Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Population cap  (Read 993 times)

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Population cap
« on: March 22, 2007, 08:51:00 pm »

Thank you so much for adding this in!!!!  I haven't played DF for quite a few months, and I came back to find this.  I ended up abandoning forts after a year or two as I simply did not have any fun managing 20-30+ dwarves, and the game ran too slow.  Now I have a way to really play the game how I want.  thank yoU!!

[ March 22, 2007: Message edited by: Baro ]

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
Re: Population cap
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 11:26:00 pm »

trouble managing -thirty- dwarves? hooo boy.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 02:24:00 am »

Note that he/she didn't necessarily say that they had trouble managing them, just that it wasn't enjoyable.

(That said, I find anything in the double digits to be difficult to manage.)

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 12:17:00 pm »

ok, I set the max pop in the init file to 20, but on my first immigration wave I got the biggest ever sending me from 8 to 28 !!  I've heard reports that sometimes the pop goes up a little over the limit, but should I abandon my game and try again?  I really want to make a fort for about 20-30 people without having to make an immigrant "processing" floodgate room.

I've had forts of 100+ dwarves, but I like to get to know every dwarf, just look at the name and think "oh that's so and so my main wood cutter, he lives here and loves jet and killed that batman once".  Over 10 really loses that ability to really remember each dwarf as a beloved character, but 20-30 seems about right for a little commune where I can still lavish each dwarf with a multi-room home full of their favorite things.

[ March 23, 2007: Message edited by: Baro ]

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 12:24:00 pm »

i think the way it works, is that imagrants will only come if you are below the cap.  the wave its self may take you over the cap, and nobles will always show up if the requirements for having them are met.

but i dont think you get nobles before about 40 dwarfs.  and surely about 8 of those guys will be killed by giant moles or while hunting elephants or something, over the next few years.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 01:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Baro:
<STRONG>I got the biggest ever sending me from 8 to 28 !!

I really want to make a fort for about 20-30 people</STRONG>

Last time I checked, 28 was between 20 and 30
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

MJ working

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 04:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast:
<STRONG>
Last time I checked, 28 was between 20 and 30</STRONG>

No, no no. Start counting from the fingers on the right, towards the left.

:)

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 12:02:00 am »

My latest immigration wave on my current third-Spring fortress took me from 38 dwarves to 65 dwarves, and that was when I was just running out of food... thank goodness I managed to get some food harvested before more than a third of my population went rat-hunting.  No one died, either.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 09:14:00 pm »

What's the population or requirements needed for nobles?  I had been successfully running my ~20 person fort for a couple years and I bumped the max pop up to 30 after preparing 10 new rooms.  12 new dwarves showed up, but 5 were killed by the lovely elephants that seem to guard the river crossing.  So, I had under 30 dwarves due to these deaths.  Another 2 dwarves died trying to fetch the dead before I could forbid them outside.  My total pop was about 23 at this point.  A little while later, 4 nobles showed up.  I did NOT expect any nobles as I heard 40-50 was the requirement for that.

What exactly are the requirments for nobles?  i guess 23 was enough in this case.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 09:08:00 am »

Not all nobles have population requirements.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 09:50:00 pm »

20 is enough to get a manager + sheriff, trading alone will get you a broker and other trade oriented nobles, making 3 stacks of coins will get you a bookkeeper, more coins gets you the other coin related nobles (and dungeonmaster). The Baron will come when you have the broker, bookkeeper, manager combo - he brings tax collector and hammerer.

So 20 is really the magic number for a bunch of nobles to arrive. You can curtail it if you don't mint coins to get a bookkeeper, but that is currently very ill advised since you can't melt or chasm items without him yet (hopefully this changes in the future).

All of this info is readily available on the wiki under nobles. See here: Linky

[ March 25, 2007: Message edited by: Paul ]

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link