Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The Marble Wall  (Read 27892 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Marble Wall
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2010, 05:44:12 pm »

You do know you could still "build" on the edges by using magma and water? Or so I have understood.
Well.  If I was doing an obsidian wall...

Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2010, 05:46:46 pm »

Hecould just overlap the embarks, and also, how would you direct the magma and water to join at that one square?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2010, 05:54:15 pm »

I'm guessing you can't embark on areas that overlap previous embark zones?  The whole time I was reading this, I was thinking that would solve the problem of not being able to build on the edge and it would help you line them up too.  But if you could do that, I'm sure you would have tried or somebody would have suggested it.

Are you going to use the mines that would be necessary to get all that marble as part of the ruins?  You should try to make them look like an ancient successful civilization too.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2010, 09:08:03 pm »

I'm going to build a large strip-mine elsewhere in the countryside for the abandoned mine feel, maybe a few small ones too, but no, the mines here are basically going to be large, empty caverns with all of the marble hewn out of them - I'm leaving behind the mica, malachite (unless needed), etc though.  I might take out some of the floors to make it more cavernous, though.  I'm adding some unnecessary pillars to support the ceiling, but that's about it.  I'll update the first post with a few screenshots of the marble mine (and the now complete front gate, and the newly-started temple) shortly.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2010, 01:22:25 pm »

Updated the first post with some pictures of the temple, the mines, the floorplan of the barracks (for those curious).  Still need more gold to finish out the last two of the gold towers, but there are already almost 5400 (!!) gold blocks in use here, so I could probably call it done and nobody would mind too much.

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2010, 12:05:51 am »

Still need more gold to finish out the last two of the gold towers, but there are already almost 5400 (!!) gold blocks in use here, so I could probably call it done and nobody would mind too much.

I would mind. >.> ^.^

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2010, 12:15:44 am »

I want to see the shithole that is the actual living area.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2010, 01:50:46 am »

Since there's (apparently) some small amount of interest in this project still, I'm uploading a save so people can wander around in Adventurer mode (which should be fun), check it out in Stonesense for themselves (after re-discovering the location, of course) and such.  Also uploaded some screenshots of the living area, and the east/west segments of the wall.

[Update]
Save located at the bottom of the first post.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 01:58:32 am by shadowform »

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2010, 02:32:53 am »

u know using embark anywhere would allow you to connect your wall.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2010, 02:45:46 pm »

This is amazing!

I have ADD coupled with a reduced ability to imagine 3d objects and their spatial relation to each other in my mind.  It's pretty much impossible for me to make a bloody cube out of blocks in DF, much less an entire fort! I salute you.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Afelia Fail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2010, 03:10:34 pm »

Very nice project! Ruined wall look very realistically, i couldn't imagine it this way, nor build it in DF. Subscribed

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2010, 04:17:08 pm »

For the edge squares, you can build drawbridges and raise them to complete the wall, then dismantle the original levers. Alternatively, you can use those drawbridges as gates into the fort. Bridges can be built up to the edge squares.

P.S. This is awesome!

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2010, 02:20:00 am »

Can we get an upload to the DFMA? I would like to explore it, but not load it.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2010, 05:16:40 pm »

Very impressive.

You could add some siege engines to the towers. They don't work from higher ground, but Since You are going for look and fell they would fit. I think two or three per tower would be good.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2010, 04:39:54 pm »

Can we get an upload to the DFMA? I would like to explore it, but not load it.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9929-goldgates

No points of interest marked, but it should give you an idea of what the thing looks like, at least.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5