Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: [DF 31.13] ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝ [WotR 13.3] (We're back!)  (Read 39738 times)

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: LotR Mod- Version 0.00.05
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 10:22:00 am »

try giving them a low heatdam point and adding flaming spells/arrows.
I intend to do both of those things down the line, but I would still like them to be vulnerable to a good ol' fashioned axe.

Edit: The plant overhaul is coming along. We've got potatoes, as well as sweet potato wine. We've also got Sweet Galenas, which someday will be processable into tobacco. Finally, there's Athelas, which can only be gathered, not grown, and which will someday have healing properties.

Edit2: I threw up a download link for version 0.00.11, which contains Ents and wargs. I've got a some plant stuff finished, but I'm not ready to upload it quite yet. So far, I've added:
Above-ground mushrooms
Corn
Athelas
Sweet Galenas
Shire Potato

And taken out all pre-existing DF plants. In the end, there's only going to be one underground crop max, there might be none at all. In Tolkien lore, the dwarves traded their goods for food, and grew none themselves. I'm going to add some more plants, and then get the tree re-write in, and then that will be the next uploaded version.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 03:51:57 pm by existent »
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: War Of The Ring Mod- Version 0.05
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 03:52:22 pm »

Version 0.05 released. See OP for change log.
Edit: Version 0.05.01 released. With no underground crops, I was forced to temporarily enable outdoor farming for dwarven civilizations.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 04:13:47 pm by existent »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Of The Ring Mod- Version 0.05.01
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 04:37:01 pm »

POPULATION_NUMBER probably shouldn't be on the ents; if you want "wild" ents then I suggest you use an entirely seperate creature - last I checked there were a few problems with certain civ-related tags being on non-civvers. Might want to give them a [SPEED:] tag of sorts as well, or not.

Wargs are fine; you might want to give them LIKES_FIGHTING and/or SAVAGE - SAVAGE and BENIGN have effects on creature aggressiveness, if you didn't know.

Ent entity file needs a fix: ENTITY:FOREST must be changed to something else if you're not planning on changing the header for the elf entry. These headers are meaningless; they're just identifiers and must be unique.

I would also find it helpful if you put stuff in new files so it's easier to find, but that's just me.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 04:41:55 pm »

Thanks for the advice. An Elf overhaul is pretty close on the list. Also, I keep all my stuff separate, I just dumped it together for the upload. If there's a better/easier way to upload it, let me know. I'll have those warg/ent tweaks in for the next release.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 04:47:43 pm »

sweet finally a new lotr mod, last time i played one was my hobbit mod.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: [DF 31.12] ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝ [WotR 0.06]
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 10:12:52 pm »

Version 0.06 Released.

Edit: Due to nagging on the part of my younger brother, I'll be working on Elves next. After that, maybe some work on weapons, I haven't really decided yet. Any requests/suggestions will be taken into consideration.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 11:32:43 pm by existent »

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 02:18:33 am »

I would give elves metal. Even something basic like copper will make them much more effective.

There's a reason why elves which join dwarven civs kick so much ass - naturally high agaility and metal armor/weaponry are a potent combination.

As for weapons:

- Dwarves only have hammers, axes and crossbows IIRC. I would give them some variety, but I don't think they had a lot of different weapons in LOTR.
- Elves should have longbows, spears, glaives (like halberds, but with a sword on the end as opposed to an axe) and swords.
- Humans should have fairly similar stuff to the elves, but with less focus on spears and with two-handed swords.

I have some stuff from the LOTR tabletop games, so I'll look through that to see if anything else is worth mentioning.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 02:30:14 am »

Thanks for the suggestions!
I would give elves metal. Even something basic like copper will make them much more effective.
As for weapons:
- Dwarves only have hammers, axes and crossbows IIRC. I would give them some variety, but I don't think they had a lot of different weapons in LOTR.
- Elves should have longbows, spears, glaives (like halberds, but with a sword on the end as opposed to an axe) and swords.
- Humans should have fairly similar stuff to the elves, but with less focus on spears and with two-handed swords.
Elves are going to be overhauled big time, and given access to every metal. When I'm done, they'll probably be the most powerful race. I dunno if I'll just tweak their population to balance, or what. We'll see how they turn out.

Dwarves are going to have a much more limited choice of weaponry, mostly in the realm of hammers, axes, and short bows (not crossbows.) They're also going to lose the ability to produce plate armor, and maybe food.

Elves are going to wield long bows, double-bladed swords (the mechanics for which I haven't figured out yet), potentially staved weapons (like the glaive) and very nice plate armor.

Good Humans are going to be steel-clad longswordsmen, bowmen, and the like, with their greatest strengths being their rangers (think aragorn or faramir) and seige weapons.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: [DF 31.12] ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝ [WotR 0.06.01]
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 02:48:08 am »

Version 0.06.01 Released. Just some minor Ent tweaks, mostly based on Deon's ents. They're still just as unkillable as before, though I may have come up with a solution.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 04:22:34 am »

Make them to come in different varieties (linden, oak, birch etc.) using castes, that's something I dreamed before in 39c. Make them to bleed "*** sap". When they bleed, they are killable.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 08:24:54 am »

Just posting to say that I'd like to help support the project long-term, real life permitting.

Ents should definitely bleed sap. Having bark function as skin would also be an improvement, methinks (assuming this isn't already implemented). I think that you could get leaves as hair to work.

"His bark is light brown. His leaves are extremely dense. His leaves are moss green."
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 09:40:39 am »

Thanks for the suggestions!
As for weapons:
Elves are going to be overhauled big time, and given access to every metal. When I'm done, they'll probably be the most powerful race. I dunno if I'll just tweak their population to balance, or what. We'll see how they turn out.

Dwarves are going to have a much more limited choice of weaponry, mostly in the realm of hammers, axes, and short bows (not crossbows.) They're also going to lose the ability to produce plate armor, and maybe food.

Elves are going to wield long bows, double-bladed swords (the mechanics for which I haven't figured out yet), potentially staved weapons (like the glaive) and very nice plate armor.

Good Humans are going to be steel-clad longswordsmen, bowmen, and the like, with their greatest strengths being their rangers (think aragorn or faramir) and seige weapons.

I don't think elves should get plate. There wasn't really any reference to it in the books, and they're powerful enough with chain.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2010, 09:59:18 am »

There was also no reference that they had none. A single chainmail is not going to protect you well, and LOTR elves were not THAT powerful to neglect plate armor defence IMHO.

Also the wiki says
The reader can assume that the earliest Elf armour was worn in Valinor and consisted of either mail (overlapping rings or scales of either iron or steel) or leather and/or hide, but as time went on, Elves, especially the Noldor, developed different types of armour, a lot of which was inspired by the Dwarves. An early form of plate armour may have been introduced by the time of the Wars of Beleriand. Certainly, by the end of the Second Age of Sun, during the siege of Barad-dûr, the standard Elf warrior was equipped with a mail undershirt and either lightly or heavily armoured with plate on top. The plate most likely consisted of steel or some other Elven metal. The Elven helm was used very extensively, and came in many shapes and forms, and usually covered most of the face and had a noseguard.

Which age is your mod in BTW? It's an important question.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2010, 10:16:52 am »

Which age is your mod in BTW? It's an important question.
I'm not sticking to any one set age or anything. Some of my stuff comes from the books, some of it comes from the movies, and most of it is just whatever I think would make the most sense in a Tolkien world. True, it's a War of the Ring mod, which slots it second/third age, but I'm not paying that too much attention when it prevents me from doing something awesome.

I don't think elves should get plate. There wasn't really any reference to it in the books, and they're powerful enough with chain.

Like I said above. However, I'm going to divide armor into subtypes (Steel Elvish Breastplate, Iron Orcish Chestplate, Steel Dwarven Chainmail, etc).

Just posting to say that I'd like to help support the project long-term, real life permitting.

Ents should definitely bleed sap. Having bark function as skin would also be an improvement, methinks (assuming this isn't already implemented). I think that you could get leaves as hair to work.
Thanks. Right now, I prefer to handle things on my own, but if I ever need support, I'll let you know.

Also, I actually never thought about that Ent stuff... I'll probably work on Elves and Ents today, and I like those suggestions. Right now, Ents are Copper Colossi with Elf personalities.

Edit: I'm sort of torn about this underground crops thing. In LotR, the dwarves traded for all of their food, and grew none themselves, seeing as they lived underground. Right now, the dwarves just have access to outdoor farming, but that's just a temporary solution (I hope). Will Dwarven Civ's not starve during worldgen if I take away outdoor farming?

Edit2: I'm not sure how to make have bark skin, etc, at all.

Edit3: Version 0.06.02 Released. Basically, organized the raws a little bit better, and tweaked ents a little bit more. Still unkillable, pending me figuring out the tissue files.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 11:12:47 am by existent »

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DF 31.12] ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝ [WotR 0.06.02]
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2010, 11:57:36 am »

Dwarves in a lot of Tolkien-style settings have relied on trade, hunting and livestock for food. Farms are generally only used to feed their livestock and to brew alcohol (again, depending on the setting).

Seeing as animals don't need to eat yet, you should be fine removing farming altogether.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9