Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Estimates about the beginning of the army arc.  (Read 1724 times)

Karl_Delacroix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Estimates about the beginning of the army arc.
« on: December 17, 2007, 03:31:00 pm »

Not to put pressure on Toady or act like a "WANT NAO!" jerk, because Toady is doing an awesome work, an as soon as I have the money to spare, at least 20$ are going Toady's way for his work. Just curious about how much everyone here expects to wait before seeing the army arc come to fruition.

My guess is about 5-6 weeks until bugs of the current version are brought down to a reasonable level. Could be more if Toady wants the current version more refined, I don't know. So what do you guys think ?

..like eagles on pogo sticks!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Estimates about the beginning of the army arc.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 09:13:00 pm »

It seems most of the major bugs have been worked out at this point. I'd imagine the army arc will begin sometime in the next month or two.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 10:42:00 pm »

The suggestions forum will be packed with ideas soon as he gets started  :D
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 12:30:00 am »

The army arc will be implemented the week I have some giant architecture project due, this I know.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 01:47:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by JoRo:
<STRONG>The army arc will be implemented the week I have some giant architecture project due, this I know.</STRONG>

IRL of dwarf fortress? :)

The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 05:58:00 pm »

By the sounds of it, both!
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Naero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 06:29:00 pm »

Oh I am looking foward to the combat arc so... so... much. I just can't wait until I can send armies of miners off to Elven retreats to do horrible, horrible things to them. Typically involving magma vents, digging lots of channels, and then diverting said magma through aforementioned channels into stupid Elven retreat full of hippys.

Then watching them buuuuurn.

Quote from: Toady One
# 03/17/2009: The broken-armed dwarf understood that he needed to run off to the hospital zone properly, but care never came, because I'm still working on that. Poor little buddy.
#  03/18/2009: He's now surrounded by many skilled medical professionals. They still aren't all that useful, but just their presence must be encouraging for him. Well, I guess that's not true either.

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 01:08:00 am »

getting the armies going around in adv mode wouldn't be hard at all, would just involve migrants being equipped with weapons  :D.

the fortress mode armies might be a bit more work.  
--Do we control [armies] directly? (if not this might be a good idea for that 'mp fortress' people discussed - send army over to the other guy's base and they deal with it  :D)
--If so, how and when (ie would we save fortress mode and choose "army mode"?)
--If the dwarves were skilled, could we invade and effectively 'reclaim' a new fort, or would the dwarves come back home where everyone else is waiting for them?
--how long would it take for the attacks to take effect? ie if we wiped out our local goblins, how long before they came back with new ones?  or have we wiped them out completely and we have no more sieges at home?

the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

Karl_Delacroix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 09:50:00 am »

Well if I didn't read wrong today's update looks like it starts next week XD
..like eagles on pogo sticks!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 04:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by frostedfire:
<STRONG>getting the armies going around in adv mode wouldn't be hard at all, would just involve migrants being equipped with weapons     :D.

the fortress mode armies might be a bit more work.  
--Do we control [armies] directly? (if not this might be a good idea for that 'mp fortress' people discussed - send army over to the other guy's base and they deal with it     :D)
--If so, how and when (ie would we save fortress mode and choose "army mode"?)
--If the dwarves were skilled, could we invade and effectively 'reclaim' a new fort, or would the dwarves come back home where everyone else is waiting for them?
--how long would it take for the attacks to take effect? ie if we wiped out our local goblins, how long before they came back with new ones?  or have we wiped them out completely and we have no more sieges at home?</STRONG>

I imagine it working somewhat similarly to adventure mode, being able to tell your army where to go, and then zooming to any battles that take place to command your squads. It would all have to work parallel to fortress mode, such that once you sent your army somewhere, you'd have to play fortress mode until they get to their location.

EDIT: Oh, and I might mention that this would be a very good use for immigrants.

EDIT2: Cleaned up some atrocious grammar...

[ December 19, 2007: Message edited by: Tahin ]

coolguy1351

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 05:42:00 pm »

That would look cool, sending an army of lye makers, potash makers, milkers, herbalists, fish/animal dissectors, peasants, wood burners, threshers, animal caretakers, children?, trappers, whatever, to go attack a goblin fortress.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 06:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by coolguy1351:
<STRONG>That would look cool, sending an army of lye makers, potash makers, milkers, herbalists, fish/animal dissectors, peasants, wood burners, threshers, animal caretakers, children?, trappers, whatever, to go attack a goblin fortress.</STRONG>

An army of fish cleaners wold be unstoppable!
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 08:15:00 pm »

I'm so going to Declare war on Terrorism, and claim that the Kobolds and Orcs are holding Weapons of Mass Destruction. Then I'll keep my troops stationed in all the towns until Democracy unfolds...
Yeah..yeah that'll do... that'll do

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 03:16:00 am »

Don't forget the elfs they have nukes in their trees.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 09:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Keilden:
<STRONG>Don't forget the elfs they have nukes in their trees.</STRONG>

Actually I think their nukes ARE the trees! If one were to dig up a tree they'd find no roots...but the exhuast pipes and the turbines!!!

Pages: [1] 2