Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: According to this, Finland really likes Dwarf Fortress.  (Read 6549 times)

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: According to this, Finland really likes Dwarf Fortress.
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2010, 10:10:26 am »

And yet, I can't get any of my friends to actually try DF out.

Maybe we're just good at doing google searches.

What got me hooked was a friend playing who told me to read boatmurdered. The monarch butterfly jamming the door and elephants coming in and the following bloody and brutal battles. Just had to try it out. But I have to admit I would have given up had I not had a friend who knew the ins and outs of the game interface. The initial step is way too huge for most people to decide and go at it alone, not to mention that all the mistakes they do are likely fatal for their fortress. I would have given up altogether after first game. In fact I first gave up playing for years after my second fortress was ruined. Wiki has since changed
the situation.

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2010, 12:09:05 pm »

I fail to see how that is a bad thing. I love the "die and learn" mentality in my games. I am not above spoiling the game by reading the wiki of course, I can learn of others' deaths as well as my own.

I first learned of this game...most likely on Civilization Fanatics forums.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2010, 12:41:16 am »

I'm definitely interested in moving to one of the scandinavian countries, but I think I've been convinced of Finland by this thread.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2010, 03:00:24 am »

This spike at 1st April somehow makes it funny... it was a real release, but it still feels lika a hoax with such a date ^^
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]