written in as it becomes necessary, this may or may not have been bad advice.
* The story takes place as mostly forethought on Anya's point of view (I guess that makes it present tense.) Since she does not know the description of the "bad guy" or his army yet, their description is not set in her mind.
* I really hate long character descriptions, I had to put down "The Hobbit" after the first several pages and walk away from a story everyone told me was great because the descriptions were just too much. There was no room for imagination filling the blanks and there was just paragraph after paragraph of nothing happening! I cant even remember if there was a hook for me to want to keep reading in those early chapters but I'm sure there was enough description to make a few statues. But anyways, I'm ranting.

I'll end on this; you said "you've got a good idea going, but there's some confusion with what you want to do with it."
This is the story of my life and applies to just about everything. Usually I just cant decide what to do and end up doing nothing. So I'll take your advice and keep doing what I'm doing for now.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 38