Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Stronghold 3 coming to PC early 2011  (Read 8782 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stronghold 3 coming to PC early 2011
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2010, 11:52:13 pm »

ppppfffhhtt... How can you call yourself stronghold fans when you forgot about stronghold crusader EXTREME?  :P

Anyway I liked stronghold 2 and have never encountered any bugs and nothing held me back from building armies of 1000's of units.

Also if you want a tower in your estate, build a kitchen next to an engineer's guild.

I don't care if they have stronghold 2 graphics. We all know weaker graphics are small insignificant paint splashes on the huge canvas of game play depth. I am mostly looking forward to the freestyle design and hope to god that they made AI capable of adapting to their surroundings. Having an AI refuse to build their fortress because they don't have the right keep, or a tree is where 1 tile of their stone wall should be, is just stupid.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2010, 11:14:09 am »

ppppfffhhtt... How can you call yourself stronghold fans when you forgot about stronghold crusader EXTREME?  :P

Anyway I liked stronghold 2 and have never encountered any bugs and nothing held me back from building armies of 1000's of units.

Also if you want a tower in your estate, build a kitchen next to an engineer's guild.

I don't care if they have stronghold 2 graphics. We all know weaker graphics are small insignificant paint splashes on the huge canvas of game play depth. I am mostly looking forward to the freestyle design and hope to god that they made AI capable of adapting to their surroundings. Having an AI refuse to build their fortress because they don't have the right keep, or a tree is where 1 tile of their stone wall should be, is just stupid.
That was never a problem in the first stronghold games. I'v never seen the AI do that.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2010, 11:41:39 am »

and nothing held me back from building armies of 1000's of units.
Every time I get to around 300 or so, it says "You're reaching the limit of troops, sire.", which is often followed by "You have reached the limit of troops, sire.", so maybe you did something to remove the limit? Or are you talking about the first one(which had no limit)?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2010, 12:06:47 pm »

what I really hate is the insta rebuild I should not have to bombard a city with 20 trabelestas for 10 minutes to all of a sudden have the walls go Poof screw you we're back.
Nom nom nom

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2010, 12:12:53 pm »

All the Stronghold games sucked because sieges were horrible. Maybe this time around they'll actually code in some basic pathfinding and collision detection for units so I don't have hundreds of men assault a castle using one ladder in some kind of retarded Snake conga line.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2010, 01:07:49 pm »

All the Stronghold games sucked because sieges were horrible. Maybe this time around they'll actually code in some basic pathfinding and collision detection for units so I don't have hundreds of men assault a castle using one ladder in some kind of retarded Snake conga line.
That's your damn fault for ordering them all at once ladder.
Order them in groups to other ladders, the game was made in 2001, the ai is actualy really good.
It's because the game works in groups, the group selected will try to go the way the others go to stay in a group, thus selecting ALL the damn army, really selects ALL the damn army as 1 group. It was devised that the player would be actualy thinking and using strategy to you know, plan their seiges, not just zerg rush archers/crossbows, ladders, zerg rush whole army.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 01:10:27 pm by Saint »
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2010, 01:37:35 pm »

well the game shoulda said something in the damn manual about that, cause I've never seen, heard, or done that before.
Nom nom nom

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2010, 02:19:36 pm »

Most RTS games are like that.
They order the selected as 1 group.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2010, 04:36:59 pm »

That was never a problem in the first stronghold games. I'v never seen the AI do that.

But you could see the AI killing themselves by not building their bakeries because trees were where they wanted them to be. "Slope in the way? It's okay if I leave a huge gap in my defenses because I can't place them where I want them".

Every time I get to around 300 or so, it says "You're reaching the limit of troops, sire.", which is often followed by "You have reached the limit of troops, sire.", so maybe you did something to remove the limit? Or are you talking about the first one(which had no limit)?

I think I have a special version that has the limiter removed. It's not like there was a need for one in the first place.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2010, 06:18:12 pm »

I hope in the third one they bring back the lean-to buildings the first one had(weapon shops, bakeries and brewers built against a wall). They looked cool, and their absence from the second was disappointing, though various castle structures(barracks, armory, bedchamber, kitchen, engi guild, treasury, courthouse) could be built into the wall.

But you could see the AI killing themselves by not building their bakeries because trees were where they wanted them to be. "Slope in the way? It's okay if I leave a huge gap in my defenses because I can't place them where I want them".
Was he talking about the first one? The AI never builds or rebuilds in that. And I don't think you can build the engi guild in an estate.

I think I have a special version that has the limiter removed. It's not like there was a need for one in the first place.
Well, mine's a *cough* version anyway, so I don't think I have much right to complain ;).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Captain Alchatron

• Bay Watcher
  • The Elbow of Ragnaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2010, 06:29:20 pm »

Oh!

I think it's just dawned on me: I may have surgically wiped all memory of Stronghold 2 from my brain deliberately in order to keep it out of my nightmares.  Is this the one where they added dragons and King Arthur (along with 3d)?  Because that really was the worst game I have ever played, probably.

I kept trying to remember Stronghold 2 after youse mentioned it, and out of interest, is that the one?
If you go up to someone and beat the hell out of them with thread, you not only defeat them, you shame them and their entire family for generations to come (providing that there are any survivors).
Various mouths were involved, and a soda can and a penny I think.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2010, 07:18:51 pm »

Oh!

I think it's just dawned on me: I may have surgically wiped all memory of Stronghold 2 from my brain deliberately in order to keep it out of my nightmares.  Is this the one where they added dragons and King Arthur (along with 3d)?  Because that really was the worst game I have ever played, probably.

I kept trying to remember Stronghold 2 after youse mentioned it, and out of interest, is that the one?

That was stronghold: legends, it was released at or around the same time as the second if I remember correctly.
Same gameplay pretty much too.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2010, 08:30:13 pm »

I played the demo of stronghold and was somewhat dismayed by the way the walls just got shorter every time you hit them.  It was very ugly and unrealistic.  Also, 2d isometric graphics don't really work in a game where large walls are so important.  Unforutnately that's about all I remember of it.  I know I played the demo of stronghold legends but don't remember anything about it except that it was 3D.

I remember liking Lords of the Realm 2 a lot so maybe I was just expecting something more like that.  Dunno...  Here's hoping though that the building destruction is more like the Total War series in 3 instead of that silly shrinking thing.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2010, 09:13:35 pm »

Wall-shrinking was a bit odd, yes, but I still quite liked Stronghold.  Alright, so there were times when a maceman would be plinking away at a wall and would wind up shrinking it while an archer was standing on top, thus trapping the archer in his own little cell until either the maceman got to him or the siege was lifted and the wall was reconstructed underneath.

But you know what?  I still liked the sieges.  True, modern-day technology is capable of far more awesomeness and physics-based destruction and yadda yadda...  But for what they had at the time, plus all the citybuilding and economic aspects, it wasn't that bad.

What bit me was how impossible it was to attach a round tower to a wall and have it not look wonky.  I used the inferior square towers in a number of places simply because they looked better...

And what's this you say?  Massive river of pitch, leading straight into the forest the bad guys are coming from?  Why of course!  So what if I used hundreds upon hundreds of pitch jars to make a veritable ocean in front of my doorstep, it sodding well worked now didn't it?

Yeh...  Well, ignore all that, I'm just ranting.  Anyways, I played the demo to Stronghold 2 (and Stronghold Legends), and I can't really say I was impressed.  There was just something... wonky about it.  I've never really taken issue with province-based maps, but there was just something weird about the 3D troops and defenses.  Okay, so the guys in Stronghold 1 clipped into each other all the time too when walking through a door, but they didn't stay like that, and for some reason it seemed to work better back then.

I really wanted to be impressed by Stronghold 2, but I wasn't.  Even though it had been piled high with all sorts of new gizmos and tidbits, it was lacking something.  Here's hoping #3 gets it right.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2010, 12:18:22 am »

Hope that one day they make an MMORPG stronghold. I wouldn't mind playing as a woodcutter who chops up wood and brings it to a stockpile, as long as I will eventually be able to be a lord and send out armies of other players.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5