Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The Marble Wall  (Read 27617 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Marble Wall
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2010, 05:59:47 pm »

Yes, but thw finished part is on flat terrain.
I don't think you get this.

This is not meant to protect a fort.  This is not meant to have any actual defensive value.  I am DELIBERATELY building ruined sections.  I am UNABLE to extend this all the way to the edge of the map because of the engine's restrictions.  What I am doing is making something that you will run across in Adventure mode and say, "Holy f**k, that's a huge wall made out of valuable stone.  And those are huge towers made out of valuable metal.  And that's a huge courtyard decorated with adamantine.  This civilization must have been fabulously powerful and wealthy!  I am gonna explore the HELL out of this place!"

But, all the same, just to please you, here's a section of (mostly) finished wall on a hill.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2010, 06:02:19 pm »

What are those purple blocks? Gem windows?
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2010, 06:07:52 pm »

How are you going to make the walls line up and be contiguous across region tiles? Unless there's been a change I'm unaware of, you can't set half of your embark in one region tile and half in the adjacent tile.
The towers extend as far towards the south end of the map as you can build (5 tiles away), and the walls are centered between the towers, so they're 9 tiles from the edge.  I just line up my embarks to that, on the embark screen, they're next to each other and use this same system (towers as far south as possible) to position the towers.  Unless something weird is going on they should all line up.

I'm including ruined sections in the walls to try and help mask the embark-zone restrictions.  Which is why this one is so wide: I wanted it to be a nice, long stretch of unbroken wall.

What are those purple blocks? Gem windows?
The purple blocks are unconstructed objects, whether they be floors, windows, walls, fortifications, etc.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2010, 09:27:34 pm »

I had always though about trying something like this. Making a great wall of dwarftness keep safe the great mountain homes of a certain pass. Since you can build too close to a certain edge of the map, I suppose you could put military outposts there...

*Poster*

• Bay Watcher
  • It is a mystery to everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2010, 10:36:07 pm »

And thus the mighty dwarven empire turned back the human civilization of the Huns and their mighty king of Attila.  Mainly because when the human war party got to the wall, they threw their arms down and went 'Fuckin' dwarves, man.  They don't make ANY sense!'

And so were the Huns defeated by the Theodorfian Wall, and instead turned their sights to the Western Lunatic Empire.
The Tower of Fu, a massive wooden statue of a middle finger facing north towards the elven lands, is completed, crafted from 760 wooden blocks of differing types of wood.  It is designated as a stockpile for lye, potash, ash, and coal.
Six out of seven dwarves are not Happy.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2010, 10:48:10 pm »

Very nice.  If you decide to try for an unbroken wall, you could use cast obsidian, at least for the 5 edge tiles you can't build on.  Although the "empire that's fallen on hard times" vibe adds a lot more flavor for exploring in adventure mode.  I assume some of the small settlements you're planning for inside the valley will have ruined/buried buildings, in keeping with the declining empire feel.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2010, 04:30:56 am »

The river is dammed!  I couldn't build pumps close enough to the edge to route the river directly back into itself, but I managed to pour it back into itself just long enough to get up a series of floodgates.  The only problem now is that with the pumps disconnected, THE REST OF THIS ENTIRE HUGE DAMN RIVER IS FLOWING BACKWARDS INTO ITSELF AND I STILL CAN'T GET TO THE DAMN FLOODGATES TO LINK THEM TO A LEVER.  I'm going to wait, probably a few years at the least, just to let this river drain out.  I don't even want to think about how long it's going to take to fill back up once I'm finished...

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2010, 04:40:41 am »

It should be easy to pump it back into it's self. You build floor tiles out across the river and build pumps on that. Have the pumps facing towards the source of the river. And add power.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2010, 06:08:57 am »

It should be easy to pump it back into it's self. You build floor tiles out across the river and build pumps on that. Have the pumps facing towards the source of the river. And add power.
That's what I did.  But I wasn't able to pump the water directly back into the river source tile (the one at the absolute edge of the map).

Most of the wall is up, just need to work on mining gold to finish the towers now.  Updated the first post with some more screenshots, a count of the materials used, and the projects involved.  There's still one big area available on the last side of the courtyard if anyone has any suggestions on how to use it.

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2010, 07:02:45 am »

It doesn't have to be the absolute source, just as long as it's a 'river' tile it can accept an inf. amount of water into it.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2010, 12:10:55 pm »

Yeah...  although after I got the dam up, i realized that the problems I had with job cancellation spam weren't so much because water was getting past the pumps, but because water from the other side of the river was flowing back towards the source.   Food for thought when damming larger rivers.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2010, 04:10:32 pm »

First post updated with screenshots!  The silver arch at the main gate is complete, there's a new depot, the barracks are complete (though unfurnished), the wall is almost entirely build, and the towers are all going up nicely.  Also put up something to give you an idea as to the scale of the project (over 700 tiles wide, counting only the walls, towers, etc on the 'exterior'  edge of the project)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2010, 04:12:22 pm »

You should build adamantine ramps, to make the thing come out smoother.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2010, 04:58:40 pm »

Wow, that looks fantastic. You are truly a dwarven architect of legend.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2010, 05:00:52 pm »

You do know you could still "build" on the edges by using magma and water? Or so I have understood.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5