Dwarf Fortress > DF Bug Reports

Notes on Bug Reporting

<< < (18/28) > >>

a52:
Making a second post so it's seen:

Is it acceptable to go around adding tags to old reports? Am I helping by categorizing possibly-related issues, or am I cluttering up the page with unnecessary bumps?

lethosor:

--- Quote from: a52 on June 02, 2017, 08:02:39 pm ---Making a second post so it's seen:

Is it acceptable to go around adding tags to old reports? Am I helping by categorizing possibly-related issues, or am I cluttering up the page with unnecessary bumps?

--- End quote ---
Personally, I would prefer that you didn't do that. It looks like you're mostly adding keywords that aren't in the original report (at least the ones I've checked), which is kind of helpful for search purposes (unlike duplicating words that are already in the report), but it mostly tends to clutter up the "recently modified" section.

It's more helpful to link related issues using relationships, which Toady checks sometimes. I've seen people post suggestions for relationships for managers to add as notes on the bug tracker, and I've also gotten some PMs about it. I'm not concerned about posts on the tracker updating the issue, since making changes to relationships would update the issue anyway. Tags seem to link a lot of issues that are only tangentially related, which isn't much more helpful than the existing category field or a search.

Myrand95:
I lot of bugs that you mentioned here, i have actually experienced, hope that this is going to be the last time! :-\

Detros:
1) It seems to me there are lots of tags that have typos in them ("caberns") or are doubled ("Cage" vs. "cages"). I think it could help if such typos are fixed and doubles merged. Is there anything to check for when deleting a tag? Was there ever any agreement if tags should be rather in singular or plural form or other such standardization efforts? I think if there is less clutter in the list of tags reporters will be more inclined to use the list of existing tags before writing their own ones, possibly creating more redundancy.

2) Do you know about View issues->List of filters (under Reset filter)->Potential unhandled duplicates :D ? It took me quite some time to stumble upon it.

3) Is there some other place used for discussion on how to manage DF Mantis?

Knight Otu:

--- Quote from: Detros on November 26, 2017, 05:03:57 am ---1) It seems to me there are lots of tags that have typos in them ("caberns") or are doubled ("Cage" vs. "cages"). I think it could help if such typos are fixed and doubles merged. Is there anything to check for when deleting a tag? Was there ever any agreement if tags should be rather in singular or plural form or other such standardization efforts? I think if there is less clutter in the list of tags reporters will be more inclined to use the list of existing tags before writing their own ones, possibly creating more redundancy.

2) Do you know about View issues->List of filters (under Reset filter)->Potential unhandled duplicates :D ? It took me quite some time to stumble upon it.

3) Is there some other place used for discussion on how to manage DF Mantis?

--- End quote ---

1) Unfortunately, I don't think there's a merge function for tags, at least not in our version of Mantis.

2) I'm not seeing that anywhere, unfortunately. It might be identical to summary>open duplicate?

3) We've mostly communicated via pms when the need arose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version