Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Notes on Bug Reporting  (Read 214062 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Notes on Bug Reporting
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 02:15:24 am »

I'm having much trouble working with mantis. It's just so chaotic. I would really like to be able to post bugs on the forum again, I do try Mantis, but it gives me headaches because of the unfriendly user interface.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 03:08:24 am »

Memory dumps might not be as useful as the save. You can't upload files directly to the tracker, but if you upload your save to some place like the Dwarf Fortress File Depot and include a link in your bug report, that would work fine.

There is no save.  This was during world generation.  Really, the program memory is the only thing that could tell us anything.  Maybe I will ask Toady if he wants it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 09:01:39 am »

I'm having much trouble working with mantis. It's just so chaotic. I would really like to be able to post bugs on the forum again, I do try Mantis, but it gives me headaches because of the unfriendly user interface.

What is it you're having trouble with?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 05:06:37 am »

Well.. With the bug report forum, I can quickly glance at the topic titles, and get a good grasp of what has been recently reported. But Mantis' text font and layout hurt my eyes too much to be able to spot the news at a quick glance. I also just can't seem to use Mantis' search function effectively.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 09:42:36 am »

Well.. With the bug report forum, I can quickly glance at the topic titles, and get a good grasp of what has been recently reported. But Mantis' text font and layout hurt my eyes too much to be able to spot the news at a quick glance. I also just can't seem to use Mantis' search function effectively.

You can tweak the layout in some ways to make it more readable.  My Account > Manage Columns lets you remove superfluous information from the View Issues page.  Regarding search, the important thing to know is that search filters are persistent.  If you want to clear a current search and view all bugs, click "Use Filter" next to "[Reset Filter]".  Also, it might help to click "Show Sticky Issues", uncheck the box, and click "Apply Filter" so that new results are always at the top.

Olivine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2012, 10:30:22 pm »

Should we only report bugs if we are using vanilla dwarf fortress?

Obviously if I was changing the raws beyond recognition or modding a lot of stuff and noticing strange behaviour I should not report that because it's likely due to poor programming/whatever.

But would something like a graphics pack, dwarf therapist or modification of the init values (toggle weather, temperature etc.) change things enough to prevent me from filing a trustworthy bug report? Are there any guidelines on this?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 06:29:26 am »

Use your best judgment, but when you use those things, always say so in your bug description. Tilesets and Lazy Newb Pack at their most basic should always be fine, though they can be problematic. Toggling of init values is definitely fine (since those not working would certainly be a bug). Modded games can also fine as long as you know what you are doing - as a matter of fact, a number of bugs may only be visible in modded games. Outside tools like Therapist however can introduce bugs that Toady cannot do anything about.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 12:27:06 pm »

Help! I have two bugs to report involving merchants and thieves being on the map during fortress abandonment, but I can't report them as Mantis won't send me an email. I'm certain the address was right!  :-\

tornado81

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 05:35:57 pm »

HELP! message says: the exception unknown software exception (0x40000015) occurred in the application at location 0x78b2d635. Click on OK to terminate the program. Click on CANCEL to debug the program.

I have only run the program once. I think only way to fix this is to delete the files I have and re-download them again onto my flashdrive. But why did I get that message?

darkkolega

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 01:27:25 pm »

Hey guys. I tried to register on Mantis, and it says that the email with log in details is send, but i did not get any email. I wait a day, then i clicked remind password and again now email received. Could anyone give any suggestions why?

Thanks

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2013, 06:13:21 pm »

The first one might have gone to your spam folder.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 10:08:34 pm »

The initial emails don't seem to be sent at all anymore, unless somebody has received one.  I have no idea how to diagnose or fix this problem, unfortunately.  It doesn't seem like the old problem I had with bay12games.com where it wasn't sending emails at all.  Now it just seems like this one specific instance.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 12:16:18 am »

Unfortunate.

In the interim, if you haven't been able to register for the bug tracker, feel free to to send me a forum PM to address your supposed game bug and if it is a new issue, I'll post it on your behalf.

Rc43

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2013, 12:27:21 pm »

Hello,

I have a problem similar to darkkolega's one. I registered on mantis but email haven't been received.
(I checked spam folder.)

I also tried to workaround this with reminding password, but still no emails.
Is it possible to workaround or manually verify account?

My account is Rc43, mail is kirill.t256 at gmail dot com.

==========================================================================
Update:

I will post my issue here, so I won't forget about it.
Could you place it in right place?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issue is about "Print_Mode = Text".
I switched it on, but DF starts in small area. Maybe it is 25x80, but my real terminal size is bigger.
But I want to see increased game field (as I remember, it is possible to resize game field on Windows, but not sure).
I tried to tweak data/init/init.txt, but no success; as I understood it's settings are for graphical mode only.

Also, there is possible "Print_Mode = Framebuffer".
Can I use it in text-only environment? I can work with framebuffer (e.g. I can run fbterm),
but switching this option on gives me error.

My system is ubuntu-server 13.04, no desktop/window managers installed.
Libraries are ok.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:06:26 am by Rc43 »

tejón

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 06:52:32 pm »

I tried to register last night and also got no initial email, nor do I get any from Forgot Password. Checked spam, nothing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10