Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The Marble Wall  (Read 27628 times)

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
Re: The Marble Wall
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 02:49:32 am »

And thus the mighty dwarven empire turned back the human civilization of the Huns and their mighty king of Attila.  Mainly because when the human war party got to the wall, they threw their arms down and went 'Fuckin' dwarves, man.  They don't make ANY sense!'
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 02:54:40 am »

And thus the mighty dwarven empire turned back the human civilization of the Huns and their mighty king of Attila.  Mainly because when the human war party got to the wall, they threw their arms down and went 'Fuckin' dwarves, man.  They don't make ANY sense!'
That's not true. They make Stonesense.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 02:58:43 am »

(If you are making a large rectangle, the inner parts will likely make the largest fortress in the entire history of Dwarf fortress!!)
The wall basically creates a large divide between the main part of the world and a small valley nestled between a few mountains.  I'm going to put a few small (2x2 embark) settlements in there with some things.  One being a temple, another one just a depot with a small city hub beneath it, another one is probably going to be set up to resemble a giant strip quarry...  you know, flavor stuff.  Then I'm going to try and find an embark on the rearmost mountain of the valley that I can carve into a nice 10+ Z level mountainhome, with a great view at the top to survey the lands from there out to the wall itself.

But no, it's not a massive rectangle.  The mountains are the other two sides.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Sarganto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 03:19:05 am »

You sir, are megalomaniac...or Chinese, for building such a goddamn huge and long wall.

Bedsheet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 11:34:38 am »

Gosh damn mongolians you stay away from my shitty wall!

Blackdutchie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 01:00:48 pm »

the Americans built quite a wall as well.
Friggn' Latino's! Stay outta our countreh!
Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Flying Carcass
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
The first lesson taught by DF is patience.
The second: Madness.
The third: Magma, properly applied, solves all problems.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 01:58:29 pm »

"...When, in the year 1152, the great flying hordes from the dark goblin fortress of Murderguts cast their greedy eyes upon the Dwarves, they laughed at the wall they had built."
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 02:18:37 pm »

"...When, in the year 1152, the great flying hordes from the dark goblin fortress of Murderguts cast their greedy eyes upon the Dwarves, they laughed at the wall they had built."
The wall has evenly distributed murder holes for crossbow dwarfs, and the large golden towers are designed to be able to shelter, supply, and protect a dozen dwarfs each.  The bottom 3 stories are split into 4 living quarters each, the 4th story is going to be a food/ammo store, and the top floor is the shooting area.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 05:07:15 pm »

Double post: but updated the first post with a bunch of screenshots.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 05:14:11 pm »

Clearly the OP needs an obsidian meteor setup.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 05:25:17 pm »

A view of how the walls are embedded into hills
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That is REALLY unsafe. The enemies can just walk over it. Make it uniformly at one level.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 05:26:43 pm »

That is REALLY unsafe. The enemies can just walk over it. Make it uniformly at one level.
Or, at the very least make the hills all uniformly one Z level above ground lever.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2010, 05:27:18 pm »

A view of how the walls are embedded into hills
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's not finished.  I put that up as an example that the walls go into the hills, instead of just resting on top of them.  Look at the finished wall section if you want to see how it will look once its finished.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2010, 05:43:45 pm »

Yes, but thw finished part is on flat terrain.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2010, 05:59:08 pm »

I'm still working on how I want to set it up so that the river can still flow, yet can also be stopped.  Any ideas for that would be welcome.
I'd say you need to make a semi-permanent dam the river above the gate, then at the gate itself build and lever-link a wall of floodgates as well as wall of vertical bars/grates. Then you will be able to start and stop the flow of the river at will, as well as permit and forbid passage of aquatic creatures while the river still flows. Once the bars and floodgates are linked properly and functional, you can deconstruct the dam.
As for making the dam, you'll need to temporarily divert the water so your dwarves can work. Most of these ways involve digging channels and other permanent landscape alterations which you may wish to avoid, so if I were you I would place a series of pumps spanning the river and an above-ground constructed aqueduct to divert the water. You could try sending it back into the river below where you want your dam, but it may flow back upstream, I'm not sure. The only other option I can think of would be to create a giant cistern, but that comes with it's own problems. Firstly, if you underestimate the amount of water and run out of space in the cistern, either the cistern will overflow, or the pumps will stop functioning and your masons will drown building the dam. Secondly, you'l need to drain the cistern back into the river below the dam once it is completed, so you'd have to build a drainage duct and floodgate controls. Thirdly, the cistern may have to be multi-z-level. I don't think the pressure would cause any problems with the drainage (unless a tree grows in the way), but it means you'd need nine pumps (one for each tile-width of the river) for every z-level you need to raise. And a nine-pump-wide pump stack is no small undertaking.
If you pulled it off though, it would be an amazing feat of dwarven engineering. If you use the cistern method I described, I'm going to demand incremental screenshots of its construction and operation. Also, don't forget to make incremental saves and back-ups, it would be very bad if you lost the world to a hard drive failure or something.

How are you going to make the walls line up and be contiguous across region tiles? Unless there's been a change I'm unaware of, you can't set half of your embark in one region tile and half in the adjacent tile.

"While you were typing 6 new replies have been posted"
Oh wow, I spent a long time on this. I was bored. :/
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5