Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Stronghold 3 coming to PC early 2011  (Read 8798 times)

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stronghold 3 coming to PC early 2011
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 05:32:15 pm »

Obviously photoshopped picture.
You shopped in the fake cover someone made, turned it sideways, added a light effect and then shopped in a picture of a paper.

If you continue to disobey us we will send you to the gallows or the rack.
Maybe even the burning posts.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 05:34:19 pm by Saint »
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

oidip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 05:38:05 pm »

Its under their list of games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_Studios

Also I don't know why it 404'd, maybe its because the file is quite large.
Join the new Hermit Succession

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 05:39:03 pm »

As it is obvious that you live in different realities, perhaps it is best to drop this discussion?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

oidip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 05:40:13 pm »

I'm guessing that your saying it doesn't exist because you dislike it? The same with that crappy fallout game...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 05:41:35 pm »

No I really do:
(fake pic)

photoshop'd

the reflections are all wrong.   =p

oidip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 05:44:32 pm »

Have you seen a quite a few shops in your time?

Also its not! What can I do to prove its not?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 05:45:17 pm »

I'm guessing that your saying it doesn't exist because you dislike it? The same with that crappy fallout game...

He's choosing to deny that it exists since he disliked it so much. Just drop it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 05:46:11 pm »

You have become better at Grasping Humor! (1)

I really liked SH1. Totally got my castle building groove on. SH2....couldn't stand it. It just didn't make intuitive sense the way anything happened, not like SH1. The resourcing requirements were kind of silly, the stuff like seasonal fires was just tedious...the series will have to seismically shift back to what SH1 was about before I get interested.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

oidip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 05:50:18 pm »

I didn't really see much difference In the two games other than the 3d and the estates, I don't mind the graphics of any game (hence DF) and I quite liked the estates so I don't really see that much to hate.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 05:59:46 pm »

One thing to note is that, in my mind, "good graphics" doesn't 100% mean "It looks cool and realistic and needs a monster computer to run" but also means that it is easy to tell what is going on screen at just about any time. For example, arrows and bolts don't leave vapor trails in reality, but the fact that they are there gives you a better idea that there are, in fact, arrows flying around. Also, being able to differentiate between the different buildings.

In Stronghold you could tell the difference between a bunch of units just by the way they looked and the way they walked (the bowyer, for example, hobbled around because of a bad leg)

So yeah, if the 3d is done right, then good for them =)

Captain Alchatron

• Bay Watcher
  • The Elbow of Ragnaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2010, 06:14:12 pm »

I dunno, I don't mind a lack of graphics, as per ASCII games, but a sort of mid-way is sort of hideous some times.  The screenshot you've posted in this thread makes the graphics look terrible (for today's graphics).  Usually I don't much mind but it must be said it looks sub-standard at the moment, which is pretty bad for a strategy/city-building game.  Anno managed it.  :(

But I did like Stronghold though, back in the day... even if it was a little silly.  Tried the map editor?  It's not paused, so if you set people down they automatically start attacking each other x)
If you go up to someone and beat the hell out of them with thread, you not only defeat them, you shame them and their entire family for generations to come (providing that there are any survivors).
Various mouths were involved, and a soda can and a penny I think.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2010, 07:19:21 pm »

He's choosing to deny that it exists since he disliked it so much. Just drop it.
It's actualy a joke.
Fallout:Brother hood of steel was so fucking bad we all just pretend it doesn't exist.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2010, 07:34:21 pm »

I dunno, I don't mind a lack of graphics, as per ASCII games, but a sort of mid-way is sort of hideous some times.  The screenshot you've posted in this thread makes the graphics look terrible (for today's graphics).  Usually I don't much mind but it must be said it looks sub-standard at the moment, which is pretty bad for a strategy/city-building game.  Anno managed it.  :(

But I did like Stronghold though, back in the day... even if it was a little silly.  Tried the map editor?  It's not paused, so if you set people down they automatically start attacking each other x)
Alt-H to freeze the map. You'll have to unpause it whenever you delete buildings off the map for them to actually disappear. Stronghold one's map editor was limited, and a little buggy, but I just used Stronghold 2's editor to make a Kingmaker map, and it's actually more limited. Sieges are more linear, since you can't choose which units to bring anymore(the AI still does, what you get is different than what they use, and is often a smaller force that starts under attack anyway).

Now, if they take just about everything from the first one, and the few good things from the second, then the third will be excellent. Though, that screenshot the OP posted looked like Stronghold 2's graphics almost exactly.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2010, 11:12:37 pm »

SH:C was my first strategy game; picked it up for $10 in the walmart bargain bin, loved it. Stronghold 2 I got a few years later, and I must say I enjoyed that too. You have to think of it more like an econ sim than anything else to get enjoyment out of it. That or screw around with the map editor...

There was a way to take save files and change them into a file which could be opened in the map editor; this made for lots of fun. The game came with a few economic-only maps, which would of course get boring after your gold made it's way up into the hundreds of thousands. However, take an uber-economy castle, add in spawn points for "very large" seige encampments set to repeat every minute or so, and you got yourself one hell of a battle. Your FPS will slow as the map is choked with enemy units, meanwhile your keep is crawling with 300 knights gaurding the king against the constant onslaught (plus a bunch of archers if you added friendly units in the editor). Quite enjoyable back then, IMO. But of course, most of that is nostalgia, as more recent plays of it have revealed.

Wayward Garden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wayward Garden
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2010, 11:41:20 pm »

I like Stronghold.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5