Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: According to this, Finland really likes Dwarf Fortress.  (Read 6550 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: According to this, Finland really likes Dwarf Fortress.
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2010, 03:59:44 pm »

Isn't Toady One of swedish descent? At least one of his parents (or grandparents, or further back) are from Sweden or Norway or something.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2010, 04:00:57 pm »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
I wonder if there's something about the Finns socially that attracts them to this kind of gameplay far more than even the nation (and language) this game was built in?

It's more likely that it's just because (frankly) Finland has a rather high proportion of shut-ins. That's what a six-month winter gets you.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2010, 04:16:29 pm »

Actually, I find this very interesting... especially since this game is only released in English, but English-speakers are only third most popular.
I doubt the language has much negative impact in Finland at least, seeing how most of our entertainment is in English. With Finnish subtitles when it's on TV, but still.

Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2010, 01:49:36 am »

Actually, I find this very interesting... especially since this game is only released in English, but English-speakers are only third most popular.
I doubt the language has much negative impact in Finland at least, seeing how most of our entertainment is in English. With Finnish subtitles when it's on TV, but still.
Was gonna say. Finnish is about as dominant a language in Finland as Welsh is in Wales, from what I've seen/read/heard.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2010, 06:00:30 am »

I know that European gamemakers have very different views on gamemaking philosophy, especially in the board game market.  I wonder if there's something about the Finns socially that attracts them to this kind of gameplay far more than even the nation (and language) this game was built in?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisu

So yeah, Dwarf Fortress is the perfect game for us. Suicidally dangerous, but equally fun to conquer :D

Was gonna say. Finnish is about as dominant a language in Finland as Welsh is in Wales, from what I've seen/read/heard.

It's not that Finns don't speak Finnish: we love our language. It's just that we also speak english very well. Why? We have to, to be able to communicate with outside world. Finnish language is kinda alien to any non-Finn.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 06:04:15 am by Mandaril »
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2010, 06:32:44 am »

And when you start to drag in things like accent(Savoa perkele) and so on, which at times are alien to other Finns as well as anyone else, no wonder we teach ourselves proper English.

At least that we can understand.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2010, 06:58:07 am »

Finland is awesome. You like metal, DF, coffee, library books, and rally driving.
Where do I sign up?
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2010, 07:37:52 pm »

I have spoke to a few mixed german and polish crowds and I hardly ever get positive responses about dwarf fort.
You should asked me... :P

Ari Rahikkala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2010, 06:23:18 am »

It's not about Dwarf Fortress specifically, it's just that Finns are shut-ins who like doing a lot of Google searches. It can show up in amusing places.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2010, 09:25:07 am »

It's not that Finns don't speak Finnish: we love our language. It's just that we also speak english very well. Why? We have to, to be able to communicate with outside world. Finnish language is kinda alien to any non-Finn.
Yeah, it's not like we speak English all the time. IMO, Finns might write and read in English well, but actually speaking in English is pretty difficult for many. Still it's a lot more like Finland's second language than the the actual second language.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2010, 10:15:46 am »

It's not about Dwarf Fortress specifically, it's just that Finns are shut-ins who like doing a lot of Google searches. It can show up in amusing places.
WHAT THE FU- BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOURG *Mwahahaha* UUUUUUUUUUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2010, 10:38:47 am »

Finland is awesome. You like metal, DF, coffee, library books, and rally driving.
Where do I sign up?
http://www.migri.fi/netcomm/default.asp ;)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2010, 11:53:43 am »

Where do I sign up?
....Wow. Those are some looong words in there.

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2010, 01:13:13 pm »

Wikipedia: "We may not always win, says sisu, but we most assuredly will never lose."

Yup, sounds like a DF player to me.

I'm not Finnish but I'm a mixture of Scottish, Polish, and Ukrainian, which I think all carry the requisite traits of alcoholism, unpronouncable names, unpleasant weather, and stubbornness in varying amounts. Maybe not so much the engineering talent, but they tend to dig in to their corner of the world and hold onto it rather than expanding, a lot like a Dwarf embark square.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 03:22:56 pm by lowbart »
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2010, 03:01:04 pm »

Where do I sign up?
....Wow. Those are some looong words in there.
Bah, it lost a tag on the end somewhere when I was copying it. :)  http://www.migri.fi/netcomm/Default.asp?language=EN
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5