Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Umomushil - Overlord Compliant Community Fort  (Read 14964 times)

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
Umomushil - Overlord Compliant Community Fort
« on: August 13, 2010, 11:39:40 am »

16th Slate 299
Departure Report, Taskgroup Leader of The Solitary Letters
For the eyes of the Overlord only.

This will be my last report through our Mountainhomes informer network, I leave tonight among the first crew. All is prepared.

The cartographer's reports have been verified at long last. We were forced to resort to a pair of risky acts of blackmail as time was running short, but it paid off. The maps are in our possession and there will be no problems from the bookkeepers, not now, not ever. The site is perfect, exactly as described. It is too early to say that weapon production will be possible to support the cause, however the signs are promising. With the variety of minerals confirmed to be present I feel confident that our settlement will be able to begin financially supporting the Master Plan within mere months.

Our final act may cause minor trouble - we intend to steal a wagon. With no wainwright available to us we have been unable to construct one in secret, and with so many other thefts needed to supply the expedition I have been concerned that somebody may start noticing the pattern. I am confident that none have guessed that we are preparing a prospecting crew despite the picks we have taken, but we dare not push too far. To preserve the secrecy of our organisation I would respectfully recommend that any risk of revealing our actions be delayed unless necessary for some time after our departure.
- Agent Tannen

Let's face it, even the best of us make mistakes. In building and running our forts we make simple mistakes and because of that we fail. Mistakes like "trust", "honesty", or Armok help us, "mercy".

We all need a reminder of the true way, the secure way... the Overlord way.

I hope we all know about The Overlord List. It is a natural companion to dwarf fortress and I have wanted to use it as the basis for a community game for a long time now. Only one thing has stopped me - the Overlord himself. No dwarf is more fitting for the role than the Dungeon Master, and an overlord game without that wonderful lunatic in command just wouldn't be the same, but I've given up on waiting.

If the Overlord is slow to arrive, so be it. The Trusted Lieutenant can still serve to prepare the way while the true master proceeds with his plots back in the mountainhomes, and maybe when the time is right, circumstances will allow the Dungeon Master, the true Overlord, to take his place among us.

Due to the rather, er, unpleasant nature of the destination and the requirements of the Master Plan, the skills of the colonising crew will have to be chosen carefully. Anybody who wants to claim a dwarf, sorry, you don't get to pick what they do unless you want to wait for migrants to start arriving. There might be a little flexibility in embark items though, if somebody wants to bring along a small cheap item.

Dwarfs available to be claimed:
male minion (miner) claimed
female minion (miner) claimed
female minion (mason/architect) claimed
male technician (furnace operator/glassmaker) claimed
female technician (mechanic/architect) claimed
male anatomist (butcher/liar/animal dissector/diagnostician/surgeon) claimed

Backstabbing is to be encouraged here. Any minion who sees a violation of the list is likely to be promoted at the expense of whichever dwarf made the mistake. Of course, the leader is never in the wrong in these cases. Everybody knows that all faults in an evil organisation are caused by the commander being surrounded by incompetent fools. It's just the way things are.

If I break any of the Overlord list rules, point it out! Your dwarf stands to gain if they improve the security of the fort. Loyalty to the Overlord is rewarded. Loyalty to your fellow minions is not.

All Hail The Overlord.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 12:59:28 pm by Geb »

Istas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Umomushil - Overlord Compliant Community Fort
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 01:43:28 pm »

Ooh, I'd like a miner if that's okay. Miners are the backbones of... well, I suppose alcohol is the backbone of dorfen society. But... whatever. I would like to be a miner.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 07:13:10 am »

Field Reports of Tannen Rimtarazin, Trusted Lieutenant
1st Granite, 301

It's expected, almost a tradition even, for a prospecting crew to complain when they strike the earth. That tells you a lot about our pathetic civilisation. Some simply can't believe the wilderness hasn't got all the comforts of the mountain cities and aren't willing to accept it. Others have been ordered out into the world to work for nobility that they hate, but who they serve regardless. Some lack the vision to see what their work will bring forth in time.

I suffer none of these problems.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We have reached our destination. It is a harsh place that has tried its best to freeze us to death already, but it is our home now and I love it already. It may be an icy wilderness with only a volcano for company, but it has one thing that I have been deprived of for years: freedom.

Our plans have been secret for so long that I had almost forgotten what it was like to walk without always glancing over my shoulder, to talk without finding a remote hidden place, to do anything without the risk of revealing our plans. Here? Here, I can shout my plans into the sky and nobody will care. We're all loyal here! There are no guards! No spies! No informers! I can even write my intentions here on paper, because here, it is us who are in charge.

Our first few weeks have been nothing but simple survival - carving out protection from the winds so that we can sleep for more than an hour without freezing solid and protecting our supplies. I have ordered our mason to shore up a few areas where loose soil and weak stone was holding up our stockpile roof. I will not say our situation here is stable, but I believe we can survive for now.

1st Felsite, 301

When hauling logs inside to begin the construction of beds we made a strange discovery. An envelope was tacked to the floor of the wagon, concealed by our supplies, and bearing the personal seal of the Overlord. It seems we have secret orders going beyond the plans I knew. I had been told only that we were to supply weapons and coin to support a revolution, but now...

I don't know what to make of this.

The sealed orders are borderline gibberish in places, set out with no order, it's just a list of one hundred seemingly unrelated commands. Some of them suggest a plan. The implication seems clear that I am expected to raise an army and prepare for taking prisoners. Nowhere does it say what I should do with the army on a strategic level, or where these prisoners will come from. I do not like being commanded by implication, and if I didn't know better I would think this was a bad joke. Why would Overlord feel it necessary to command me not to turn into a snake? There is even one ordering me not to trim my beard!

The talk of heroes and royalty, children and super weapons... confuses me. Yet the seal is truly that of the Overlord, it is unmistakeable. They are valid orders and I will obey them to the best of my ability.

The only one which seems immediately relevant is number 27
"I will never build only one of anything important. All important systems will have redundant control panels and power supplies. For the same reason I will always carry at least two fully loaded weapons at all times."

I shall order construction of crossbows immediately.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 08:03:12 am »

An evil genius overlord playthrough?

Hell, yes. Sign me up.
Name: Julius
I'd like to take the male furnace operator/glass maker.

Also, is there a reason why we have strangely convenient pillars in the first room? 7x7 spaces don't collapse in the 3d version and unless you try to keep that habit in case cave-ins will work like this again one day, I'm not really sure what you intend with having these, but take a look at #62 of that list if you intend them to be useless decoration. And yes, the rule said hallways, but "big, open rooms" are victims of that rule as well.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 08:13:19 am »

OOH OOH OVERLORDNESS! I call male anatomist! And in ase I become head medic later on, may I request an eventual bodyguard unit of marksdwarves?
くコ:彡

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 08:20:51 am »

Minion Istas and Technician-Minion Julius are in and have their profiles up here:

Istas

Julius

Julius: I've never actually played the old 2d version with cave-ins from large rooms, but I like to pretend there's some sanity in the cave-in physics. Your security suggestion has been noted.

Zaerosz: He's all yours. Do you want me to name him "Zaerosz" or is there some other name you'd like for him?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 08:27:51 am by Geb »

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 09:18:06 am »

gimme first soldier

name:doompotato
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 09:52:30 am »

I'd like the female Mechanic/Architect. Name her The Vamp. She better end up as the Overlord's Concubine.
Clear-up:
Name: The Vamp
Profession: Overlord's Concubine
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 10:32:27 am by breadbocks »
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 09:54:31 am »

I'll take a marksdwarf, pl0x.

Name: Grue McGee

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 09:56:31 am »

Damn you breadbocks and your ninjaness. I'll take an immigrant mechanic, give me masonry and architecture. Name me "Urist the Red."
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 10:17:56 am »

Game ON!  I'd like to be your free female minion (miner), please.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 12:09:23 pm »

Field Reports of Tannen Rimtarazin, Trusted Lieutenant
12th Hematite, 301

With very little wood to spare for crossbows, I approached our weapons technician, The Vamp, to ask whether any of the metal ores we had found were suitable for making springs.  She is quite certain that copper or iron springs would work well on a crossbow, but then when I asked how long it would take to begin production she made a basic mistake. She mentioned killing in front of Doc Zaerosz.

Don't let it be said that I shy away from cruelty - when you are working for the right side any act is justified to advance your cause. It just isn't good style to laugh quite like that while you're doing it...

The Doc's eyes lit up as soon as he heard that you could make crossbows from horse bone, and dashed towards our pack beast at full speed, dragging the poor creature off into the tunnels. Within half an hour our resident surgeon and experimentalist had set up a crude set of workshops in the newly carved out bedroom communal area.

and mere hours after that, I was the proud new owner of a pair of still warm horse bone crossbows.

One of them even had a set of decorative spikes along the front made of carved hoof. They really are quite pretty.

One of the mining minions, Istas, got into a violent argument with the Doc over his use of the room. I don't think this will be a serious problem, no dwarven blood was drawn... probably. It's quite hard to tell given the ankle-deep layer of horse gore and pools of spilled tanning ammonia. It seems that Istas had carved out this room fondly imagining it as a peaceful meeting room and pleasant place to eat, a vision that the lab did not fit into very well.

3rd Malachite, 301

Rule 56: "My Legions of Terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice."

The list is not clear on whether I count as part of the Legions of Terror. It is irrelevant though; learning to use weapons that I carry is basic good sense. I have personally boiled some leathers to make armour, and thus protected from danger and the cold, I have gone to practice my marksdwarfship on the local wildlife.

This isn't as difficult as I thought; it looks like I won't be used for target practice anytime soon. I have always been a hammerdwarf at heart, there's something special about the crack of breaking bone heard from up close... these bows are certainly intruiging though.

As I was using the crippled dying ox for target practice, focused fully on the beast's head, a shape ran right in front of my bow. A dwarf! Seven dwarves!

Their leader, a dwarf calling himself DoomPotato, responded very well to finding a crossbow aimed at his face as I shouted to them. He claims to be a professional soldier loyal to the Overlord, a man who has seen enough combat to know that he doesn't want a sliver of horse bone embedded in his head. I'm starting to understand what the list meant when rule 55 referred to deformed mutants and odd-ball psychotics... Nevertheless, if they can be trusted they could be useful.

I immediately split the new arrivals up, telling all the soldiers to make sure the wounded muskox is dead before bringing it in, allowing me to check the other arrivals without interference. Even if they are unarmed and half-dead from the cold, I'm not allowing untrusted dwarves into the fortress where they might cause trouble. They claim to be a liason to the Overlord's smugglers, a jeweller who likes to work with bone, a squad of the Legion, and joy of joys, a weaponsmith. Their references from the Overlord bear his signature and appear to be valid, so this group are lucky, they can enter our fort without being killed.

4th Malachite, 301

I take back my earlier statement about this group of idiots being useful. After a whole night wandering about in the icy wilderness, they report that the muskox got away. It had only one working leg, was bleeding, was unconscious, and they let it escape.

HOW CAN THEY POSSIBLY BE SO USELESS!? I will have to think very carefully how to punish this failure. A solid month of patrol duty outside the fort entrance will be a good start.

OOC: I really did think that they'd be able to get the ox. It was standing on the very edge of the map, then turned back. It was a solid 20 tiles from the edge when I sent them after it and moving slowly. Tannen was tired, hungry, thirsty and out of ammo so I thought the new Legionaries ought to have a chance to do something. It didn't work very well. Oops.

The newly dwarfed:

Doompotato

Grue McGee

Imp

The Vamp

Urist the Red

and Doc Zaerosz

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 01:20:19 pm »

I like my last name. Also: Hooray for dual-wielding crossbows.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 03:03:22 pm »

Don't forget my profession!
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 03:12:22 pm »

Don't forget my profession!

The concubine thing? I'll see what I can do. We're due a little back story, I think.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12