Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Notes on Bug Reporting  (Read 214049 times)

MichaelB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Notes on Bug Reporting
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2013, 06:25:21 am »

I am also receiving no initial email, nothing from Forgot Password, and nothing in the spam folder.

I believe I am experiencing bug number 0000615 [severed body parts of living dwarves not hauled] and have a save which I would like to upload to demonstrate it. I haven't reported any bugs before so I am open to suggestions on the best way to go about this.

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2014, 10:50:18 pm »

What is the best way to reopen an issue? The initial post does not provide any direction, and a forum search was not helpful either.
Specifically, I encountered Bug 5261. I am preparing a save now with in-game notes, but I would much prefer to attach my save files and notes to the original bug entry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2014, 11:15:21 pm »

What is the best way to reopen an issue? The initial post does not provide any direction, and a forum search was not helpful either.
Specifically, I encountered Bug 5261. I am preparing a save now with in-game notes, but I would much prefer to attach my save files and notes to the original bug entry.

If anyone else can provide a save, please message a Manager on the forums.

This works too, though.  Reopened.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 01:33:52 am »

Added a bullet point in OP with links to the Managers' Profiles for messaging.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2014, 11:17:05 am »

Closing out bug reports with "Resolved: unable to reproduce" without even attempting to reproduce the problem just wastes everyone's time.

As an example: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6074

It's still a known problem, nothing has been done to resolve it, and lethosor managed to reproduce part of the problem. Yet the bug report has been marked Resolved, hiding the problem and making it more difficult to search for.

How many other problems have been swept under the rug?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2014, 12:29:29 pm »

My apologies if I closed that report in error.  The report was open for 18 months without corroborating comments or a save, so I didn't know it was a known problem.  Unfortunately, we don't have time to attempt to reproduce every report ourselves.  If wasted time is the concern, the most efficient thing is for the reporter to include a save in the first place.

Thanks for letting us know -- I'll reopen it.  If you'd like to see other reports with the "resolved" status, you can adjust your filters.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2014, 12:11:25 pm »

The report was open for 18 months without corroborating comments or a save, so I didn't know it was a known problem. 
vs.
  • There is no need to 'bump' a report - Mantis isn't a forum.

So are we supposed to "me too" bug reports (for corroboration), or not?

If wasted time is the concern, the most efficient thing is for the reporter to include a save in the first place.

In many cases a save isn't going to be all that helpful. Yes, there's something stuck in a wheelbarrow, but that doesn't explain how the items came to be stuck (which is, presumably, the real bug). This report included a concise explanation of the problem and a likely reproduction scenario, both of which are much more useful than a save in my opinion.

As long as saves are optional, closing out bug reports because they don't include a save is counterproductive.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2014, 02:28:34 pm »

• There is no need to 'bump' a report - Mantis isn't a forum.

So are we supposed to "me too" bug reports (for corroboration), or not?

The main point of Dwarfu's guideline is that comments should always have a purpose other than bumping the report.  Comments that provide new information are always welcome, e.g. a save or an observation that the bug is still present in a newer version.  If nobody else has corroborated the report, a "me too" is helpful.  If it's already been thorougly corroborated (say by 3+ people), then further corroboration isn't needed.

As long as saves are optional, closing out bug reports because they don't include a save is counterproductive.

When we request a save, it's for a reason.  If a report is abandoned with insufficient information, we close it.  I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 02:33:27 pm by Footkerchief »

Hewhoisundone

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2014, 04:44:58 pm »

Hey, I'm having trouble installing the game. Is there a specific forum for that? Also, I cannot find the make new post button, which is why I am replying here. Please help!
EDIT: Fixed the problem with install, but still cannot find new post button
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 04:59:12 pm by Hewhoisundone »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2014, 05:59:50 pm »

Yes, the Bug Reports forum is basically closed as per this notice at the top:
We are moving over to the bug tracker now, so please post any new reports there.

Those kinds of questions might work better in DF General Discussion or DF Gameplay Questions.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2014, 12:52:03 pm »

Added lethosor to the Manager list.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 02:20:57 pm by Dwarfu »

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2014, 07:08:00 pm »

Is there any way to edit your bug reports?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2014, 07:25:35 pm »

Is there any way to edit your bug reports?
If you mean the summary/additional information, only managers can do that. What report are you trying to edit?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2014, 07:35:24 pm »

I want to change the save in This report to this:  http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8768
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2014, 07:40:22 pm »

DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10