Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Fremen Sietch - A Dune mod for DF  (Read 11975 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fremen Sietch - A Dune mod for DF
« on: August 12, 2010, 04:25:33 pm »

As the title obviously suggests, I'm making a dune mod for .12, set slightly before the first book

Here's what I have done:
Sandworms
System for acquiring melange/melange material (no geriatric benefits though)
skeleton of fremen culture

Here's what I plan to have in eventually:
Fully Fleshed out fremen culture (replace dwarves)
smugglers (replace humans)
Harkonnens (replace goblins)
possibly bene gesserit or spacing guild to replace elves
more desert life
sandworm reproductive cycle (if possible)
regenerating spice sands (if possible)
weaponry from the books
stillsuits
new crops (domestic cacti, etc)
worm riding (if possible)

If anyone would like to help, it would be much appreciated.

currently, I'm pruning the raw files of things that wouldn't exist on dune.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:07:22 pm by Eagle_eye »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: Fremen Sietch - A Dune mod for DF
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 05:54:48 pm »

possibly bene gesserit or spacing guild to replace elves
regenerating spice sands (if possible)
have both, two elf-like races.
that sand would be a rare outdoor plant.

stillsuits
worm riding (if possible)
stillsuit would just be a plain leather robe methinks. Can't get food/water benefit from it. But can make custom workshop which does insert suit, out come suit and food item.
No riding in DF yet, except by enemy siegers.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 06:01:58 pm »

I am extremely interested in this and would love to help. My first point would be that you don't have to replace elves and goblins. it is perfectly reasonable to generate entirely new behaviors for new entities. You could make all the major factions.

Also how are the worms constructed? how do they behave? is it possible to kill them?

EDIT: Why not set it during the first book or at least that sort of time so you can have atreides and the emperor's men. may also be possible to reproduce the weirding way although computer controlled wrestling is unpredictable.

I have lots of ideas for other things although i am not sure what kind of help you are looking for.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 06:10:28 pm by Foamy »

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 06:07:36 pm »

I'd be fully willing to help. For the spice, if I remember, it's addictive, so what you could do is have it as a plant growing outdoors in the deserts, and call it raw spice or suchlike, then have it processed into what would basically be alcohol (but call it melange), combined with the [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] token, this would mean you MUST collect spice.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 06:52:34 pm »

It would be possible to make stillsuits work in adventure mode at least. easy enough to create a reaction to produce water from nothing.

Water for fortress mode could either be from underwater reservoirs created by modifying the cavern systems or through water extraction from creature remains and harvested plant material. the later would probably be best although it may be possible to modify the caverns so that it is very rare to find one.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 06:57:20 pm by Foamy »

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 06:55:31 pm »

I'd be fully willing to help. For the spice, if I remember, it's addictive, so what you could do is have it as a plant growing outdoors in the deserts, and call it raw spice or suchlike, then have it processed into what would basically be alcohol (but call it melange), combined with the [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] token, this would mean you MUST collect spice.

the spice is addictive, but Dune is sufficiently saturated with it that you don't need to take any of it by itself.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 06:57:43 pm »

Better yet, make a custom reaction "refine spice" or whatever, producing "melange" alcohol like Aequor said.

Also, I'm willing to chip in, but, uh.... well, I haven't read the books. Seen the movie, though. If that counts for anything.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 06:58:09 pm »

Also how are the worms constructed? how do they behave? is it possible to kill them?

From what I could tell from the books, they are essentially massive earthworms, but much tougher. they are killable, but its only really feasible with atomic weaponry or high power electric shock. I'm thinking perhaps it could be a matter of getting a weapon to the inner worm, and making it bleed.

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 06:58:54 pm »

The only real problems i see are wold gen (is a desert planet possible) and worms. it would be pretty bad for immersion if the worms could follow you into the mountains or into a fort.

From what I could tell from the books, they are essentially massive earthworms, but much tougher. they are killable, but its only really feasible with atomic weaponry or high power electric shock. I'm thinking perhaps it could be a matter of getting a weapon to the inner worm, and making it bleed.

I know what they're like in the books just not how they would work in DF.

It is possible to make them next to indestructible and massive however i have no idea if making them act like worms or respect their size is possible.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:02:18 pm by Foamy »

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 07:00:50 pm »

Thumbs up for a Dune mod :D

Armok is a weirding word :P

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 07:01:35 pm »

Better yet, make a custom reaction "refine spice" or whatever, producing "melange" alcohol like Aequor said.

Also, I'm willing to chip in, but, uh.... well, I haven't read the books. Seen the movie, though. If that counts for anything.

The movie is good enough,  but there are some differences in them and the books.

I'm thinking we should start with some more desert life. arrakis is populated by transplanted desert species, and scavenger birds. Anyone think they could make some small desert mammals? I'm still fairly inexperienced with modding creatures, and those seem to be the only things standard DF doesn't provide.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 07:05:19 pm »

The only real problems i see are wold gen (is a desert planet possible) and worms. it would be pretty bad for immersion if the worms could follow you into the mountains or into a fort.

I know what they're like in the books just not how they would work in DF.

It is possible to make them next to indestructible and massive however i have no idea if making them act like worms or respect their size is possible.

there would be no way to make them stick to sand, or be limited by small nooks and crannies, but I've added [BENIGN] to reflect the fact that the fremen can avoid disturbing them.

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 07:13:39 pm »

does the at piece with nature tag affect fortress mode much? would be cool to only have then attack people who were non fremen. if that wont work then just making them rare and benign would be ok. it's not as if fighting them would be at all productive anyway. i think most of the conflict will be between people.

Any ideas of manufacturing? i don't remember the books or the movie covering how the fremen sourced all their equipment. i always assumed it was from raiding/recycling/scavenging.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 07:18:11 pm »

it seems to me as if their stillsuits are woven from spicecloth, crysknifes come from drowned mini-sandworms, and they don't really use much else... I'll look into the at peace with nature thing, that might be a better alternative.

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 07:23:00 pm »

What's spicecloth? i don't remember hearing about it before but then i've only seen the film and read the first book.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6