Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Vampires!  (Read 10038 times)

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
Re: Vampires!
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2011, 02:57:01 am »

Yeah, world gen just ended at year 151, and the guy was still there.  I'll probably use the same world to test adventures killing these guys without making the whole civ hate you, which is nextish.  People should be happy to see them and their cultists dead.

It might be super interesting to have to build a case against a vampire if they weren't acting in the open. That or duck in and duck out, fleeing an enraged populace that will never know you saved them.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2011, 05:02:32 am »

Can't wait for vampire count fortress. Temples running with rivers of blood. BLOOD!

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2011, 11:52:42 am »

Unless they have to actually kill somebody they can easily become members of a society. Even then, keeping a steady train of to-be-executed prisoners coming could establish a working relationship between a society and its vampires. Of course that's usually where some arbitrary crazy curse comes in to make them sufficiently evil and monstery.

It sounds kind of like you are describing if a vampire came to your fortress that you could employ him to kill prisoners. I think that's kind of what you were saying, and know I want to be able to hire vampires to execute prisoners, and perhaps accidentally snack on some nobles. That would be pretty awesome. Unless of course, they are all evil cause of the aforementioned curse. Then it would just be FUN.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2011, 02:31:04 pm »

If the vampires don't want to be part of your justice system, you can always force them.

"We're very sorry that we've forced you to live in a pit, but we do toss down the occasional prisoner and after all what did you expect us to do after you tried to maim us all?"
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

BronzeElemental

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2011, 08:37:49 pm »

Be great if you could capture a vampire/megabeast then have to actively guard him/her/it. A vampire should be able to tunnel it's way to the surface or into some nearby caverns after a couple of decades using only it's fingernails. A bronze colossus.... even less time. They should also try to break out the old fashioned way while your militia is distracted by a siege. MAYBE they could even have a secret cult infiltrate your fortress with migrant waves based on how much they are revered on the outside.

Maybe that can be in the next game, "Dwarf Escape".

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2011, 08:53:51 pm »

This new curse/syndrome system is going to lead to some real !!Fun!! when we get our hands on it. We'll even have common uses of it like the werewolves, mummies, and vampires. It will be amazing, especially with the ingestion system. Vampire Dwarf Farm, anyone?

If the vampires don't want to be part of your justice system, you can always force them.

"We're very sorry that we've forced you to live in a pit, but we do toss down the occasional prisoner and after all what did you expect us to do after you tried to maim us all?"
Burrows and -Vampire Blood- biscuits all the way.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2011, 08:55:24 am »

Plough burrows and vampire blood biscuits ! The ingestion syndromes allow modding possibilities of hunting monsters so as to become less and less human/elven/dwarven, and more and more divine ! Kill 3 dragon, squash their hearts to get a vial a dragon blood and drink it so as to gain the ability to breath fire !
Also, once partial transformations are in (which could be the next release with stuff as vampire teeth getting longer, etc), you could undergo multiple mutations leading you to be a custom race, a unique being ! Eat a hydra's liver and watch your lungs become amphibious ! Grind a minotaur horn into a powder, mix it with some hard to find herbs so as to grow you own horns ! Eat demons eyes to get omnivision !

I am a tad bit excited.

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2011, 10:08:34 am »

Can't do the growing your own horns bit (partial transformations are out), and I don't think omnivision exists. But I agree, there are lots of possibilities. Immunities to certain types of material, auras* of dizziness, auras of paralysis, no_breathe, no_sleep, adjusted speed, adjusted stats, adjusted skills, bad luck auras, poisonous attacks, undead creation (overpowered, most likely), full-body transformations, breath that makes your enemies self-immolate, flying, and more should all be possible. It will be awesome.

*He mentioned causing curses to anything in line of sight. Since curses use the syndrome system, auras will probably be possible.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2011, 10:43:16 am »

Can't do the growing your own horns bit (partial transformations are out)
That sucks. But I can see how it'd be a bit of a problem. The system would be very finicky. Like what'd happen if a tiger ate something that was supposed to add eight fingers to anything with [GRASP]. I can imagine the error log spam that'd stem from adding anything to an already existing creature without certain body parts. Like a dwarf missing hands.
Urist McCrazy has been cursed!
Urist McCrazy has been changed!

Cannot place BP Error x16
Crash
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2011, 10:50:35 am »

By "omnivision" I was referring to the kind of vision that colossus have, which is "extravision", not omnivision (mea culpa). Also, partial transformations are  very likely to be out for this time. But who knows, Toady might decide he has a little more time than he though. And they're going in eventually.

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2011, 11:25:09 am »

IIRC, players will capture an insane uber-military dwarf, then release him upon sieges, a sort of bezerker.
Dope up one dwarf with mega-beast powers. Watch him slaughter sieges. Watch him snap and obliterate the fortress. !!FUN!! for all!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]