Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Fremen Sietch - A Dune mod for DF  (Read 11974 times)

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
Re: Fremen Sietch - A Dune mod for DF
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 07:26:42 pm »

I think E_e is suggesting generalisations that would work as DF mechanics?

Wikipedia entry on Stillsuits

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 07:48:08 pm »

I think it would be more interesting if you were able to recycle gear left by invaders or buy the materials from a caravan. i think the fortress should not be self sustaining and require many imports while exporting either spice or water.

It would make gameplay more exciting and unpredictable. Of course it is up to Eagle Eye but i hope the gameplay doesn't turn out to be very similar to DF just with different names and more sand.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 08:20:37 pm »

that was the idea, I intend for spice to be pretty much worthless to the fortress, and only be useful as an export, and possibly to make sandworms reproduce, if the game mechanics allow it.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 08:43:12 pm »

alright, lasguns are done, arena mode testing commencing

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 08:49:39 pm »

Lasguns are certainly powerful enough (it took off a whale's lower body in one hit) but their accuracy is horrible.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 01:18:30 am »

It's great to see it in the works :).

Here're my comments on the comments above:

1) It's possible to make desert planets. I am not sure about new version which adds a ton of rivers though, but still it will be desert with rivers :). Look at Wasteland mod, all maps there are custom-made maps with huge deserts and small green areas.

2) You can make your people ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT and (NB!) make the spice the only brewable plant! Thus you will get melange which satisfies people's needs :). Otherwise you will have to look for water everywhere. This works as game mechanics for me.

3) Make shields into "personal shields" with a very high block chance. Fights will be long but random hits through shields will be deadly, it will make the combat more brutal.

4) I agree with Foamy, there's no need to "replace X civ", make new unique civs, and as many as you can :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 01:43:50 am »

1. Can't you just set number of rivers to 0?
2. I think having to search for small pockets of water is more in the spirit of dune...not to mention that spice isn't even part water once its melange
3. There are some issues with this though: the sandworm agitation, which I don't know if its even possible, and the lasguns reaction. if theres some way to make shields worthless against certain weapons I think i'll include that.
4. by that, I just meant that they would fill the roles of those races: harkonnens as siegers, elves as hostile but still trading, and humans as being rather run of the mill suppliers.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 01:56:57 am »

I just had an idea: vanilla water replaced with water that's actually booze, and is distilled from corpses and sandtrout (which could be acquired via a sandtrout gathering area workshop] at the deathstill. The issue of its not being a fluid can be adressed by the fact that it's too precious on dune to use for anything but drinking, and would have an accordingly high value. what would be the product tag of a reaction that produced it?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 02:33:44 am »

Why do you want only one type of siegers? You can have different mercenary and raider factions attacking you too.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 09:53:05 am »

I'd rather have one guaranteed sieger, and others that siege if you offend them, which I find more fitting with the dune novels. The only ones the  Fremen really fight are the Harkonnens and the Corrinos, which can basically be considered the same entity.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2010, 09:54:20 am »

Why not to make two entities then? The more you have, the more often they siege (and the smaller is the chance that you deplete their leaders).

Also various smugglers and raiders should fit the theme too ;).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2010, 09:57:52 am »

it also gives a higher chance the fremen culture will be extinguished in worldgen, due to their limit choice in settlement areas.

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2010, 10:01:52 am »

Is it possible to make a reaction to store water in a barrel like booze which consumes a bucket of water or something?

Also i would love to become a partner in this mod if you want. either way I'm going to experiment with desert planet gen and see if i can make water reservoirs rare.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2010, 10:03:17 am »

the thing about dune is, there is NO exposed water. like I said before, I think i'll make it a drink distillable from corpses and sandtrout.

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2010, 10:18:43 am »

I'm thinking of turning caverns into underground reservoirs. the fremen built them but since we cant do that finding them would work too. also it shows that water could exist under the surface so it may have occurred naturally.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6